Start by marking “Sophia” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
An epic survey of the Goddess throughout human history--from her time of prominence and her varied and vibrant guises in the world's major religions to her celebrated modern-day resurgence.
Published January 25th 2008 by Thorsons Publishers (first published January 10th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sophia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophia

Feb 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Wow, I don't think I can finish this book. I was all prepared to love it because I think Caitlin Matthews is wonderful, and a friend recommended this book, and I bought it at a great little metaphysical store in Oakland. But (1) I was looking for a book that is actually about Sophia, which this book is mostly not, and (2) I just cannot stand the ridiculous universalizing of all deities into one or two archetypes. I quote (from a section about the Qabala): "Binah, like Demeter, equates to the cre ...more
This book would have been a lot better if the author had included non western examples of Sophia, like Changing Woman, or the Brazilian Santa Barbara. The author said that doing this would make the book a lot longer. I hope some day some woman will write a more complete book on Sophia.
M.J. Mandoki
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very informative book. Ms. Matthews has great knowledge of mythology. It is worth reading it!
Kathryn Pritchett
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of Feminine Divine exploration through the ages. Very helpful for a presentation I was giving on this topic at a religious retreat.
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Struggled through this one many years ago. I wasn't even able to finish it. I tried, I really tried. I thought I just wasn't smart enough, that it was just me. I should get it. I didn't get it. I read sentences that were obscure and I tried to get a handle on it. I still own this. I may re-read this and see if I was just having a rough time or if this is truly a two star book.
Aug 16, 2012 added it
Apr 08, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this book is amazing. I put it down a few months back and have yet to get back to it.
Aug 01, 2012
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • Sexy Witch
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • When God Is Gone, Everything Is Holy: The Making of a Religious Naturalist
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
Caitlín Matthews is a writer, singer and teacher whose ground-breaking work has introduced many to the riches of our western spiritual heritage.

She is acknowledged as a world authority on Celtic Wisdom, the Western Mysteries and the ancestral traditions of Britain and Europe. She is the author of over 50 books including Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom, a study of Divine Feminine in Gnostic, Jewish and
More about Caitlín Matthews...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99
“Wisdom is neither good nor bad, male nor female, Christian or pagan: she is no one's personal possession. The Goddess of Wisdom reaches down to the depths of our need. Her simple being is so vastly present that we have not noticed it. Indeed, we have not known the depths of our need nor that any assuaging wisdom was near at hand.” 0 likes
“The Fall, so often considered a terrible thing, is a fall into experience; like falling of the epileptic to earth, it may also have its other face, for then we fall into the embrace of our dreams and fears and know them for what they are, face to face.

[...]the fearful face of the Black Goddess is really the veiled Sophia. The rebirth of the mystery initiation brings us into contact with our own power, which we have failed to take in our own time. Part of the reason for this is that we live in the shadow of the Judeo-Christian Fall for which Woman bears the blame. The experience of Psyche and Kore shows the vulnerable face of Sophia, who is not afraid to fall, to learn by seeming mistakes. They show that the descent into death is the only possible pathway to ascent or spiritual rebirth.”