Start by marking “Creating with God: The Holy Confusing Blessedness of Pregnancy” as Want to Read:
Creating with God: The Holy Confusing Blessedness of Pregnancy

Creating with God: The Holy Confusing Blessedness of Pregnancy

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews

Creating with God is a boldly truthful, sometimes funny, and deeply spiritual account of where babies come from and where babies take us. Jobe reads the Bible through the lens of her back-to-back pregnancies and finds that God shows up in pregnancy when we least expect it. Weaving together biblical reflection, her own story, and the stories of the moms around her, Jobe re

Published October 1st 2011 by Paraclete Press

To ask other readers questions about Creating with God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating with God

Missy Davis
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It offered so many insights on how pregnancy is not something to be endured or simply suffered through but how it reflects God's love and character. It's also very honest and funny.
Libby
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, church
Really, really enjoyed this book that looks at the ways that pregnancy draws us closer to God--often unexpectedly. Spoke to some of my own pregnancy experiences.
Amy Kannel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was probably the most encouraging and edifying pregnancy book I've ever read. Funny and honest without cloying sentimentality or cynical negativity. But more importantly, a really compelling exploration of various passages of Scripture and the ways pregnant women uniquely reflect the image of God. I found it really helpful to think about the spiritual wisdom and insights to be gained by observing or experiencing pregnancy. Almost 5 stars.
Katie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you read this while you are pregnant (I'm not right now), be sure to pay attention to Jobe's advice in the introduction about how chapters 4, 6, and 8 contain stories of loss. I probably would have been ok reading chapters 6 and 8, but chapter 4 is hard to read and even though it is a great chapter, I will have to skip it if re-read this during a future pregnancy. I'm not necessarily planning on being pregnant again, but if I am, I plan on reading this book again. Jobe offers a fascinating lo ...more
Jeanette
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! The only reason it doesn't get five stars is that Jobe muses more than once on all the diet changes she's made for pregnancy and I just couldn't relate. I haven't really made any diet changes, besides abstaining from alcohol. There were a few points like this throughout the book, in which she seems to make an assumption that every pregnancy is going to have some commonalities, which I haven't experienced.

However, it was, all-round, uplifting, comforting, and thought-provoking.
Adam Shields
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short Review: Recommended for those looking for spiritual insight into pregnancy (and expectant Dads). This isn't a heavy book, I read it in an afternoon. But it was a good one. Jobe is honest about the ups and downs of pregnancy and childbirth and is seeking out ways that her experience as a mother can speak to her faith and how her Christian faith and reading of scripture can teach her about pregnancy. Well worth reading.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/creating-with-god/
Larkin
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is an interesting read, but it varies in theme. Most of the time it talks about pregnancy first and then relates Christian beliefs to pregnancy. But in some cases, it relates our beliefs to the pregnancy. I found myself wanting less about my general faith and more about how my faith would help me enjoy my pregnancy in a new way. Nonetheless, interesting and fairly quick to read.
Kelly Schnell
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full of so many good reminders that mothers should be acknowledged for their strength and selflessness. And that there are so many ways to see God in the joys and trials of pregnancy. But is she putting pregnant women on too tall a pedestal? Not sure.
Lydia
Nov 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Lydia by: Lauren F. Winner
Shelves: to-read-spirtual
Kate
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
She spoke at my parenting group and is so wise and articulate. She is a prison chaplain and I can see her doing tremendous good there.
Elisabeth
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting little book about ways that pregnant women are like Christ. A quick, easy, fun read.
Kristin
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Some great ideas and encouragement. Also some different ideas. But overall good, quick read.
Claire