Start by marking “The Delphi Room” as Want to Read:
The Delphi Room

The Delphi Room

Is it possible to find love after you’ve died and gone to Hell? For oddball misfits Velvet and Brinkley, the answer just might be yes. after Velvet hangs herself and winds up trapped in a bedroom she believes is Hell, she comes in contact with Brinkley, the man trapped next door.
Published September 15th 2013 by ChiZine Publications (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Delphi Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Delphi Room

Start your review of The Delphi Room
Ally
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh my God. Literally no words.
Becca
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved the book but thought the ending was weak...
Megan
Purple prose, bizarrely heightened dialogue that only works during the sections written out like a script (these characters always act like they are in a bad play, but some sections actually have set directions), weird ideas about what it means to be mentally ill, medication is bad! (shouted, repeatedly, by the main character, even though she's killed herself for refusing to take it), both characters have absolutely monstrous mothers who are also somehow the exact same character, references to ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
DNFd @ 46%

I started reading this book the other day because the premise sounded interesting. Although I found the writing a bit clunky from the beginning, I thought it worked well for the main character's story.

Velvet is a pretty depressing girl and doesn't start the story in a good place. So where she ends up isn't a surprise. But what starts out as an interesting story soon turns into a bit of a borefest. I didn't enjoy the letters she exchanges with Brinkley. And couldn't get into the
Duncan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This had a great concept. I was convinced this was a ‘limbo’ type situation until the twist at the end. However I wish the characters were more interesting. The interactions between Velvet and Brinkley were realistic but I didn’t connect with them on any level. For such a short word count there was a lot of trauma shoved into their descriptions which made it feel forced. Overall it was a great idea that lacked likeable characters.

2/5

#TheDelphiRoom #MeliaMcClure #GoodReads #Bookstagram
Stephanie Galay
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful read. Interesting characters and a good twist on the ending.
Gary
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(This review also appears at the Court Street Literary Collective, LTD, at http://courtstreetliterary.com/archiv...)

“My mother was on her way over the day I hung myself.”

With this startling, mysterious line, author Melia McClure begins The Delphi Room, a fascinating and engrossing novel that is at times beautiful, heartbreaking, terrifying, and perplexing. It’s even funny. Often, it’s all of these things simultaneously.

After taking her own life, a young woman, Velvet, lands in a kind of
Jeff Dick
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chizine
Compelling Premise

Can two misfits find love after death?

This is the interesting question at the heart of The Delphi Room, although I might suggest that the book also explores the question of finding love for oneself after death.

In a beautiful opening chapter, Velvet commits suicide at the urging of her psychosis Shadowman. Afterward, she finds herself alone, locked in a room in what she believes is Hell. Her only companion is another recently deceased prisoner who is locked in a room of his own.
Celise
2.5 stars, but I did like it. No spoilers, promise.

It's hard to review a book objectively, but I think this piece deserves it. It's extremely creative and refreshing, and I do recommend it to anyone who reads this. It's very short, my copy was only 165 pages.

Like most Canadian film, and in this case I think it's a perfect parallel, this Canadian author examines identity, depressing childhoods and adds a quirky twist to it that is both mesmerizing and disturbing. Canadian cinema is more often
Lauralee Kelly
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Delphi Room so much, and can hardly wait for the next book by Ms. McClure. I won't spoil it for anyone, but I think this book has perhaps the best, most beautifully written ending to any book, ever. I found it deep, dark, and funny. One of my many favorite lines: "Reading a man's handwriting is like seeing him naked."

