Jump to ratings and reviews

Ditzabled Princess: A Comical Diary Inspired by Real Life

Jewel at 33 is a Princess in her own right.
She's a fun-loving, demanding Diva who loves to shop as much she loves to write. Jewel is the apple of everyone's eye--be it her doting family, her doctor for her never-ending bowel issues, her pushy book editor and especially her frugal husband's soft spot. So, what's Jewel 's weakness? Her pet dogs: Snowie and Dolly. Particularly, naughty Snowie who is known to pee wherever he fancies--including Dolly's face!
For Jewel, her physical disability doesn't dampen her spirits. Rather, it enhances them. She gets to use an unusual fashion accessory (Imagine: A hot pink elbow crutch.) She gets out of doing housework. She gets carried up-and-down stairs like a Princess a la command. Jewel may be horribly messy, terrible with numbers and a workaholic, but nobody can imagine life without her. Not that she would let them, anyway! She has a big mouth, remember?
About the Author
Once a teen runaway, Jewel Kats is now a self-made Diva. Her closet is stuffed with fashion and beauty accessories.She's overcome sexual abuse, disabilities, you name it... Jewel interned in the TV studio of Entertainment Tonight Canada. She appeared in a documentary series by the Oprah Winfrey Network (Canada) in 2012.
Learn more at www.DitzabledPrincess.com

Loading interface...

About the author

Jewel Kats

16 books133 followers
Once a teen runaway, Jewel Kats is now a two-time Mom’s Choice Award winner. For six years, Jewel penned a syndicated teen advice column for Scripps Howard News Service (USA) and The Halifax Chronicle Herald. She gained this position through The Young People’s Press. She’s won $20,000 in scholarships from Global Television Network, and women’s book publisher: Harlequin Enterprises. Jewel also interned in the TV studio of Entertainment Tonight Canada. Her books have been featured in Ability Magazine (USA) twice. She’s authored eight books-five are about disabilities. The Museum of disABILITY History celebrated her work with a two-day event. Jewel has appeared as an international magazine cover story four times! Recently, her work was featured in an in-depth article published in “The Toronto Star”. Jewel’s work has also appeared as an evening news segment on WKBW-TV and on the pages of “The Buffalo News”.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (11%)
1 star
1 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Desere.
758 reviews77 followers
April 19, 2013

I have very often looked at people with disabilities that have become great sport hero's, or actors. I see these people as true living proof that all can be done, overcoming their disabilities and making the most of it.

One such person is author Jewel Kats, even though she has a disability she has taken it and turned her life into a real everyday rocking it out party!

In her book Ditzabled Princess she showed me as reader that there is nothing you cannot do, and living everyday to the fullest, even though some of your actions may drive those around you crazy, it is all about having fun!

This was a very short read coming in at 69 pages, mostly filled with the most entertaining pictures and one liner sentences, and I read it in under just 15 min.

You might be thinking that is too short and pictures why would anyone read a book similar to a comic strip, well I can tell you that the reason is a fantabulous hot pink, awesome, partylicious reason, you will walk away with a very powerful message. And what is most awesome, is that the author managed to give me as reader such a powerful message by hardly saying anything at all. Now that is talent!

The message that will stay with you for the rest of your life,... "I can do this, no matter what seems to be in my way, I CAN DO THIS"

The author shows courage and a lot of glamour, and does so with more flair than fireworks at any showdown not to mention humour lots and lots of humour!

Ladies this is the type of woman who would be BFF to anyone and I tell you I would be tickled pink to have her as my friend, for I know I would not have one dull moment EVER!

I highly recommend this read for all lovers of reading, for those seeking something new, fun and fresh for their reading senses and for anyone and every one that has ever had some kind of disability or knows someone that does. You will get a message either way ! I look forward to her next book!

Excellent work Jewel, please keep writing !
5/5 star review
" Rocking disability the DIVA-licious way!
Profile Image for Nas Dean.
811 reviews37 followers
April 24, 2013
DitzAbled Princess: A Comical Diary Inspired by Real Life

DitzAbled Princess, A Comical Diary by author Jewel Kat is March 2013 release by Marvelous Spirit Press.

It is hilarious comic strip detailing the writer's life as a disabled but strong-willed heroine. She gets everyone to do her bidding and in general acts a diva.

I loved reading the one-liners and the strips. It showed the vulnerability underneath our heroine's tough exterior. Yet she shows determination and courage despite her disability. A true hero!

Jewel Kat's wit and humor shows through her writing. All readers would take away courage and determination for their own shortcomings after reading DitzAbled Princess, A Comical Diary.

Highly recommended for readers everywhere!
Profile Image for Fran.
Author 42 books122 followers
June 1, 2013
DitzAbled Princess: A Comical Diary Inspired by Real Life: Jewel Kats
Illustrated by Katarina Andriopoulos

Throughout life we all encounter many obstacles that block our successes, hamper our capabilities or even try and knock us down if we let them. Some people fall prey to these weaknesses and others use them to forge ahead, strengthen their resolve to succeed and never look back at what is trying to causing their downfall. Jewel Kats uses her sense of humor, her creative mind and her special likes and dislikes to create her own special journal, diary with hilarious scenes colorfully and graphically depicted by a very talented illustrator to let readers get an inside view of her life.

