Start by marking “Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell” as Want to Read:
Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell

Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Since it was first published, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" has quickly established itself as the most accessible and comprehensive introduction to this profound and deeply fascinating area of theoretical physics. Now in this fully revised and expanded edition, A. Zee covers the latest advances while providing a solid conceptual foundation for students to build on, ...more
ebook, 2nd edition, 608 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell

Manny
Nov 12, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ordered.

My early New Year's resolution is that I am damn well going to understand what the deal is with symmetry and quantum mechanics... all these sly references to irreducible representations and Yang-Mills theories are driving me nuts.

They almost explain how it works, then they stop short at the crucial point and say it's kind of technical. I haven't felt so excluded since I was in second grade and the big kids knew where babies came from but I didn't.
G.R. Reader
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You wouldn't believe the size of A's nuts.
Jon Paprocki
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book mostly from the point of view of a mathematician who is already comfortable with quantum field theory (at least the sort used in low-dimensional topology) but was hoping to learn more about the physical intuition. This book certainly supplies that intuition in droves, and Zee is a very talented writer who is able to make quantum field theory almost feel intuitive. Mathematicians will of course find the rigor to be lacking, and so I can't really recommend this is as a first quant ...more
Harini
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inside this nutshell is a delicacy packed with profound insights and the storytelling style makes the flavour ethereal!

This book is unique in the sense that it takes the reader through a fun journey of discovering the subject rather than dictating information. Of course I assume this text would be a fun read for the pioneers. But it is a true gift for the beginners.

Thanks A. Zee !
Jaime Olmos
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-and-science
The book is no introduction to QFT for sure! But is likely the most enthusiastic QFT book ever !
( a highly absent feature out there in QFT land).
Professor Zee's book enabled me to (finally !) understand the Feynman Path Integral (FPI) approach to QFT !
FPIs are an essential tool in QFT. I have yet to learn how FPIs are used to re-normalize the Weak and Strong interactions (Prof. t'Hooft got a Nobel prize for that..).
There is no lack of books to delve deeper into the subject ...
M
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I started learning QFT from this book. I highly recommend it to anyone doing postgrad studies in Particle Physics or even condensed matter theory. However, the book's main focus is conceptual not technical. If you are looking for a book that enables you to calculate, then you should accompany this one with one of the well-known technical books, my favorite is Peskin and Schroeder.
Jack
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His introduction to the path integral formulation of QFT is terrific. It's hillarious and conceptually clear. This seems to be the case throughout the book. The biggest shortcoming is that the book seems to be arbitrarily formatted. The chapters and sections don't seem to be very well organized.
David
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-me
If you like Feynman's style then you are sure to love this read. I learned field theory from Peshkin and Schroeder (sp), which is great for calculating scattering cross sections but lacks the insight and intrigue Zee offers.
DJ
Jun 20, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
recommended by Ken from QuISU as a nice conceptual intro to QFT

also suggested these notes:
Joe
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
QFT can't be made easier...still not for Dummies. Worth being taught as an introduction to the field
Paul
Nov 20, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't understand any of it.
Alexandre Guay
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very idiosyncratic book. Nevertheless, if you have a mind close to Zee's, it is a great read.
Kartik
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A good first book for studying Quantum Field Theory. Like any first book will give a nice introduction to the subject and main calculation techniques, but do not expect any deeper insight.
Che
Jul 13, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
Graduate level. Not quite there, yet.
Shahid Hariri
Oct 20, 2016
Jeffrey McClintock
Dec 31, 2016
Lisa Jessicha S
rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2015
  • Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Quantum Theory
  • An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory
  • An Introduction to Black Holes, Information and the String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Thermodynamics
  • Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »