Jump to ratings and reviews
New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Diana Palmer takes readers back to Jacobsville, Texas, where Hayes Carson is a man on a mission—for justice.

Bobby Carson had been the only family Hayes had left in the world. A long, tall and serious Texan, Hayes has always suspected Minette Raynor had something to do with Bobby's death, that the bright-eyed blonde gave his brother the drugs that killed him. As far as Hayes is concerned, neither her looks nor anything else will stand in the way of him righting this grievous wrong.

Minette can't get handsome Hayes off her mind, or off her back. Even though his investigation of her is annoying, as an undercover DEA agent that's the least of her worries. Minette dismisses Hayes until she finds herself in great danger, and he's the only one who can save her. Can she count on Hayes to believe the truth—and save her life?

302 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Diana Palmer

853 books2,857 followers

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's liberation movement many years before it became fashionable. Her best friends are her mother and her sister, Dannis Spaeth (Cole), who now has two daughters, Amanda Belle Hofstetter and Maggie and lives in Utah. Susan grew up reading Zane Grey and fell in love with cowboys. Susan is a former newspaper reporter, with sixteen years experience on both daily and weekly newspapers. Since 1972, she has been married to James Kyle and have since settled down in Cornelia, Georgia, where she started to write romance novels. Susan and her husband have one son, Blayne Edward, born in 1980.

She began selling romances in 1979 as Diana Palmer. She also used the pseudonyms Diana Blayne and Katy Currie, and her married name: Susan Kyle. Now, she has over 40 million copies of her books in print, which have been translated and published around the world. She is listed in numerous publications, including Contemporary Authors by Gale Research, Inc., Twentieth Century Romance and Historical Writers by St. James Press, The Writers Directory by St. James Press, the International Who's Who of Authors and Writers by Meirose Press, Ltd., and Love's Leading Ladies by Kathryn Falk. Her awards include seven Waldenbooks national sales awards, four B. Dalton national sales awards, two Bookrak national sales awards, a Lifetime Achievement Award for series storytelling from Romantic Times, several Affaire de Coeur awards, and two regional RWA awards.

Inspired by her husband, who quit a blue-collar manufacturing job to return to school and get his diploma in computer programming, Susan herself went back to college as a day student at the age of 45. In 1995, she graduated summa cum laude from Piedmont College, Demorest, GA, with a major in history and a double minor in archaeology and Spanish. She was named to two honor societies (the Torch Club and Alpha Chi), and was named to the National Dean's List. In addition to her writing projects, she is currently working on her master's degree in history at California State University. She hopes to specialize in Native American studies. She is a member of the Native American Rights Fund, the American Museum of Natural History, the National Cattlemen's Association, the Archaeological Institute of Amenca, the Planetary Society, The Georgia Conservancy, the Georgia Sheriff's Association, and numerous conservation and charitable organizations. Her hobbies include gardening, archaeology, anthropology, iguanas, astronomy and music.

In 1998, her husband retired from his own computer business and now pursues skeet shooting medals in local, state, national and international competition. They love riding around and looking at the countryside, watching sci-fi on TV and at the movies, just talking and eating out.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
129 (7%)
1 star
55 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews
Profile Image for StMargarets.
2,808 reviews446 followers
May 13, 2020
2.5 rounded up stars. It’s not a terrible novel, but the romance was about 30% of the story. The hero is Carson Hayes, the lonely county sheriff who has always hated the heroine because he thinks she’s responsible for his brother’s overdose in high school.

Heroine wasn’t responsible - a fact that was established in a previous DP novel. Heroine is the editor of the Jacobsville newspaper and has a crush on the hero.

So the plot. Do you really want to know?

Simply put, it’s the ongoing saga of the Drug War of Jacobsville (the terrorist war having been won). In this installment, the war is between two rival Mexican drug dealers – The Thief (the bad drug dealer) and The Boss (the good drug dealer). Wait, you ask. how can there be a good drug dealer in DP’s world?

