Start by marking “Found Objects” as Want to Read:
Found Objects

Found Objects

Aldo Zoria is a successful commercial photographer who lives in a happy menage a trois with his wife and their lover along with the lover's two young children. Domestic bliss shatters when an unexpected guest arrives.

Found Objects tells a story of struggle between values and instincts, ideals and reality, whom we strive to become and whom we are born to be.
Published April 2013 by Nortia Press

To ask other readers questions about Found Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found Objects

Start your review of Found Objects
Hilary Carter
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a giveaway and agreed to an honest review.

For the first half of the book I kept waiting for some twist, some extreme circumstance to happen, but then I came to realize that this isn't that kind of book. Instead this is a character driven, intellectual exploration into the what if's. What if a man had two women in his life? But they also have each other, would this be perfect? But then, enters another man, who suddenly wants to be part of this too. Does he have the right? Can t
Justina Johnson
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-m, m-f
This book is different for me as it is told in the first person from an active character's point of view. So, it took me a little extra time to grasp the flow and how the main characters truly interrelated with each other. When I did, I could hardly put the book down. The characters are exceptionally real and substantial. The stresses and tensions are palpable; the sexual highs were delightful. The only possible down element I might mention is that some internal tensions from the narrator seem t ...more
Lillian
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book at the LA Times Festival of Books. I suppose I was drawn to it because it was about a nontraditional relationship--two women and a man--but honestly, I was caught up in a conversation with the publisher and liked him so much I thought I'd buy a book to support his endeavor.

I finished the book on the corner of 18th & Castro in San Francisco's historic gay district heading to a queer youth organization's open house that is just a few blocks from my home. Perhaps people who ar
Jane Ryder
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A favorite quote of mine is from Oscar Wilde: "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." In Found Objects, Peter Gelfan explores the myriad ways this is easier said than done. Society has expectations, our community or neighborhood has expectations, the people we care about have expectations -- even without all that, we'd still have to figure out what we really want out of life and relationships.

Photographer Aldo Zoria lives happily with his wife Erica and their lover, Marie, and Marie's two childr
Nancy
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
With the frontispiece quote from the poem "Tonight I Watched" by Sappho, the mood is set for this hauntingly written novel of beauty, loneliness and self-discovery.

Aldo is having a tough time adjusting to a major change in his life and his first person narrative explores the moral, philosophical and practical challenges of living a complicated alternative lifestyle. Things start out joyful and fulfilling for Aldo, his wife, their lover and her two children, but quickly become confusing and unco
Charlene Bell
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When a book earns that fourth or fifth star from me you can trust that something stuck in my mind weeks after the last page was turned. This is one book I couldn't put down even after I'd placed it back on my library shelf. I could still hear these friends negotiate and posture for what they needed and valued. I felt concerned about the children and their school experiences while this non-traditional family refused to acquiesce to the ridged worries of traditional educators. I continued to wonde ...more
John Middleton
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Curl up on the sofa with Found Objects, but don’t expect to be comfortable. The book will challenge you. The characters and plot are always pushing and pulling, trying to get you out of your comfort zone. Peter Gelfan’s prose is like sculpture. Think of Michelangelo crawling all over a block of marble, chiseling away everything that’s not David. Outstanding read.
Nan
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written novel is full of surprises. I don't mean the melodramatic, soap-opera-y kind, but the true surprises of character that make good fiction worth reading. I recommend it highly. You will not always love the characters, but you they will live in your head for a long time.
Cathy Sargent
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I added the .5 because I can't dispute that the book is well-written and on some pages quite insightful and profound. But I just couldn't muster up much sympathy for poor Aldo when another man (with a connection important enough to allow for his showing up) intrudes upon Aldo's cozy menage a trois. Aldo is basically selfish and the world he's created for himself allows him to be. He doesn't want to give up his wife, but boy is he happy to have a new model in his bed as well. He doesn' ...more
Sterlingcindysu
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Al
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
I’m going to start with a quote plucked from the Wikipedia article on polyamory:

"Polyamory, often abbreviated as poly, is often described as "consensual, ethical, and responsible non-monogamy." The word is sometimes used in a broader sense to refer to sexual or romantic relationships that are not sexually exclusive, though there is disagreement on how broadly it applies; an emphasis on ethics, honesty, and transparency all around is widely regarded as the crucial defining characteristic."

This i
Patricia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

"My ninth-grade English teacher once assigned the class an essay on The Ideal Family. What the teacher expected, and what the other kids delivered, was Dad goes to work in a suit and tie ... Mom works part-time ...Timmy and Tammy help with recycling and do their homework .... My family life was nothing like that." Aldo Zoria, remembering.

