Start by marking “MapHead” as Want to Read:
MapHead

MapHead (MapHead #1)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Twelve-year-old MapHead, a boy with strange powers from an alternative world, travels to England in search of his human mother.
Published July 5th 1996 by Candlewick (first published October 3rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about MapHead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MapHead

Tahmin Nessa
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
MapHead, (I guess the title says it all), is a story about an alien called Booth (MapHead) who can show a map of any place across his head. This story centers around two aliens, a father (Powers) and a son (Booth) who comes to Earth in search for Booth’s Earthling mother.

When Booth and his father arrive on Earth they live on a tomato and often find the modern society quite bewildering as he struggles to understand rhymes and idioms used by the humans.

As the story proceeds Booth finds out that
Beth Bonini
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Here's the deal: two aliens, father and son, come down to Earth (normal English town) to find the boy's mother. When a young woman is hit by lightning, the gold suit wearing alien saves her -- and obviously some sort of intimate relationship ensues. After travelling the Universe a bit, the Earthling mother wants to return home; after that request is granted, her memory is wiped. This is all explained later, but what we start out with is the two aliens hanging out in a tomato grower's greenhouse. ...more
Lynda
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
"MapHead" by Lesley Howarth is an intriguing fantasy. Twelve year old MapHead is conceived of a human mother, who was rescued from death by lightning bolt by his alien father, Powers. Powers has reared MapHead alone, but now they have returned to the English town where MapHead might find his mother. This warm-hearted tale unfolds tenderly, and somehow reminded me of Louis Sachar's "Holes". Written in a refreshing, original style, it's a story that takes quite a bit of concentration, and would be ...more
John
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Want to come closer to understanding how it feels to be truly alien? Track down this novel (or its sequels--I think there are two or three), about a resident of the "subtle world," of which our mundane one is but a part, who subsists (OK, not all the time, but once is enough) on a diet of salad dressing and liquified cat.
Tarmia
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read even though it was a book aimed at a younger audience. It had an original story and interesting ideas and characters alike. I recommend it to anybody wanting a good but quick read.
Bex
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A weird story of a boy out of place. Is he alien, gypsy, advanced human, robot? Who knows? This left me with an unfinished unsatisfied feeling. With a bit extra it probably wouldn't work but still I'm not sure how I feel about this book now I'm finished.
Bob Rust
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MapHead sequence, comprising MapHead (1994) and MapHead 2 (1997) describes the travails of the eponymous Alien from the Parallel World whose skin is able to project maps and his father during their life on the confusing planet Earth home of his human mother.
Ben
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good read. Funny and thought provoking at times. I'd have liked it to be a tad more complex, but it is a children's book after all.

I'd definitely recommend it. :)
Nicholas Wong
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK, but it was actually kinda hard to start off. All in all, it was a good book, and I enjoyed it.
Rob
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned, own, genre
bizarre, enjoyable, but generally not memorable. ie, I finished it about 2 years ago and remember barely anything about it.
Lucy Catten