Easy. He’s the heroine’s father. He married her mother in Mexico and then sent her to Jacobsville when he realizes his drug career was endangering her. He’s never had a woman since. He goes to Mass each Sunday. He’s never killed anyone and he only tortures people a little bit. He hasn’t committed any crimes in the US so he’s built a horse farm outside of Jacobsville so he can protect his newfound daughter from his rival “The Thief.”

The story opens with the hero being shot in his house by an assassin hired by “The Thief.” He has no one to care for him (because he keeps a pet iguana) and heroine invites him to stay at her house until he recovers.

There’s some sexual tension that is sublimated into home cooking, watching cartoons with heroine’s orphaned step-siblings and name dropping every recent character in the Long Tall Texan series. The heroine eventually finds out who her father is and the H/h declare their love at about the same time – the halfway mark.

With all the emotional stuff taken care of, DP then has our couple kidnapped and hidden in Mexico.

Needless to say, they escape for their HEA with lots of help and the jewel encrusted toilet paper holder in the outhouse that allowed the heroine to saw through the cords binding her wrists.

DP also thoughtfully includes bonus facts about the history of ghillie suits, over-cutting of mesquite wood, and how to take care of your pet iguana.

Diana Palmer checklist:

Hairy chest Yes – the mat is back!
Breast Description Small, firm
Cigarettes/video games I just realized gaming is the new habit all of her recent heroes have defended.
Alcohol No
Town Descriptions Hero bought his iguana from a pet store in Jacobsville.
Gardenia Scent No
LOL detail “I have a coffee machine that uses pods.”
Cutesy detail Many iguana references and why cartoon movies are so good.
DP hobbyhorse Iguanas make great pets, video games are awesome, political correctness is ruining the country.
DP is trolling us “We don’t have a big employment pool here.” HA, HA, HA – that’s because everyone is already working at the mall, the airport, the community college, the hospital, all the stores and restaurants, the ranches, the local government, and all layers of law enforcement.
Profile Image for Dale Harcombe.
Author 12 books288 followers
April 13, 2021
Sherrif Hayes Carson has long held Minette Raynor responsible for her role in the drugs that killed his brother. He knows something about her that even she does not know. But he has promised never to tell and Hayes is, above all, a man of his word. He is good at his job despite having been shot twice in the course of dry. Hayes leads a rather lonely existence. Women are usually not too fond of his housemate Andy. Andy is a large iguana. When Hayes needs help after being shot for a third time, he is astounded at where that help comes from. But danger is also not far away.
I started this because I wanted a light read. It started out okay and Andy and his antics provided a few smiles. But the further this novel went on, the more it stretched credibility with drug lords and feuds. The way one of the drug lords is portrayed as being a church going man who would never hurt women and children was overemphasised. Characters lacked depth. The whole story became more and more far fetched while the sex scenes towards the end of the book were cringeworthy.
My first book by this author, I doubt I will be seeking out another one any time soon. Other people may enjoy it, but it was not to my liking. Just the wrong person obviously for this book.
Profile Image for Melanie♥.
1,064 reviews1 follower
July 12, 2013
I am rating this book based on the 50% of it I read before dozing off.

I used to be a big DP fan and still have a full shelf of keeper books by her. I should have stopped reading her books years ago, but I still feel compelled to read the new offerings.
I am SO over the never ending Long Tall Texans series and Jacobsville. It seems that DP just can't move on to anything new.

This book was a total disappointment. I didn't care about either of the characters and it was totally lacking tension, drama, angst or anything that I normally look for in a good category book.

I miss he DP of old.
Profile Image for Heather.
222 reviews5 followers
September 10, 2013
Disclosure: I was provided a ebook copy of "Protector" from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW
I have never written a negative review so this is going to be a long one so I can fully explain.

First I would like to say that I feel a little confused by the description of the book which makes the book sound much more exciting than it is. I saw no evidence in the book that Minette is an undercover DEA agent. I read the description after I read the book I went back to find where the story says she's undercover and couldn't. Also Hayes never really investigates Minette but instead their storyline is about him getting over blaming her, asking for her forgiveness and falling in love. No one is ever brought to justice for the death of Hayes brother and Hayes accepts that his brother was a drug addict who no one could have saved. And Hayes plays very little if any role in saving Minette's life. Poor guy doesn't event get to be the hero of his own story.