The family lives comfortably in rural Vermont, the adults share household and parenting duties and a carefully created life. Dinners are eaten on the screened p
Anna Mills
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a book! All throughout reading Gelfan's Found Objects I wondered just which way I would review it. Perhaps I wasn't in agreement with his characters' life style choices - I was uncomfortable with them, very uncomfortable - but that doesn't change the fact that the book is brilliantly written. So I had to step away from my own judgmental issues and step out of myself.
Aldo, the main character and narrator is a successful freelance photographer in the advertising industry. The story of his pr
Kathy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Melysah Bunting
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Found Objects by Peter Gelfan is a novel about love. It sounds simple. But love is very, very complicated even between two people. What about three or even four people? What about the added stress of kids, neighbors, work, etc. Aldo Zoria is a man with a wife named Erica. Marie and her two children, Dom and Jas, came to live with them as a family when Jonah abandoned them. What happens when Jonah suddenly appears? Can this ménage à trois turn into a ménage à quatre?

I know for some the topic migh
Lucy
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013, for-review
I enjoyed Found Objects more than I was expecting to. I was interested in the idea of how a relationship with 3 people might work (no, not like that, get your mind out the gutter!), and there was a element of that, but it was more.

There was a bit of a scientific element. A bit psychological, a bit evolutionary, a bit philosophical. A look at the nature of relationships and sex. And I found that really interesting. With it being within a story setting as well it made these ideas and thoughts easi
Jett
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel is about a polyamorous relationship that is threatened by an intruding alpha male. Superbly written and I get the feeling the premise would make most people uncomfortable, regardless of sexual identity. It never got preachy yet somehow still managed to explore deep philosophical themes. I didn't really know who to root for. The whole situation was so frustrating and I found myself getting bummed along with the main character as the details unfolded(I am lesbian identifying by the way) ...more
Kelly Lamb
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I will tell you right now, don't go into Found Objects expecting an explosively dramatic plot. And don't expect to love every person in it (in fact, I quite disliked Aldo). Instead, expect this: a tightly-written, character-driven novel that shows a keen understanding of the intricacies of human relationships. You will be left mulling over the notions of free will, love, and domesticity. Any book that can make a reader ruminate on such lofty concepts is a winner in my eyes.

Read more of my review
Adri
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book certainly challenges conventional Western values and mores. It could so easily have veered off into being sordid, but it never did. Perhaps because of the narrator's constant internal dialogue. It was interesting 'hearing' him think things through, questioning his actions, feelings, motives; and considering those (actions, feelings, motives) in the other main characters.

I found the thought processes about photography, and art, illuminating and revealing, but also very interesting.

The
Jocelyn
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book not knowing what to expect or what was coming, and I'm so glad I experienced it that way. It was perfect for the experience to be slowly introduced to these characters, to come to understand their relationship to one another, with as little or as much revealed slowly over time...just like the way they come to know, open up to, or readjust to each other and their ever-readjusting relationships.

A vague review, I realize, but highly, highly recommended. One of the most enjoyab
Rochelle
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can't say that I've ever read a book with such a complex love situation. The book is written in a very clear way so that you are instantly engaged with what is going on and I was able to attach myself to characters very quickly.

The thing I liked best about the book is that while reading it I really could not predict the ending which kept me turning the pages long after I should have gone to bed.
Faye
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lot of philosophy about life. That's what kept me going. That and his photography. That was a lesson within itself. Throughout I couldn't help but think how selfish the adults were for not caring about what they were putting their children through. In the words of the child Dominic, "Gross." It was brilliantly written.
C.R. Fladmark
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Peter's book felt like a slow read, leisurely following a man's daily with his wife and their lover. Its not a thrill ride kind of story yet I couldn't stop reading it! A real page turner. I thought it was an excellent narrative and a realistic story of a man dealing with his ego in a situation I will never find myself.
Marilyn
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am not going to add much to the excellent reviews already here except to say that this book is a challenge in many respects but well worth the read. Wish there were more to follow.....
Jay
Jan 31, 2014
Danie
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Peter Gelfan is a novelist, screenwriter, and freelance book editor. He was born in New York City, grew up in New Haven and the New York suburbs, and has lived in Spain, England, Florida, and Vermont.

He wrote the screenplay for Cargo, Les Hommes Perdus, which was produced and released in France in 2010. Found Objects, his debut novel, came out in 2013. His latest novel, Monkey Temple, was publishe

News & Interviews