Dizabled Princess is a story in comic form of author Jewel Kats whose typical day or week is spent as I can identify with in so many ways the Nail Salon, dealing with drivers to take me wherever I have to go and even asking a psychic a simple question about her dogs who are her two favorite you might say “people,” in a way to Jewel. Throughout the book she describes her family starting with her Mom who you just have to love. Neat, organized and definitely loved by the dogs, who wouldn’t love her with the way she treats them, Mom is a unique person that you just have to love. Next, well read Doggie Diapers if you want to get to know more about her relationship with her mom.

Now, I have to admit that there are many things about Jewel that remind me of me in so many ways so when she hires a company to decorate her Christmas Tree I had to really smile. When she tried to cook for her husband and blew up the stove I really knew she was my kind of person and so like me. Catering is the only way I cook and decorating things well when someone can do it better, why not let them. Jewel the Slob: Well I am better now then I was many years ago when I would drop things on the floor, clutter the closets and remind myself to take out the garbage at the end of the day. I am much neater now but Jewel you read it to find out more. Fun Mail: her boss loves her because everyone reads her columns, books, her humor and her work. You will too. But, her dear husband is truly you might say a “Saint.” But, every he does have one serious flaw: he is too penny pinching and money wise.

Jewel has a arthritis and she uses a pink arm crutch not only to help her walk but because it can be a useful fashion accessory. She also has as you will learn problems with her bowels which I will not share with you since you do understand that doctors cannot tell too much: Hipaa Law. Now, let’s get back to her husband who believe it or not uses graphs and charts to keep track of his recent inheritance, he is as she states cheap but he does cater to her every wish. What more can you ask for? Just listen to their conversation to understand who is really in charge in the chapter titled: Hubby. But, Jewel is definitely her own person with her own specific style and of course she knows whose charge card to use when a sale has to be made. But, her husband is quite a you might say food saver as he decided to eat a rotten mango because only one half was bad. Do you think he learned his lesson? Watching a chick flick: Any takers?

We all like to bring out our inner child and of course some of us are really good at over reacting and bringing out the Drama Queen sometimes pays off. Getting to know Jewel we realize that her personality is quite strong, her ideals not any different than most women who love shopping in the best stores, enjoying life to the fullest, overlooking her disabilities, not worrying about what else might happen next and just living life.
Now, let’s me Baby Sis and Middle Sis and learn more about her family. Baby sis is a college grad with a sarcastic personality and definitely really pretty. The rest and their relationship you need to read for yourself. Can’t spill it all. Too much gossip for one book review. Some tidbits it’s more fun to learn for yourself. So, I will give you just a tad about Middle Sis who reminds me of my late sister, Marcia Joyce. She is smart, levelheaded, hard working and mature. She holds a high-power position in a corporation and the rest you guessed it. Find out for yourself. However, I will tell you that she is married to an accountant who is a saver. More in the comic section titled Toronto Night Club. My favorite is Shoe Sale.

Dad is quite unique. He is semi-retired and loves reading and watching sports. Jewel and her father have a special bond as you will learn and he’s my kind of dad who indulges Jewel, her mother and buys for everyone but himself. Read Zen Coffee Order to learn more about Dad. But, if you need a god laugh read Don’t Judge Jewel where she announces to the world that she is famous. Jewel is possessive of everything including her BFF so what she tells her when she finds out she is moving and why her friend decided to move to New York.

The most touching scene is when Jewel is speaking to an older woman on the bus and the older woman feels bad for her because she is disabled. But, Jewel’s response will let you know that she bounces back from negative comments and can deal with life in a positive way. When her husband goes on a business trip see the transformation of her apartment. So, me. From birthday parties for her dogs to permanent eye makeup and hot flashes this cute and amazingly illustrated comic tells the story in a unique way of one woman who has spunk, tenacity, guts, vibrancy and a heart of definite 24 carat gold. Jewel is special, loves to shop, high heels don’t really matter to her and she is a true Princess in so many ways and with a husband who caters to her, sisters that are hilarious and a disability that does not get her down I can agree with our Jewel: High Heels are overrated. I prefer flats. Not allowing anyone to make her feel bad, understanding that her husband needed to go on a business trip and so what if her room is a mess. From permanent makeup to mink lashes and her own special touch for celebrating her birthday this one 33-year-old woman who has spunk, energy and just loves life. Meet Jewel for yourself when you read her special story told in her own special and unique way. Make sure you check out the pictures they speak volumes.

Fran Lewis: Reviewer

Profile Image for Elaine.
807 reviews14 followers
February 27, 2017
I am grateful to have won this graphic novel in a Goodreads Giveaway.

I enjoyed this short graphic novel of author, Jewel Kats's life. It is adorable and presents living instead of coping, an inspiring way to tell a story of one who has a disability. This book is very brief and seems more like a preview for a longer, more in-depth telling to come. I'd love to see more!
Profile Image for Rod Brown.
4,952 reviews164 followers
February 26, 2017
I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.

