Start by marking “Generations: An American Family” as Want to Read:
Generations: An American Family

Generations: An American Family

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The saga of the Ledfords of Lancaster, Kentucky, Generations transcends family biography to become a social history of our national experience, a metaphor of America. This twentieth anniversary edition brings the Ledfords' remarkable story up to date.
Published September 26th 2003 by University Press of Kentucky (first published September 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Generations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generations

Sean
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a family history compiled from interviews of a long-lived Kentucky couple and their offspring. The couple were aged 102 and 93 and had been married for about 74 years when the author sought them out, and they died at ages 106 and 102. Other than longevity the couple had no other claims to fame. I'm not sure this book succeeds at becoming "a social history of our national experience, a metaphor of America". I love history and genealogy, but doubt this book will be of much interest to thos ...more
Ted
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
John Egerton’s 1983 book about the remarkable centenarians Burnam and Addie Ledford is reissued for its 20th anniversary with an update of the Ledfords’ descendants.
The Ledfords’ story in many ways resembles those of other Kentucky families – right down to the earnest claim that their ancestors treated their slaves well. But the Ledfords were eyewitnesses, and keen observers, of times that most of us only hear about from our elders or read about in books. As a boy, Burnam Ledford also met his gr
Rita Quillen
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my personal favorites of all time....any shortcomings it has as a book, as a work of art, are more than compensated for by the incredible human beings you get to meet---and I'm talking about both the family under discussion and the author.
Jacqueline
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It took a long time to read this book, a great family history of an ordinary family. Those who do genealogy like I do will enjoy the narrative John Egerton weaves from oral history, interviews and historical records.
Mary Alice
Mar 04, 2011
Jennie Clayton
Mar 30, 2016
Jamie
rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2008