Start by marking “ How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work” as Want to Read:
 How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work

How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work

How to Live a Life of Significance

..". If you had asked me to describe the work I was doing that was important to God, I would have told you about my work in the lay leadership of my church, the adult Sunday school class that I taught, and the work I did with Christian non-profit groups. I secretly envied pastors, missionaries, and others who got to work 'full time' for Go
Published May 10th 2012 by WestBow Press

Be the first to ask a question about How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work

Start your review of How Then Should We Work? Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work
Justin Tapp
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bam, business, church
How Then Should We Work?: Rediscovering the Biblical Doctrine of Work.
Hugh Whelchel is Executive Director of the Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics in Virginia (their blog is here).

Like Tim Keller's book (my review), Whelchel quotes from a large number of earlier works (including Keller) on fleshing out a consistent doctrine of work and vocation. I found Whelchel's work helpful in a few areas.

First, he does a good job spelling out the problem of the modern church in expressing a full "Fou
Bill Pence
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author is the Executive Director of the Institute for Faith, Work & Economics and has a passion and expertise for helping people integrate their faith and vocational calling, or work. He wrote this book as a simple Biblical primer on integrating our faith and work. His purpose is to explore the Biblical intersection of faith and work, attempting to help us understand the differences between work, calling, and vocation and how they should be biblically applied in our daily lives.
He writes tha
Cory Shumate
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best intro to theology of work I’ve read

Out of the half dozen or so popular level theology of work books I’ve come across, this one takes the cake. It combines great history, theology, and practice. If I were to choose one book to hand out to congregants on the topic of work, this is it.
Emi
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It is a good book and a reminder that we are primarily called to be Jesus followers, this should be the basis of all our work. There’s a false divide between sacred and secular because God is the God of all and all things including our jobs should be done to Gods glory.
Also, every good work will be redeemed in new creation.

It could have been a smaller book as lots of ideas kept being repeated
Joshua
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whelchel recaptures Schaeffer's tone in How Should We Then Live and makes biblical and logical extensions to our call to work to glorify God and engage the culture His image-bearers live in and create.
Joel Ohman
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very, very good. Highly recommended reading for all Christians who want to understand how they can find true and lasting meaning in their daily work, and in all that they do, no matter how seemingly insignificant. In some respects, this book was even better than "Every Good Endeavor" by Tim Keller, which is a big compliment coming from me. This book is a quick read, but it covers a LOT. Here are some quick highlights that I enjoyed:

- We should fully integrate God’s call on our lives into all are
Stinger
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Perhaps I would have rated this book higher if not going into it with the expectation level I did. This book is not so much a strictly Scriptural or Christian philosophical approach to working, though it certainly has plenty of those elements, as it is a Reformed view of work. Current and 16th century Reformed theologians are quoted ad nauseum; in fact, seemingly one-third of the book is straight quotation. Much of the book is simply a rehash of others' opinions without much digestion offered by ...more
Mike  Banh
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A much easier read than Tim Keller's "Every Good Endeavor", however, it's just as thought provoking! It's not as comprehensive as Keller's book, but Whelchel does an excellent job in explaining the Biblical Doctrine of Work (i.e. all work is God's work and essential for building God's kingdom and renewing culture)! I highly recommend it!
Steve Godfrey
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic resource for transforming how a Christian approaches work. Our work, no matter how menial or seemingly inconsequential, is part of God's grand plan to redeem the world to Himself. This changes everything.
Jeremy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-life
This was a great treatment of how Christians should view and pursue work in light of a biblical worldview.
Roy Carlisle
Jun 25, 2014
Andres
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
  • Cherish: The One Word That Changes Everything for Your Marriage
  • Help My Unbelief: Why doubt is not the enemy of faith
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • The Cost of Discipleship
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
  • The Practice of the Presence of God In Modern English
  • Ploductivity: A Practical Theology of Tools & Wealth
  • The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together
  • Preaching Killer Sermons: How to Create and Deliver Messages that Captivate and Inspire
  • On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life Through Great Books
  • Knowing God
  • Why Children Matter
  • The Pastor's Soul: The Call and Care of an Undershepherd
  • Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • Eight Innovations to Leading Millennials: How Millennials can grow your church and change the world
As Executive Director of the Institute for Faith, Work & Economics (IFWE) located in McLean, VA, Hugh Whelchel brings a unique combination of executive responsibility, creative educational administration, and technical innovation from over thirty years of diverse business experience. Almost a decade ago, Hugh stepped out of a successful business career in the IT industry to share his experience of ...more

News & Interviews

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” 1 likes
“Our call to be salt and light in the world requires us to understand not only the dominant cultural forces shaping our environment but also how to use both our primary and secondary callings to positively promote God’s Kingdom. The church needs to be teaching lawyers, doctors, construction workers, and mothers homeschooling their children how to carry out their vocational calling from a truly Christian perspective.” 1 likes