Start by marking “Ruby (Ruby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruby (Ruby, #1)

Ruby

(Ruby #1)

During the Salem witch hunts, an evil witch named Natasha Sullivan tricks a demon into confining himself inside an enchanted music box. She casts a spell that foretells that the demon will emerge in an unknown time in future after the birth of a child known as the Lumen Child. This child’s destiny is to bring light to the planet and Natasha knows that if he is killed then ...more
Published June 29th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published April 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby

Linda
Previously published on my blog: http://fictionfervor.wordpress.com/20...

Ruby is a short and sweet novel that could be a promising start to an intriguing series. However, the novel felt very unfinished and could definitely use some key pointers.

PLOT:
To me, Ruby was a non-plot kind of book. Not much happens in the book in my opinion, and I considered it an introduction to a series rather than, well, the first book of a series. However, the synopsis did intrigue me enough to agree to join the blog
Gina -   Behind the Pages
View the original review on my blog:

Behind a Million and One Pages

When you look back at this novel, you realize that so much has happened in such a small space of time. It also ahs happened rather quickly as well. Despite knowing how fast the pacing of this novel is, we want more and want to continue the thrill ride.

This is my first novel that has been based around the Salem Witch Hunt. This era is used as a base to get the story rolling. The way this was used was brilliant, completely captivating and pulling you in. This
Ana
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
To start this review off on a positive note, the fact that I read most of Ruby in less than 24 hours is proof enough that this read is light, entertaining, and easy. You could effortlessly read the whole of it during a weekend getaway or, if you’re committed, in one sitting. I, of course, read it in over the course of a day and found whole thing to be easy to follow and seamless.

Furthermore, Ruby‘s characters, although perhaps a tad two-dimensional, had me emotionally invested in them by the end
Jasmine Villanova
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beneath the Moon and Stars review

I think this has a very unique concept to it. It took me a long time to read it. I liked the story a lot and the characters were great. I found this sorta a build up for the rest of the series. There wasn't a lot of action, it was more about the characters. Which I liked because I really enjoyed the characters. I'm super excited to see where this series is going to go.

The characters were very well done. Ruby had a great personality. Her life had been really going
Silver
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
When Amanda Burke first emailed me about her new witch-themed bok, Ruby, I was really interested. I haven't read a good witch story this whole year since Always a Witch. Here are my thoughts broken down:

The Good
-The creative ideas and imagination put into the story especially the world building
lots of thought put into setting the scene and introduction to magic.
-I love that there are other creatures besides witched involved in the book
climatic/ kick-butt ending
-learn witchcraft (including the u
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'Ruby' is about a young girl who travels to live with her grandmother after the deaths of her mother and father. Once there she discovers that she comes from a long line of witches and she is destined to follow the magical tradition passed down through her family.

This was a quick and easy read. At only 170 pages long, I would have liked the book to have been longer as it seemed a lot was crammed into a fairly short story. This meant that at times there wasn't enough development of the characters
Holly
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
When the author offered this to me, I knew it had my interest at "Salem Witch Trials." Sorry. History buff. I was interested to see how that would affect the story. And this whole prophecy business.

This is about a 3.5-4 star rating. First off, being only 170 pages, some things tend to seem forced and too fast simply because there isn't enough time to expand on it. Ruby is likable, if mostly unknown to us. There's a lack of character development, but it is possible to get a feel for the character
ephrielle
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Abrupt.

There were many times during this book I felt it was missing the weaving that holds the moments together. More like an oral telling where there isn't as much time to intricately weave things together and build all the emotions. Sort of in the style of and then. . .and then. . .and then. Not much going on in between everything.

My favorite part of any romance is all the build up. This romance had the essential elements but all the subtly was lacking. Which just ended up making it feel chee
Alexis Neuville
REVIEW: http://theliteraturelion.blogspot.com...

I have to say that I've always loved witches and the Salem witch trials. When I read the prologue I was like: OH YES. Historical witches! Then I continued and noticed that it wasn't going to be all about the Salem witches, and I was slightly disappointed. But it got even better- a modern witch who's ancestors were a part of the Salem witches! After figuring that out, I got super excited!

Ruby's character is kind of confusing for me. I didn't really
Naiche
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm really happy to be out of my reading slump. I've found so many unique books that have captured my interest in the past few weeks - and Ruby was definitely one of them. Witches, drama, and suspense? Oh my.

My favorite thing about this novel was that the author wasn't afraid to bring on the mystery and suspense without the usual fluffy YA material. Yeah, we do see a budding romance with Blaine, but the story belongs to Ruby - and it stays that way throughout the novel. She's no Bella (sorry Twi
Lisa
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Ruby is the daughter of a single father as her mother died a couple of years back. When her father is unexpectedly killed, she comes across s a letter in which her father tells her to go and find/meet her grandmother whom she has never met. Her grandmother turns out to be a powerful witch, and Ruby is a descendant of her family bloodline. Together they embark on a journey in order to teach Ruby how to use her skills and possibly, save their world against an old legend. But then something happens ...more
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Witches and Salem always sounds so intriguing so i really couldn't say no to the book. Now after reading it, i have mixed feelings about it. The good though, are more than the bad.

The story is mixed with witches,demons, prophecies elements. Something we've seen a lot, still the author managed to create something original enough, and make it interesting too. Personally it kept me in from the first chapter, and i finished in one read.

Now the real problem, if you can call it problem, is that the bo
Emily
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at Doodle's Book Blog

I was swept away by the first sentence and didn't want to put Ruby down. Amanda Burke held my attention with her captivating first book in the Ruby Series.

Ruby has grown up without a mother and no knowledge of extended family. The only person she knows is her father. Until one day he is murdered and an attorney hands a letter to Ruby telling her about her grandmother. If she wants to survive, she better find her quick.

I fell in love with the story f
Rebecca McKinnon
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

When the author approached me with her review request, I was instantly interested. Witches? Makes me smile. Salem? Absolutely.

The premise and plot of this book are good. There could be more character development, though. There were times when I really wanted to care, but the action seemed to be a little in the abstract. Honestly, that's okay, the story still worked. I just felt that it was easy to set the book down.

I do like the whole idea, and I'm interested to see where Ms. Burke take
Molli Moran
Uhhh. Not too sure what to think about this one. Trying to find something I liked. :(
Heaven is a bookstore
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Check out the review on my blog heavenisabookstore.blogspot.com
Monique  Diplock
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
review soon
Monique Diplock
Sep 13, 2012
Amanda Burke
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sam Drummond
Anne
Aug 26, 2012
Andreea
Aug 27, 2012
Amanda Burke is the author of the novel RUBY, the first of a four book series.
An avid reader from an early
age, Amanda discovered her love of writing in high school. Her favorite
books are Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Stand by Stephen King and
anything written by Wilbur Smith. When it comes to writing, she is
particularly drawn to pen stories for teens that involve anything
supernatural. The