Start by marking “Unprotected” as Want to Read:
Unprotected

Unprotected

Unprotected is the story of Amanda Danscher, a young woman who accepts a position as a child protection social worker.She quickly becomes embroiled in a case against their Minnesota town's former champion hockey player and favorite son, Chuck Thomas, who will do anything to buck the system rather than work with it including whatever it takes to get Amanda out of his way. L ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by North Star Press of St. Cloud

To ask other readers questions about Unprotected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unprotected

Lisa
Mar 05, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books by local authors about places I know or lived in. Because this book is set near my Midwestern roots and written by someone with 20 years of experience in the subject, it is an exceptionally good example - but because its subject is not just child protection but also family and relationships, it is a perfect read for anyone who has either of those things.

UNPROTECTED tells a story about Amanda, a newbie in the world of child protection in smalltown, USA (in this case, Minneso
Debbie Payne
Apr 06, 2014 Debbie Payne rated it really liked it
I read this book as a First Reader's Give away and was very impressed with the author"s writing style and how easily she made her characters come to life on the pages. She possessed the knowledge to give her readers a good glimpse into the world of social work and all it encompasses, The relationships in the book were complex and made us carrel about what was happening in their lives. You just knew that Amanda and Jake were made to be together yet up to the end of the book you were compelled to ...more
Melissa
May 30, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First I have to say how eye catching and pretty the cover is. If I walked by it in a store I would pick it up flip it over to read the description. The characters were relatable, realistic and heartfelt. The story was interesting, touching and very well written.
I would highly recommend this book. I am looking forward to more stories from this new and very promising author.

I won this book through goodreads.
Julie
Mar 16, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in a small Midwestern town, the characters and setting feel familiar. If you know the world of child protection, the plot will ring true. But even if you don't, the family relationships and unfolding mystery will hold your interest to the very end. It's a quick read and impressive debut from a new author.
Paula Ackley
May 20, 2014 Paula Ackley rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was an easy read with likeable characters in tug at your heart situations. Unfortunately, these situations are all too common in our society. It's an eye opener. I loved the little twist at the end. It's worth reading.
Kathy
Jan 07, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the characters and the book. Written by my husband's cousin. About a newbie social worker in Minneapolis. Read in just a few days. Job well done Kristin!
Kirsten
Feb 04, 2016 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Purple Osprey
Jan 28, 2015 Purple Osprey rated it liked it
Well, the writer probably shouldn't quit her day job yet.
I like the idea of this book, but it seems a little off.
Psychology feels unrealistic. (All these people taking deep interest and truly caring for this damaged Amanda? Yeah, well, most healthy people would avoid her like plague. She's clingy and draining and depressed and insecure for god's sake)

The tone of the book is whiny. I get it that Amanda is supposed to be whiny and full of self pity, but there must be other literary means to let
Beth
Apr 15, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky to have won this in a First Reads contest. I was hooked from the first sentence. I loved that it was a fast read,with great characters & story. I loved that the character's were written in such a way that one could relate to them. I liked how the author shared her knowledge of social work and the legal system and incorporated it into the story so you could see both sides of the issue. I recommend this to anyone that wants to have a good laugh, a good cry while enjoying a bit of m ...more
Tori Gorman
Sep 21, 2015 Tori Gorman rated it it was amazing
Unprotected was an overall amazing book. It hooked me from the beginning with the romance between Amanda and Jacob. I loved how kris incorporated romance, social work, and plot twists all into one. It was cool to read about fictional social work cases. This was one of my favorite books, because it kept me interested throughout the whole book. The best part of it was the plot twists at the end. Can't wait to read unattached.
Briana Capra
Feb 29, 2016 Briana Capra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Johnson
Mar 07, 2013 Kristin Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's my book, friends. I sorta hafta give it 5 stars, huh? But I think I probably would have given it five stars anyway. Romance, mystery, characters I care about.....I hope you'll give it a try.
Allyssa Martineau
Allyssa Martineau rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Kari
Kari rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Ann Jarema
Ann Jarema rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2016
Paula Lamantia
Paula Lamantia rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Mike Kolsky
Mike Kolsky rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Darcy
Darcy rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Deeann
Deeann rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
North Star Press
North Star Press rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2016
Rob Bignell
Rob Bignell rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Lindsie
Lindsie rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
  • Fallen Embers (Alterra Histories #2)
  • Structured Chaos (PMLD #2)
  • Letters from Ruby
  • The Jade Pirate (Elizabeth Latimer, Pirate Hunter #2)
  • Magdalene (Tales of Dunham, #3)
  • Cut the Lights
  • Jackson's Pond, Texas
  • Invincible (Piercing the Veil, #2)
  • Unintended Consequences
  • Ezekiel's Bones
  • Rush to Glory: Formula 1 Racing's Greatest Rivalry
  • The Wife Campaign (The Master Matchmakers, #2)
  • Things Withered
  • Connelly's Horde (Wheels & Hogs #1)
  • DIY Dye: Bright and Funky Temporary Hair Coloring You Do at Home