Start by marking “Sliced Iguana: Travels in Mexico” as Want to Read:
Sliced Iguana: Travels in Mexico

Sliced Iguana: Travels in Mexico

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Behind the façade of sombreros and tequila, tourist traps and holiday resorts, there lies a very different Mexico. In Sliced Iguana Isabella Tree explores a country that is the heart and lifeblood of the Americas, a country of extremes and contradictions. In a land so markedly shaped by machismo, she finds a town controlled by arm-wrestling matriarchs and party-mad transve ...more
Published February 15th 2008 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sliced Iguana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sliced Iguana

Debbie Zapata
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mexico
This book is stunning.

The author weaves history and two year's worth of her own travels into a compelling story.

Anyone with a love for Mexico should read it.

Anyone curious about Mexico should read it.

Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always fascinating, just like Mexico itself.

I am too overwhelmed to say more.
Dan Jones
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd like to defend this book against reader reviews that describe it as "slow" and "hard to get into," because I don't think that's quite fair. This book is unrelenting in its erudition, its intensity--full of history, full of anthropology, full of politics and, especially, religion. It's not a travel book to pick up because you can't afford a vacation this year and need to get away from it all.

This book ISN'T an easy read, and learning about the fallout from Spanish conquest, resonating on e
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Sitaphul
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in Toledo's Biblioteca de Artes Grafica in Oaxaca. It was the first book in English that I spotted (reading DeLillo in espanol was absurd), and even with its ridiculous title, I was dying to read something that I could understand. I ended up thinking the book was pretty good, but couldn't check it out, and then it happened to disappear the next day. That was a stroke of luck, because that lead me to Cabeza's Fire on the Mountain, which I might not have ever known about. Anywa ...more
Nikmaack
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got bored, gave up half way through. Reading the book feels like homework. There's some great stuff in here, but it's such a chore to get to it. I like her present day stories, but those are wrapped in flashbacks to history that has me lost in 5 sentences. The book makes me feel stupid. I don't know if it's her tone, her snobbery, the dense trail of words, or what. I couldn't take it anymore. I'm out.
Allen
Feb 09, 2016 added it

Now into last full chapter. Not quite as interesting to me as the rest of the book, but still good.
I really do recommend this book, but it's not the kind of book you read in a hurry. Each chapter concerns the people of a different city or region, and is full of intriguing stop. My only caveat is that the chapters are longer than my attention span.
John
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, library_books
Like turning the heat up gradually on the lobster in the pot, this one started off well, but became harder to return to each time I picked it up. The author came off as a bit too self-impressed with how "cool" she was in avoiding cliche'ed tourist stuff; moreover, she seemed to transfer her angst about being from a colonial European nation to "at least I'm not American!" Yawn.
Michael ODonnabhain
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, although it took me quite a while to read it, as it's densely packed with lots of really interesting information. I liked her style of writing and the fact that she could relate to the greater poetry of human experience. I just want to go to Mexico now!
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of a country I really had no impression of. I had no idea the landscape and culture of Mexico was so diverse, and under threat in so many ways. I think there is somewhere else on my list of places to visit now.
Karen
Aug 19, 2009 added it
I have struggled to read this travel book of Mexico all summer. The stories of the people were good but the general narrative was cumbersome. I decline to rate this one.
Sarah Simon
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Very average travel story, but lots of Mexican history plus all i could find in the hotel.
Donna Jo Atwood

10.4
Brian
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 27-feb-05
Interesting and very informative.
Robert Davidson