"Protector" returns readers to the small but ever exciting town of Jacobsville, Texas for the latest installment in Diana Palmer's long running Long Tall Texan series.
Sheriff Hayes Carson has been a bit player in the series over the last few books, often bringing comic relief to tense situations. As a longtime fan of the series I was happy to see Hayes have his turn as the hero of the story!
It's well-known to everyone in Jacobsville (and readers of the series) of Hayes's tragic loss of his brother due to a drug overdose. A death that he has long laid at the feet of Jacobsville resident Minette Raynor.
Minette has no idea why her long-time crush would blame her. She's a straight arrow who cares for her orphaned step-siblings while working as a reporter for a weekly paper. When Hayes is shot, Minette brings him into her home to recover. Hayes is quickly absorbed into the family and enjoys the attention from Minette, her young wards and her great-aunt Sarah.
As Hayes lets go of his grudge he struggles with whether or not to share a secret from Minette's past that could destroy her future. When the secret is revealed both Hayes and Minette find themselves kidnapped by a drug lord and held hostage in a Mexican border town.
Minette is one of Palmer's more modern (and stronger) heroines compared to her past few books. Unlike previous DP heroines, Minette has an education, a job, her own money, and no physical illness or impairment.
And Hayes God Bless him isn't borderline verbal abusive to the heroine (as some of DP's past alpha male heroes have been.)
Unfortunately that's where the positives of both main characters end. While both Hayes and Minette are both likeable enough they were one dimensional. The hero wasn't much of a hero. And the ending was a little absurd. I felt so much of the book was focused on summarizing story lines from past LTT characters (which seemed to be half the town), introducing new characters and setting up their future books, and just preaching about how in DP's day the country wasn't such a bad place that she forgot to actually develop a 3-D hero and heroine.
Minette's characteristics as a strong self-reliant heroine comes at the expense of allowing Hayes to shine as a hero. I think Mrs. Palmer was trying to give Hayes "feet of clay" (one of her favorite expressions) by having him make mistakes and not always save the day; but in doing so he came off as incompetent. More Barney Fife than Andy Griffith. There was a scene that was so unbelievable I imagine in real life a sheriff would be fired for the mistake. In Jacobsville you can apparently get a job with the Sheriff's Dept. without undergoing a background check, verification of references, having your address verified or being fingerprinted. In previous titles in the series (and this one too) the joke is that the sheriff uses phrases like crackers and milk and doesn't curse. Except he does use a couple of curse words repeatedly in Protector.
The dialogue between the characters isn't much fun and is very superficial. I skimmed through much of the dialogue. The characters spend a great deal of the book complaining about the state of the country.
Also hard to swallow was the pages and pages dedicated the the church-going drug lord with a heart of gold who provides health insurance for his drug mules. There's a lot of talk about how due to circumstance and birth, some people have no choice but to sell drugs and turn to a life of crime.
Despite Hayes and Minette being kidnapped there's no real sense of danger or urgency in the plot. And not a lot of romance beyond some groping make-out scenes. Generally in DP books it's more about the journey than the ending. This journey was a jumble of past and future characters that left little room for the "main" hero and heroine.
The real kicker-the guy who saves the day (along with the heroine) isn't Hayes but he has the same last name as Hayes. Talk about confusing.
The wrap up becomes a little more lighthearted and that's where Minette and Hayes have some fun and it feels more like a DP novel. Of course the last several pages are also dedicated to further flushing out the "other Carson's" character and preparing readers for his story.
I can't recommend "Protector" as a book that's worth your time and money. If you're a longtime fan of the series, then it's possibly worth a read, if only to meet new characters including Dane and Tess Lassiter's adult son Lassiter, Rourke (KC Kantor's rumored son) and Carson, who'll likely be the hero of the next LTT book. If you're new to DP's books, I'd recommend starting with earlier LTT titles. There are many many good ones!
Despite this being the second book in a row by DP that I'm unable to recommend, I still keep hoping to see DP reclaim her title as the queen of romance.
Profile Image for Rebekah.
836 reviews15 followers
August 7, 2013
The good news is, if this book can get published, there's hope for your book you've been writing, which I'm confident is a zillion times better written, more compelling, interesting, etc!