I have a hunch that Ms. McClure is channeling something larger, and I see her as an integral part of an understanding and interested in spiritual themes such as the
Paula Moffat
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me on the first page. I was trying to save it for my vacation, but simply couldn't wait to see what happened to Velvet & Brinkley. The format of the book is most unusual, but very readable. The characters, although dead are so alive and believable, and the subject matter dark, but laced with delicious humor. I found myself laughing out loud at times. This writer paints a perfect picture. You can see and feel the characters and their surroundings as if you are there, and the ...more
Rachel Bridgeman
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, heartwrenching story beginning with a woman, Velvet, hanging herself.
In doing so she becomes entangled with the man next door, Brinkley, in this startlingly original novel.
The deoiction of the Afetrlife, and the use of filmic imagery stays with you long after reading, I genuinely enjoyed reading this original, and affecting novel.
Seamless weaving of narratives puts you firmly inside the minds of Brinkley and Velvet,
it explores a new version of the Afterlife(lives?) in a highly
Lene Estvad
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I'd recommend to all of you who enjoy being carried away by beautiful prose, while exploring and learning more about the quirkiness of the human mind. An emotional roller coaster ride - scary, funny, disturbing - leaving you wanting for more. A story exquisitely composed by an author with a compassionate heart, and a desire to nudge us towards a deeper comprehension of how differently we perceive as well as cope with the challenges of life.
Kenneth Hoover
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. McClure takes a lot of chances with this book and for the most part she brings them off. It's very experimental in nature, which I liked, and included Old Hollywood Movie references along with sections written as a screenplay.

I think McClure set the bar pretty high for herself, and met those goals. This isn't your ordinary paranormal romance, but something much deeper, much more visceral. Give it a peek.
Janette Mcmahon
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simply a wonderful beautifully written novel of finding love after you have given up and in am impossible place. McClure writes a story through letters passed through a wall and instead of being choppy for the reader it flows. The characters were enduring or even likable in my opinion, but the descriptions and the way the author wrote about feelings pulls you into the story despite the characters. Would recommend to those looking for something a bit different and enjoys true literary works.
Karzy21
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! I started reading it and couldn't put it down. It immediately captures you. I finished it one day! The imagination, and the character development is really something else. It's brilliant writing! It's dark and surreal but very quirky and humorous at the same time. I highly recommend it.
spiro
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable, page-turner to the very end. Fascinating and thought-
provoking. Loved the ending, loved every word of this book! The letters the characters write to each other are highly entertaining, full of colour, wit and emotion. Would love to see this book made in to a movie.
Stephanie
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, gothic, supernatural
First of all, what an interesting (and horrifying) vision of hell: a small room where you are trapped, alone, with nothing to do forever. Yikes.

Interesting story, if rather depressing. I kept reading, though, so it didn't get me down too much.
Roesmarie Bock
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me from the very beginning and held my interest through the entire book. I don't tend to finish many books as I get tired of them, so this is a definite good sign. Melia's writing is awesome and she just makes you want to continue reading.
Tamar16
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the first page of this novel, I loved it, loved it, loved it. It is gripping and I couldn't put it down. Best book ever!
Taylormade13
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Darkly funny, hauntingly moving, startlingly original. This book is like no other. It grabs on and won't let go.
Orchid14
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From the first word to the last, this poetic, totally original novel
captivates. Makes you think about life, death, love and reality in new
ways. And it makes you laugh. Riveting.
Jeff
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely must read! I couldn't put it down!
Jeannie Zanni
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an exquisite, profound, harrowing, funny book. I adored the ending -- it is surprising and moving, a perfect end to an extraordinary reading experience.
Angela
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: si-fi
I was interested in the beginning and the end. Started brushing through the middle just cause it was getting boring. I was also hoping for a little more at the end.
Rennie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not a bad idea and the first half was fair but in the end I just found it too disjointed for me to stick with so I read the last few pages and moved on.
Miguel Del Pino

• The October Country
  • The Institute
  • Firefly
  • Duel
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
Melia McClure is the author of The Delphi Room, a quirky, darkly surreal novel published by ChiZine Publications in September 2013. She has adapted The Delphi Room into a screenplay. Her fiction has been shortlisted in the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation National Literary Awards, and she is the editor of Meditation & Health magazine, which is distributed in multiple locations in the United ...more