I like the idea of this book - a bubbly, sexy woman faces her disability with positivity and humor - but the execution falls flat in writing and art.

The brunt of the book is in gag-a-day comic strip format, and unfortunately, none of the punchlines in the final panel are very funny. Some pages are given over to profiles of the author and her family, which generally serve as introductions to the following gag strips. I would have preferred having the family members introduced in the strips themselves. In the end this book seems more like a random sampling of existing material rather than a new graphic novel or cohesive compilation.

And the art . . . In any given panel, the art looks all right though slightly amateurish. But as you view panel after panel, it is apparent the artist is making heavy use of the copy-and-paste function in whatever software she is using to create the strips. I think she has literally drawn the main character's head only once in her life. Since then she simply flips it left or right and adjusts the eyeballs and mouth slightly to make the appropriate expressions. If she's not going to put in much effort, then perhaps neither should I.
Profile Image for Wayne Walker.
856 reviews12 followers
May 31, 2013
Although I went through a short comic-book phase as a boy, it didn’t last very long, and now I don’t really care to read or review “graphic novels” which are just a fancy kind of comic book. However, when I was asked if I would consider reviewing DitzAbled Princess by Jewel Kats, I readily agreed because I have read and reviewed other books by this author which have been quite good. Kats is a former teen runaway who suffers with a physical disability which results from never-ending bowel issues but has authored seven books and for six years penned a syndicated advice column for teens.

Kats has also written a reality-series comic strip based on her own life, from which I assume this book is taken. In it, she discusses and pictures her relationships with her mom, a saleslady by day and a nagging mother by night; her hubby, who is cheap but is her biggest fan; her baby sister, a recent university graduate and new accountant; her middle sister, who holds as high power corporate position; her dad, a former electrical engineer and semi-retired real estate agent; and her BFF (best friend forever), who recently moved to New York City. Someone described the gook as a “Graphic Novel (a comic strip book for kids).” However, while there’s nothing really objectionable in it, the nature of the subject matter just seems to me to be more suitable for teens and adults.

Jewel's weakness is her pet dogs, Snowie and Dolly. Naughty Snowie is said to “pee” wherever he fancies, including on Dolly's face. Also, in one panel, Jewel visits a psychic. But the positive benefit of the book is that it portrays a person who has overcome numerous problems to become a great success and whose physical disability doesn't dampen her spirits. All of us need to remember that we are more than just what others can see on the outside. I understand that graphic novels are really popular with many kids nowadays. With Jewel’s hot pink elbow crutch, the kind of humor in this women's comic book would probably appeal most to teen girls who enjoy reading about a modern-day Diva and Princess who loves to shop as much she loves to write.
Profile Image for TashNz.
722 reviews17 followers
April 28, 2013
Ditzabled Princess is a hilarious collection of comic strips based on Jewel Kats, an established author, comic strip writer and in my opinion all round truly inspirational person.

Firstly I must say based on the cover I would not be able to resist picking up Ditzabled Princess if I walked past it in a book shop. The cover is bright, friendly and girly and it just begs to be picked up. The hot-pink crutch also catches my eye and I immediately realized the play on words with Ditzabled. My curiosity was totally captured.

Once I opened it up I found a colourful, hilarious and completely engaging comical diary; which turn out to be a collection of comics based on the life of Jewel Kats and the people in her life which include Hubby, BFF, Mom, Baby -Sis to name a few.

I could not put it down, I laughed and giggled and chuckled away. The comics were short and to the point. Although I'm an able-bodied person I could understand Jewel's comics and the musings she shares about what a day in her life incurs.

I enjoyed the comic strips so much I wanted to learn more about Jewel Kats and understand her I had to look her up and I've discovered she's a -mazing and a truly inspirational. During my journey around the interweb I must share this fantastic link I have found which I will be keeping in my favorite's file http://tapastic.com/series/316 . This is also a brilliant taste of what to expect in the Ditzabled Princess.
Also, if anyone out there reading this can help Jewel with her dream of creating a doll based on Cinderella's Magical Wheelchair please, please get in touch with her.

Finally, this was my first introduction to Jewel Kats, I feel better off for having read Ditzabled Princess and for discovering a fantasitcally inspirational person and I will be keeping a close eye on the new comics published.

Ditzabled Princess WILL be staying on my coffee table to share with my friends.

Find out more about Jewel here: http://www.jewelkats.com/
Profile Image for Ernest Dempsey.
24 reviews2 followers
August 21, 2013
In DiTzabled Princess, Jewel Kats portrays the essence of her life’s pleasures in a series of comic strips. Kat’s eponymous character of an urban “princess” is a lively soul and loves to remain the spoiled girl of her dear ones, particularly of her mom and hubby. Her choices and abilities light the pages for her readers.

Besides the content, a major appeal of Kat’s book surely is its look. The superb illustrations by artist Katarina Andriopoulos make this work an attraction with creative page layout, design, and vibrant colors.

Kat’s DiTzabled Princess is primarily a hot read for women, more particularly those who have any disability or self-confidence issues. But it is a cool read for anyone having a taste for books that value one’s daily life.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.