The bad news is, they published THIS one, so yours didn't get published, for which I am sorry.

I guess Diana Palmer is like a legacy with a long history of successes, so at this point she can just crank out whatever drivel she wants and they'll print it but jeez. A paragraph ended with "Everyone laughed," and that was the final straw for me.
Profile Image for *CJ*.
3,948 reviews420 followers
December 26, 2017
“Protector” is the story of Hayes and Minette.
When Sheriff Hayes is shot for the third time, this time at his home- he finds sanctuary for his recovery in the home of Minette, a journalist whom he considers his enemy and blames her for his brother’s death.
Soon he falls for her family and her innocent nature, while old secrets are revealed and an enemy threatens both their safety..
I adored this book. It was modern enough to be written in 2013, yet had the old school Diana Palmer feel with throwback values.
We had a scarred hero and a virgin heroine, some lighthearted but funny banter, adorable kids and a moody iguana, some paternity drama and evil villains mixed with passionate lovemaking and a HEA. Minimal angst and the hero wasn’t mean. And no OM/OW drama!
Thoroughly enjoyable read and addition to one of my favorite series. I’m so glad I chose this as my 700th book of 2017.
Safe
4.5/5
Profile Image for Shay.
15 reviews7 followers
July 25, 2013
After reading most of the books in the LTT series, I was expecting fireworks between Minette and Hayes Carson. Instead I got a boring novel with tons of backstory, info-dumps, rehashing, tangents, and former LTT characters parading through scene after scene in an effort to turn a 100 page book into a 300 page one.

Yeah, I want my nine bucks back.

A quarter of the way through, I began to wonder if I was reading a romance novel or a mundane recounting of Carson's convalescence. A hundred pages in, and I was still waiting for a kiss. Heck, I would've cheered a near miss by that point. And don't get me started on the saintly drug lord. (Seriously???)

"Protector" was devoid of all the hallmarks of a good romance: angst, high emotion and sizzling passion. The protagonists lacked even a smidgen inner conflict, which is most unfortunate because it's this element that made the author's older stories great.

If Ms. Palmer had invested the same amount of time developing the romance between Carson and Minette as she did setting up sequels for Mr. Unoriginal Moniker, Lassiter Redux, Oops-I-Have-A-Son, Desperately-Seeking-Dowdy-Virgin and the sheriff's coffee-fetcher, we may have had a decent book to read.

I tacked on an extra star because the author's cheesy sense of humor was alive and well and that made the story slightly entertaining. But then I took it back because the book's description was so incredibly off the mark that it left me speechless.

Minette is a journalist who owns a newspaper. Say it with me, J-O-U-R-N-A-L-I-S-T.

Journalist noun
"A person who writes for newspapers or magazines or prepares news to be broadcast on radio or television." (Oxford Dictionary)

That is a far cry from undercover DEA agent but, hey, I can see how they got it confused.

If there are any potential readers lingering out there, I beg you to forego this novel. You'll save yourself the hassle of having to return it for a refund.
Profile Image for Caitlin Wyatt.
379 reviews11 followers
May 27, 2013
I have been waiting for this book, for a really long time. Every fan has been itching for Hayes to finally get his story. I was really happy with the easy manner in which things unfolded. Lots of action and suspense & a slow tasteful romance the stuff you love about Diana Palmer. I love when the characters have to deal with the drug cartels. I was really happy to see Rodrigo again I loved his book. Also lots of side characters whom I now believe need stories. I really liked Minette even if she did dress a little funny for a twenty-something, it was quirky. Loved her little brother and sister, they were adorable. Also someone called someone else a dish, to say they were good looking!! I know I'm reading a Diana Palmer the minute someone calls someone else a dish. Just a beautiful, wholesome romance I truly enjoyed it. Also how cute is Andy the iguana?
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Angela Fristoe.
Author 20 books188 followers
August 20, 2013
I really wanted to like this one. I am a huge Diana Palmer fan, but lately I just can't seem to find one I like. The characters are 2 dimensional, and their interactions with each other were just the typical trip down memory lane to recap the current lives of former characters, to discuss some random topic, or to go in circles around the same old mystery. The good thing about this one was that they didn't constantly have silly arguments about how he thinks she's loose while she pines for him.

