Start by marking “Quantum Computation and Quantum Information” as Want to Read:
Quantum Computation and Quantum Information

Quantum Computation and Quantum Information

In this first comprehensive introduction to the main ideas and techniques of quantum computation and information, Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang ask the question: What are the ultimate physical limits to computation and communication? They detail such remarkable effects as fast quantum algorithms, quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography and quantum error correction. ...more
Published October 23rd 2000 by Cambridge University Press (first published January 1st 2000)

Start your review of Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
Michael Nielsen
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A real thriller, beautifully written, tightly plotted, characters I cared about, couldn't put it down!
Natan
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: physics lovers
Recommended to Natan by: professor
Shelves: science-math
An excellent course textbook for Quantum Information Theory. I'm currently doing chapter 4. Anyone who wants to compare solutions for exercises is welcome.
Jovany Agathe
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quantum Computation and Quantum Information: 10th Anniversary Edition
This book is definitely THE source to turn to for an understanding of Quantum Computation and Information. One can only read through the first chapter and you are given the key feature of Quantum Computation and Information. The advantage of this approach is that Chapter 1 establishes a Quantum roadmap of what you need to know. You can stop there or you can dive deeper into the technology. Using the remaining chapters as a
Brian
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction because it reviews both the basic of quantum and computer science, giving a broad perspective that fills in a lot of gaps left by other texts.
Christopher Elliott
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very accessible even though I can't do the math. This really cements the ideas of the power of the abstract qubit so you don't have to bite off understanding quantum mechanics. I'm amazed that there are actually useful things we could do with qc (it has felt a little like coming to understand how modern computer language constructs are built up from the lambda calculus which at first seems too simple to build anything powerful).
Zach
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm sure this is a great graduate book covering and summarizing a lot of ground, but it was far too proof-focused for me. Apparently quantum computing is just matrix multiplication, we haven't gotten further than logic gates, and there's no intuition for what it means. I think I learned more through the Microsoft videos and doing some Quantum katas in Q#.
Hnerd
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in really learning about quantum computing, this is the book for you. Really well written and describes pretty much every subject you could be interested in (at least as a newbie to the field).
Erickson
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stopped at the place where I used for my QI course. This book is more like a reference text which you should keep with you at all times for referring to details or refresher, so it is somewhat unsuitable to read cover-to-cover unless you are very free.
Chunyang Ding
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best quantum computing textbook out there!
Ian Durham
Still relevant after a decade in print, it's a must-have reference and a reasonably good teaching tool. My only beef is the complete lack of even a handful of worked examples. There seems to be a trend in that direction with some authors and I think they are missing out on an excellent pedagogical tool. I agree there shouldn't be many, but there should be *some.*
Piotr
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best book in the field. Of course is not perfect, becuase not all aspects of the field have been covered nicely and some chapters required ad initio quite deep knowledge of QIT and quantum mechanics but still, for me, together with the book by Mermin is the necessary position as well for rookies and experienced scientists.
Jonathan
i don't see any information on this book how i read this...help
Divyanshu Jha
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars for what I could understand. The rest must have been 5 stars or more
Niraj Kumar
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
rigorous.. and a must for all quantum computing persuers..
Jay Moskowitz
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very difficult to read if you don't have a background in the math.
Alex Bush
Great introduction into the concepts of Quantum Computing. A strong background in linear algebra is necessary to fully follow the material.
Ahmad
Apr 25, 2011 is currently reading it
Much better than any other quantum text, I've ever read.
Gellyrose Balabbo

• Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Elements of Information Theory
  • Classical Mechanics
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Signals and Systems
  • Pattern Classification
  • The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »