Start by marking “Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers” as Want to Read:
Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers

Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Most physical phenomena, whether in the domain of fluid dynamics, electricity, magnetism, mechanics, optics, or heat flow, can be described in general by partial differential equations. Indeed, such equations are crucial to mathematical physics. Although simplifications can be made that reduce these equations to ordinary differential equations, nevertheless the complete de ...more
Published September 1st 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1982)

WarpDrive
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

This is a brilliant introductory book to the (mine)field of Partial Differential Equations.
It is a great introduction to the subject, fairly comprehensive (considering the subject) and very readable, and also with a pretty decent selection of useful accompanying exercises.

I appreciated that the author fairly consistently makes an effort to explain the underlying conceptual framework, and the intuition is greatly facilitated by the good choice of examples of applications in the physical world.
Mary Karlee
Jan 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Mary Karlee by: Ryan
I just couldn't make it through the book. I opened the book and the first sentence I read was "Everyone knows that F=ma." Now I have to beg to differ: not EVERYONE knows this. Including Marielle, Jenna, and me. So I told Ryan that I thought this author was writing off of false assumptions and I just wouldn't read it. :)
Rachel
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's not a horrible textbook, it's just not very clear. I sometimes had trouble following what they were talking about. They did go through and explain some concepts that other books tended to skip, though. I also like that they gave more chapters so that each chapter (lesson) was smaller and more manageable.
Alberto
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good self-teaching book if you're willing to work hard. Presents the basics and points you to more advanced readings. Presentation of the material is in the most logical order of absolutely any PDE book I've ever used. My only need is the lack of problems.
Mario Hari
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book which explains the concepts in an intuitive manner. Reading and learning from the book helped me to achieve a good grade as well :) A must read for anyone interested in understanding the basics of PDE and apply it to solve a wide variety of problems in image processing, sampling, numerical solutions etc.,
Erik
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very gentle with fairly easy problems. Great introduction to the subject, excellent reading list for future progress. I especially appreciated the stuff on variational methods. Looking forward to Courant and Hilbert.
Shahin
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Shahin by: Dr. Salarie
Shelves: mathematics
It's a good book to improve your intuition of physical phenomena. But not a proper reference for studying PDEs. It doesn't direct you how to solve a PDE question, but it shows you how some kinds of important PDE questions can be solvable!
I DO NOT recommend this book, as the first PDE book.
Ehsan Zhalehrajabi
I highly recommend this book to scientist and engineers. This book launch to teach PDE with excellent approach. this book change my mind about PDE. I deeply appreciate Prof.Farlow the author of book.
Hong Chhay
Sep 27, 2011 added it
Shelves: math
So important for me
Maureen
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Simple language, lots of pictures, basics about many different topics. Also lightweight and inexpensive. Not the most rigorous but excellent for preparing to read my actual textbook.
Nivas
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
First year engg course on maths
Job Rock
rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ordinary Differential Equations
  • Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers
  • Fourier Series
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Linear Algebra
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • Differential Geometry
  • A Book of Abstract Algebra
  • Matrix Computations
  • Number Theory
  • Elementary Differential Equations And Boundary Value Problems
  • Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements
  • Naive Set Theory