I know Palmer's stories are centered around a more wholesome life (although with mercenaries and drug dealers around every corner I highly question that), but they need to step into the twenty-first century. People in their twenties don't say "gosh" or "bite your tongue". Even with all the talk about gaming I feel like I'm reading one of my grandma's romances from thirty years ago.

I miss the Diana Palmer writing of the 90's. I found her characters more interesting and her writing fresher.
Profile Image for XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy.
1,473 reviews435 followers
July 7, 2013
The description has absolutely nothing to do with the book. Minnette is not a DEA agent and Hayes is not investigating her. It is extremely annoying for that fact alone but add to that a plot that feels overdone and recycled and you have a pretty disappointing combination. I was waiting for a kick butt heroine. I'm still waiting. Diana Palmer has been an auto-read author me for a very long time but it may be time to re-evaluate that. I'm sad to say this one missed the mark by a longshot starting with a misleading and erroneous description. How does it even get to the point of mass market release without someone noticing!??
Profile Image for Fran Alsaud.
610 reviews1 follower
April 11, 2020
Llevo una racha de historias de DP apenas aceptables. Han estado entretenidas, para pasar el rato y por eso he sido masoquista.
En esta, DP le dedicó más a la prosa y el héroe no es tal y es salvado por la heroína. Y nos preparó el camino para los nuevos personajes que vienen a continuación.
1,021 reviews8 followers
August 15, 2013
Review also posted on my blog http://thebookmomster.wordpress.com

Rating – 2 of 5 stars
Crackers and milk! This book is a bad episode of the Andy Griffith show. That said, it is also quintessential Diana Palmer. If you’ve read a lot of her books, then you know what to expect going in. Sheriff Hayes Carson has been in many of her previous books and he finally gets his story. He gets shot and the only person willing to take him in is Minette, the woman he has blamed for his brother’s death for years and hates. It doesn’t take long to figure out why that is and frankly his reasons were ridiculous.

Only in a Diana Palmer book are drug lords criminals, but decent because he offers his employees benefits. Ugh! Anyway, what I did like about this book is that compared to others, it was nice that Minette didn’t come off as a stupid twit like some other of her heroines. She also has her own money and is independent and even though Hayes hates her in the beginning, he’s not overly mean to her as heroes in other books have been.

Yet, the dialogue is not great through the book. A lot of characters are introduced and we see a lot of old favorites, but I think it was too much. Everything is spelled out as if the reader can’t figure anything out on our own. Some of the characters actions were laughable too. Hayes is a SHERIFF – yet Minette has to tell him he should report the fact his house is bugged. He acts like he never thought of that.

Overall, if you’re a fan of Diana Palmer, then I will say it’s better than it has been. If you’re just looking for a good romantic suspense book, this isn’t it. And don’t read the description of the book to decide – it’s completely WRONG. Hayes is not investigating Minette and she is not an undercover DEA agent. Who in the world wrote that and how did it make it to the cover of the book???
125 reviews
August 8, 2013
Long after I expected the book to end, it just keep going on. And on. And on. Any intrigue was so transparent it was nonexistent, and there was about as much subtlety as a sledgehammer because the author did not credit her readers with any intelligence, and spelled EVERYTHING out for us. The plot could've been better, but as it is, was completely implausible. Apparently, even moderately successful criminals are completely unintelligent and naive and accept the word of any Tom, Dick and Harry off the street with unprovable intel on their biggest rivals. And naive newspaper reporters believe the first voice on the phone that claims to be their relative, and trust them unquestioningly, even without a shred of evidence. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. This was absolutely not an enjoyable read for me.
Profile Image for Vannessa Anderson.
Author 1 book165 followers
April 24, 2017
Hayes Carson is a lawman in Jacobsville, Texas. When his brother died from a drug overdose, Hayes blamed Minette Raynor who, consequently, abhors drugs. Hayes was shot by an unknown assailant and could not live alone during his recovery so Minette Raynor brings Hayes to her home to recover. They are attractive to one another but Minette won’t act on her attraction because of the way she believes he feels about her and Hayes won’t act on his attraction for Minette because he believes she was involved with the death of his brother.

