Start by marking “Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation

Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation

It has been more than 20 years since this classic book on formal languages, automata theory, and computational complexity was first published. With this long-awaited revision, the authors continue to present the theory in a concise and straightforward manner, now with an eye out for the practical applications. They have revised this book to make it more accessible to today ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 521 pages
Published November 14th 2000 by Addison Wesley (first published 1979)

Start your review of Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
David
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in tandem with the definitive Sipser text on the topic. I would recommend Sipser, as it is much better at simply communicating the raw concepts, but is weak in application to keep you engaged. And that is where this text delivers. It kept me interested in the topics so that I would dig deeper in to Sipser. The two are parallel from start to finish, so it made an excellent companion.
Seonhee Grace
Dec 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!
Anil Joshi
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the original edition which has a nice description of CSGs and LBA. These two topics are omitted in later editions. I lost my personal copy of the original edition and ordered the later edition only to find that several important topics including the above two which are of particular interest to me to be missing. While the missing topics are not very practical they have certain theoretical beauty. The two author edition is highly recommended.

PS: Original review which had been written on a
Zhaodan Kong
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: research
I haven't read the original version of this book, which some computer scientists told me that they prefer. But for my own sake, as an engineering who just want to get a grasp of some basic ideas about automata, Turing machine, decidability and NP vs. P, I would say this book is the perfect match.
Syed Mridul
Mar 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Worst One......
Lewis Cawthorne
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed studying undergraduate CS theory from this book. It was interesting enough for me to read the half we didn't get to in class's on my own, and it didn't require monumental effort / re-reading / outside materials to understand the subject matter. In that regard, I would say it is a find undergrad book, but probably not the best choice for grad level studies. It does seem to cover a lot of the expected knowledge that shows up in other classes, and it doesn't presuppose the student is an exp ...more
John Ledesma
Jan 30, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Picked up from Saida Akhter in exchange for
ECE 372 Project Report on January, 30th 2012.

Order #: 002-3203239-5060233
Leave seller feedback

Seller: Ammad (contact this seller)
Items:

1 of: Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation (3rd Edition) by John E. Hopcroft [Hardcover]
Daniel Maturana
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic, so there's not much to say. I did find the notation somewhat cumbersome.
Prashant Singh
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Since I am a beginner it's a bit tough for me to grasp the subject.
mohsenmomeni momeni
Feb 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computer science students
Translated to farsi with Ahmad Reza Jalili.
It's my reference on this term teaching.
It had good slides in it's site, translated to farsi by Dr Minaei.
Akter Zaman
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really a good book. I want to learn more from this book.
Nagendra
Dec 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
dddaa aaa
Mohammad Shaker
Not a great book to learn about Automata. Good as a reference.
Srikanth Madikeri
best text book for an introduction on this subject
Sunil
Feb 08, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
hgkjdsg
Yu Chao
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
All the subjects are well-explained, yet it's a little too lengthy for some parts.
深语 郑
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is not a great book for a beginner, especially for one without a teacher.(Maybe It is also because the poor translation of Chinese version hindering me to understand)
Vikramjeet Raj
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The original text is easy to understand.
Jethro Kuan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can be a little dense at times, Sipser's book on the other hand is a lot easier to digest.
Yasiru
After picking at this for goodies here and there, I finally read it more or less start to finish while taking the Automata course from one of the authors on Coursera. Wasn't able to give this learning experience quite the commitment I had in mind, but I still got a lot out of it.

As for the book, I like this first edition I have better than its successors. The proofs are the kind that you can get your hands dirty with and in so doing you really come to grips with them. Coming from a maths backgro
Apple
Extremely dense. This was the text for an Automata Coursera class I did. I think this is a good reference book, but I found it difficult to get through independently. That is, without accompanying lectures, this book would be challenging to digest.

The exercises in the book are helpful.
Matthew Robertson

• Operating System Concepts
  • The One Year Daily Moments of Strength: Inspiration for Men
  • Living with Art

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »