Start by marking “The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising” as Want to Read:
The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising

The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising

The Generosity Networkis the essential guide to the art of activating resources of every kind behind any worthy cause.Philanthropist Jeff Walker and fund-raising expert Jennifer McCreaoffer a fresh new perspective that can make the toughest challenges of nonprofit management and development less stressful, more rewarding—and even fun.
Walker and McCrea show how
Published September 24th 2013 by Deepak Chopra (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Generosity Network, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generosity Network

Start your review of The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising
Kelly
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, reference
Great book on how to position messaging and fundraising asks, and how to build meaningful relationships with donors. It's really about getting to the why of the donor and matching it to the why of the organization, as well as not taking the donor for granted (or just as a bank account).
Matt Morgan
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was a good quick read with some helpful insights into the world of fundraising. Mainly geared towards individual gifts, I did not find it as useful for working with corporate partners. Nonetheless, Jennifer and Jefferey clearly have years of experience they are sharing through lots of storied examples. Here are some of my quick takeaways:

- "the real epiphany came one day when the real difference between salesmanship and raising money for a great (social cause) suddenly hit me. I'm not
Jim Robles
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book synthesizes a great deal of, while not new, good content into a well organized whole. A great deal of the content is entirely consistent with my experience at The Boeing Company: I think that is a positive? The Epilogue is very good in describing - in other words - the "good life" that is at once contemplative, active, a life of service, and to some extent pessimistic.

The Avatar Strategy is new and insightful, and seems quite promising.

I disagree profoundly with the p. 243 assertion
Mance
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book does a good job introducing new paradigms to view your fund-raising work, but I don't think it really delivers on actually improving your systems as a stand-alone work. I could see it being helpful in conjunction with a workshop or something. But there's just not enough realistic detail or workbook questions or something is missing. I read this and felt pretty good about implementing new ideas, the next day our Board wanted to launch a new fundraising project and it's like...the book ...more
Danni
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read! I felt like every chapter had a really awesome take-away that I could help my organization put into practice right away along with validation for the good steps we were already taking. Easy to read and full of real-life examples, this is a must read for every non-profit professional (development staff or not!).
Missdoster
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The passion for fundraising and relationship-building that the authors share shines through this book. I appreciated much of the paradigm-shifting perspectives they detail about the work of fundraisers, and the book had less "fluff" than other professional development-type books. If you're in nonprofit fundraising or advocacy, I recommend it!
Marius Ciuzelis
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a good book especially for those in fundrasing as it provides some insights on technicalities, your team, board engagement, the ask. However, it still has too many “fluffy” stories of friends and mates of the author who more takes out of the book rather than enriches it.
Dav
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I find it incredibly funny that I met a real-life fundraiser the exact same day I finished this book. It's a great read, in simple language, and drives home the point that it's all about relationships and not quite so much about the money. I also liked the emphasis on "it's hard work", which it is. Great tips on how to apply theory to real life - I think I'll be flicking through this book time and time again. Just wish I'd bought a hard copy...
David Rubenstein
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Fabulous start - describes fundraising as building strong, individual relationships and offering individuals the opportunity to use philanthropy as a means of approaching their goals. Then it goes quickly into a blah, blah, blah typical fundraising book.

"Don't ever drop names" ... but it has at least one example on every page about how well connected the writers are and how fabulous everyone they know is.

Glad I read it, though, because of the first couple of chapters.
David
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Almost as much a self-help book as it is a tool kit for fundraising. Fundraising is not about getting money but is about building relationships and getting people to help fund goals they want to achieve. You need to have an clear understanding of what you think about money before you can truely talk to others about it. Though provocing and full of great ideas.
Melissa Jones
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of great advice and food for thought. Didn't give it 5 stars only because I found it tough to get into at the beginning - the writing felt a bit clunky with too many references to other people's experiences, rather than speaking from their own. Having said that, this will be added to my bookshelf as a good reference source.
Karen Matthews
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An insightful look at what makes people give of their time and/or money. Considering the topic is not that compelling, unless you're in fundraising, the book was an easy read that really held my attention.
Christina Kilby
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A refreshing take on nonprofit management books. I really enjoyed it and it gave me some great ideas!
Katie Boland
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good ideas for how to think about fund raising differently.
Alyson
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best fundraising books I have read.
Anna Maria

• Big Questions from Little People: And Simple Answers from Great Minds
  • The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year
  • Coming Back to Life: The Updated Guide to the Work that Reconnects
  • One Year Wiser: 365 Illustrated Meditations
  • Thirst: A Story of Redemption, Compassion, and a Mission to Bring Clean Water to the World
  • The Suburban Micro-Farm (Full Color Edition)
  • Putting Wealth to Work: Philanthropy for Today or Investing for Tomorrow?
  • Eight Dolphins of Katrina: A True Tale of Survival
  • Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
  • Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • Weslandia
  • Social Animals: A Berkley Bestiary
  • The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child