When the father Minette never knew existed comes into the picture he puts Minette’s life in danger. Protector was a good read and well written. Eric G. Dvoe was the voice of the characters. He used the right amount of cadence and emotion and was good at voices.
Profile Image for Missy.
838 reviews22 followers
July 22, 2014
A wonderful read....another great book by Diana Palmer. Just love how she weaves them falling in love with the suspense & danger they face. The touches of humor she uses adds to the different characters making them more human & likeable. The continuing drama in Jacobsville keeps unfolding book after book so you get to know everyone, just like in a small town. She makes memorable characters that you just can't forgot along with a sweet charming love story.
Profile Image for amanda s..
2,965 reviews93 followers
December 30, 2013
Well, I was expecting some mean hero and cry-baby heroine, but overall I liked it.

Hayes isn't exactly like Diana Palmer usual character, he's sweet and polite. I kind of crave for mean hero and angst storyline and I don't think this book deliver both.

But it's good, I enjoyed it. Too bad it isn't really Diana Palmer style.
2,320 reviews31 followers
May 25, 2013

4 STARS

It has been awhile since I have read a story about Jacobsville, Texas. A lot of tough guys live and work there. The description of the book is misleading for me. Or maybe it went over my head and I missed that part. It has happened to me before. There are a few love scenes towards the end of the book. Lots of drama and some action. Some interesting characters. Some good, some bad and some really bad guys. And one big iguana.

Sheriff is home on his ranch when he is shot. He never saw the shooter, but he had his phone and was able to call 911. When he woke up the doctor told him it would be awhile for him to heal from this bullet injury. He could not stay home alone and they could not get anyone to stay with him because of Andy. His six foot iguana that hated females. Hayes has no relatives, his housekeeper is out of town nursing his sick sister. He has one choice and he is not going to like it.

Minette Raynor is raising her little brother and sister. She also lives with her Aunt. Minette runs a newspaper and Hayes hates her. Hayes blames her for his brother dying of drugs during high school. She has never touched drugs or partied. She never gave drugs to his brother.
She offered to let Hayes stay with her family and recuperate on her ranch.

Hayes knows a secret about Minette that he promised his father that he would not tell anyone about it. It was not anything that Minette did but it is why he blames her for his younger brothers death. Now that secret would be coming out and would be dangerous for Minette and her family it could also save her family.

Minette and her Aunt are good cooks and Hayes loves to eat there cooking and it softens his attitude towards Minette. He also realizes that it was not her fault for his brother's death, She is a good mother to her younger sister and brother. Who are cute and like to be with Hayes.

There is a new drug lord from Mexico that is moving into Jacobsville. He is not wanted in the U.S. any of his illegal businesses are done in Mexico. He has lots of enemies and brings danger with him.

If you are a fan of Diana Palmer's you will enjoy reading Protector. I look forward to seeing what happens next in Jacobsville it is getting interesting there.

I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it when finished reading by Netgalley.
06/25/2013 PUB Harlequin HQN ISBN9780373777716

Description below taken off of Netgalley.

New York Times bestselling author Diana Palmer takes readers back to Jacobsville, Texas, where Hayes Carson is a lawman on a search for justice.

His brother had been the only family he had left in the world. Hayes, a long, tall and serious Texan, has long been suspicious of the blonde-haired, bright-eyed Minette Raynor, who is both mysterious and beautiful. And now he's convinced that Minette was involved in giving his brother the drugs that killed him. As far as Hayes is concerned, neither her looks nor anything else will stand in the way of him righting what is so very wrong.

Minette can't get Hayes off her mind, or off her back. His investigation of her is a nuisance, but as an undercover DEA agent, that's the least of her worries. Until she finds herself in great danger, and he's the only one who can save her. Can she count on Hayes believing the truth-and saving her life?
124 reviews
June 17, 2013
Protector is the latest Long, Tall Texans book by Diana Palmer. I have read many of the books in the series and was looking forward to Sheriff Hayes Carson’s story with Minette. Minette has had a crush on Hayes for quite some time, but Hayes has hated Minette ever since his brother died of a drug overdose because he blamed her for giving his brother the drugs that killed him. Of course, everyone in Jacobsville knows that Minette had nothing to do with his overdose, and deep down, Hayes knows that too.

When Hayes is shot, there is no one available to help take care of him. All of the women in town are afraid to enter his house because of his pet iguana, and he has no relatives except for a distant cousin; so, Minette offers to let Hayes stay with her and he accepts.
As others have said, the description of the book is definitely misleading. Very little time is spent discussing his brother’s death, and Hayes doesn’t investigate Minette. I also did not see any mention of Minette being an undercover agent. Most of the book involves Hayes’s shooting and Minette’s life being in danger because of who her father is.

I thought I would like this book more than I did, but I just couldn’t really get into it. A lot of the dialogue was repetitive, and there isn’t as much romance between Hayes and Minette as I would’ve liked. Also, there didn’t seem to be much turmoil when there should have been because of the situations the characters were put in. I would’ve thought that there would have been more intense feelings between Hayes and Minette because of him blaming her for his brother’s death. And, Minette didn’t seem to be all that shocked about her father either. It seemed like things happened, were resolved, and the main characters got over them fairly quickly. No hard feelings. No stress. No trauma. No nothing. Protector isn't a bad book, but it isn’t a great book either. I guess it was just sort of bland.

*I received my copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sue.
144 reviews1 follower
July 24, 2013
Palmer frequently uses her books to also make political/social commentary. In her previous books this has not been a huge problem because the romance overrides this. In this book of hers much more of it was spent as a social and political commentary and she spends a significant amount of time acting paranoid about security and people watching everything that everyone is doing. I thought this book was paranoia filled, with a huge dose of disrespect for the legal principles of the country. I finished this book but I just could not handle the huge amount of commentary. I also thought the main characters had taken a strange turn for innocence by refusing to curse, refusing to even consider any relations until marriage, and refusing to like anything that was mature (like all of them were obsessed with cartoons, what?!). I was really disappointed in this book, I haven't been this disappointed with her previous books, some of her previous books are some of my favorite books, but this one was really strange, it is definitely not worth the read.
106 reviews1 follower
September 26, 2013
Diana Diana Diana what has happened to you darlin.your books used to be some great reads.you could read the books and feel the chemistry between the h/h and when a scene required a personal time between them you could feel sexual tension just by reading it.now the books are filled with words that allow you no chance to connect with characters.I know people will read this review and Say something catty like quit reading her books if you dislike them so much.but the thing is when you have devoted over 30 years of your life to one author you keep going back hoping that the woman you love to read may miraculously reappear.but I dont see that happening.I love you ms. palmer I truly do but your books are awful now.please if you care at all for your fan base bring back the author we have loved for all these years.cause these sub standard books you are throwing out is hurting us.my opinion if the last few I have read are like the ones you plan on putting out next just stop now.
110 reviews1 follower
July 19, 2019
Minette has cared for Hayes Carson since high school, but he's known a secret about her father, who is unknown to Minette, that causes him to resent her. She's got great character and cares for her two step-siblings, as well as her great-aunt, and Hayes eventually looks past her heritage to realize how remarkable she is and how suited to his life. They do wind up kidnapped but escape to have a HEA. There is also the entry into the Palmer character list of Dane Lassiter's son, who appears to be an interesting character on his own. Diana Palmer writes sympathetically about the various cultures that intersect in her books, showing the good and bad parts of people and places, but with a bedrock of morality and values. I do love Minette talking about her mother's belief that all the people, with different colors and cultures, are like a flower garden, in all shapes and sizes, and God loves us all.
78 reviews
January 25, 2014
I love all of the Diana Palmer books that I have read and this is no exception. One of the few authors that I actually laugh out loud while I'm reading. The sheriff, Hayes Carson, is shot while he was in his own living room. Since it will take him awhile to recover the use of his arm, the doctor refuses to release him from the hospital unless he has someone to help him out. A little difficult for someone that lives alone except for Andy, his lizard. The only one in the small town of Jacobsville Texas willing to take him in is Minette Raynor, the person that Hayes blames for the death of his brother Bobby. Minette has always had feelings for Hayes although she doesn't understand why he blames her for Bobby's death.

Fantastic book with some unexpected twists. Can't wait for her next book.
Profile Image for Frank.
177 reviews
April 28, 2020
DNF 24% omg that was painful

I’m well versed in Ms. Palmer’s world, but this one, wow.

When a 34 year old male uses phrases like “crackers and milk!” to express frustration/anger, no amount of current technology hints you throw in (cell phone, internet, blue-ray) are going to convince me that this book doesn’t take place in the 50’s.

It was a constant rehash of all the current and former residents of Jacobsville that we have already met. And did you know that reporters and their elderly aunts are well versed in the world of co-vert ops, police investigations, and drug wars?

I left the party too early to tell if there was any real chemistry between H and h, but based on the 24%...they probably get married and have separate beds along with full body nightclothes to wear while they sex it up once a year 🙄.
Profile Image for Katie.
58 reviews
March 29, 2014
The book starts with a nice story line and then bam you have action already. It was a nice surprise to have it so soon in the story. It was a sweet thing for Minette to take him home. As he is in her home they start to know each other and realize they both have made unfair assumptions and start a solid friendship. I love the little details she uses about the cartoon movies, and his pet lizard, it is very funny. As the story perceeds it turns into something you may not have predicted. I don't want to give too much away but it has a good story line and does a great job at weaving characters from past books into this one and prepping new ones for stories to come.
Profile Image for Sheila.
2,694 reviews39 followers
May 1, 2014
While part of a series, this can be read as a standalone. Minette has always loved Hayes but he has always hated her and she did not know why. When he is shot she takes him in to recover. I liked these two characters. Minette is on the older side for an ingénue but Hayes is older than her. Hayes is also not like Diana Palmer's usual male characters. He is not taciturn but lets us know his feelings. Minette is stronger than she believes. She has many surprises in her future but I got my HEA.
497 reviews2 followers
October 31, 2013
Carson Hayes knew a secret about Minette Raynor but gave his promise not to tell. Minette takes Carson into her house when he is shot to recuperate and learns that she is in danger also. Her danger is from a ruthless drug lord who finds that she is related to a very powerful rival and plans to kidnap her. In the end both Hayes and Minette end up in the drug lords evil hands and both our government and her relative join forces to save them.
Profile Image for Sandra Patiño.
Author 5 books15 followers
May 23, 2018
Qué tedio, lástima porque es el final de una gran serie en donde se muestra todo lo genial que es Diana, pero con algunas historias no le funcionó la fórmula, como en esta. Hayes era el hombres más obtuso, es que culparla de algo en lo que no tenía nada que ver... en fin me costó llegar a final. Pero en general, gracias a Diana Palmer, me disfruté mucho esta serie.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for GuisBell.
1,285 reviews28 followers
April 11, 2020
He leído tanto acerca de la triste historia de Hayes, quien la única culpable de su tragedia era Minette de una u otra forma, que en serio pensé debe tener algo de razón. Y ahora leyendo su historia me parece ridículo e incluso cruel por todos los malos momentos de Minette, que en serio no entiendo como supera todo lo que le hizo y dijo de ella y ahora corre a sus brazos así sin más.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 144 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.