Start by marking “Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary” as Want to Read:
Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary

Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary

Could the gospel be lost in evangelical churches? In this book, J.D. Greear shows how moralism and legalism have often eclipsed the gospel, even in conservative churches. Gospel cuts through the superficiality of religion and reacquaints you with the revolutionary truth of God's gracious acceptance of us in Christ. The gospel is the power of God, and the only true source o ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by B Books (first published September 13th 2011)

Joseph McBee
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to confess, I didn't like this book at first. The style of writing felt simplistic and the anecdotes felt forced, like the author was just trying too hard to make everything "relevant."

Despite my initial negative feelings about the book, I kept reading. The reason I kept reading is because the author makes much of Jesus. On page after page, J.D. Greear exalts the name and work of Christ and invites his readers to do the same.

I was also drawn to the way Greear offers practical application,
J.S. Park
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Much of Gospel is unoriginal, and J.D. Greear proudly claims so. Often written like a Greatest Hits Album from a cross-section of the best preachers today, Gospel works largely because of its sincerity and straightforward simplicity. It's like a quadruple espresso shot of Bible truth aiming for the heart of the matter: namely, your heart. It will especially revive those who are frustrated or flailing in their Christian walk.

With endorsements by Tim Keller, Matt Chandler, David Platt, Albert Moh
Jerry
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous look at what true Christian life is.
Tung
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Gospel” is one of those words used often by Christians but not fully understood. Pastors routinely throw around the world without explicitly explaining its meaning or its implications. In this book, Greear explains what the gospel is (“that Jesus is Lord and that He has won the battle for your salvation” – in other words, the gospel is about the person and work of Christ); and more importantly, he explains what impact a firm grasp of the gospel has on one’s life. The book uses a “Gospel prayer” ...more
Justin Tapp
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: church
(The first thing I note is for Kindle readers: For some reason, Amazon isn't saving/displaying my highlights for this book as with other books, so I don't have location references with the quotes below. I'm not sure where the fault is here, it simply does not appear on the Your_Highlights page, the history skips over this book for some reason.)

My church went through the video and study guide series version (Gospel Revolution), but I missed out on most of it so I read the book instead. This book
Bryan Robinson
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Gospel - JD Greear
January 28, 2012
I enjoyed these points of the book:
1. p4 - Jonathan Edwards likened his reawakening to the gospel to a man who had known, in his head, that honey was sweet, but for the first time had that sweetness burst alive in his mouth.
2. p52 - Satan starts with what you did, and tears down who you are. The Holy Spirit starts with what Christ has declared over you, and helps you rebuild what you did.
3. p63 - Most preachers think that preaching the law (exclusively) in s
Jeremy
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall a good read. Repetitive in parts (for the sake of internalization, not clumsy redundancy), but a quick, insightful, non-judgmental look at what the Church is supposed to be. It revealed some truths along the way that I simply would rather pretend weren't true. Like for example when the author criticizes the quote attributed to St. Francis ("Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary use words) by saying that people will not hear the Gospel unless we use words. While I agree that the to ...more
Jeff Short
Given the book's premise, I was eager to read it and wanted to really like it. Mostly I did with only a couple of complaints. First, this book is very practical and that is both good and bad. The point was to be practical and that was good, but at times the reader would have been better served by going a little deeper into the text of Scripture and providing solid foundation for the practical application. Second, some of the jokes and cultural references felt a little forced and distracting. Thi ...more
Jeff
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-book-list
J.D. offers a prayer in this book which I like:

"In Christ, there is nothing I can do that would make You love me more, and nothing I have done that makes You love me less.
Your presence and approval are all I need for everlasting joy.
As you have been to me, so I will be to others.
As I pray, I'll measure your compassion by the cross and Your power by the resurrection."

Gospel change is the Spirit of God using the story of God to make the beauty of God come alive in our hearts.

Most of the mira
Scott
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book I could not put down. And so often I feel as Christians we get caught up in the bible laws and passages that we forget that the bible was a history of events that led to the crucifixion of Christ, he's resurrection and the beginning of the Church as we know it.

Focus as Christians today should be placed on Christ the bearer of our sins. His teachings are found throughout the Gospel.

This book highlights why we as Christians should focus on the teachings of the Gospel for true redemptio
Scott Johnson
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a clear and inspiring read and reminder of the power of the gospel of Jesus! Easy to read, Greear is witty, illustrative, and thorough! It is the gospel that saves, and grows the believer in faith! Well worth the time!
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read on gospel application!!
Alexis Salcido
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
There were a lot of great points made in this book! I really liked that the author discussed legalism and how we as Christians immediately think we should take everything the bible says literally. I took a lot of notes because a lot of points hit home..but also I felt like a lot of what J.D. said was repetitive.

When the author discussed the Muslim who had a vision, he said that visions are some extraordinary event, which I do not agree with. I think any Christ follower can have visions and be o
Andie Taylor
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was just what I needed. It's primary focus is on the gospel. Most people think we must DO something for approval from God, when in reality we must BELIEVE in the gospel and everything else will follow.
J D Greear has a quote in this book that I really held on to...

"You might never really know Jesus is all that you need until He is all that you have."

And one by Charles Spurgeon...

"How could those of us who have known Jesus and failed to take Him to those who have not heard, p
Princess Ventures
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Donald
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Gospel' is a timely reminder of how to choose to let Christ's sacrificial love take up His residence in me, so that I love others with that same love. I gave the book three stars because at places I felt as though J.D. Greear was speaking condescendingly and self-righteously to me. Also there was quite a-bit of redundancy with the use of the 'highlight boxes.' The gem of good news of the book? The (para-)phrase, ' There is nothing you can screw-up on that will cause God to love you less; not ...more
Luther
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It's simple yet so helpful for Christian living. This is an amazing book on the transforming power of the Gospel. He gets transparent at times in this one. This book helps those that fight against legalism and that inner strive for perfection. He helps remind us that we don't have to earn God's favor. He reminds us that what Jesus did on the cross was enough to bring us in right relationship with God. That God's grace is a gift. Tand that this gospel message is one we will have t ...more
Rebekah Laughbaum
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leading up to Chapter 12 of this book, about 75% of the way in, I thought “eh, I’ll give this book three stars. Good truths, but nothing that I haven’t heard in other gospel-centered novels.” BUT THEN Chapter 12 hit. I cannot emphasize enough how good the last 75 pages were. So good that I cannot write about it in a review. If you want more info, talk to me in real life, and I’ll rave about it to ya ;)
Kellye
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotionals
I reread this book as part of my quiet time. It is an easy, excellent read about the nature of Christianity. In a time when Christians appear to be tearing each other apart to the amusement of the world, it's an excellent reminder that the Gospel is the center--not doctrine or theology or any of the things we argue so vehemently about. In the end, Christ died for us--all of us--and made it possible for us to have a relationship with the Father. Good news, indeed.
Kristi Spencer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life-Transforming

This book clearly explains why Christianity isn’t about doing more or being a better person. It is about God and His love and power shown in the gospel message. The more you saturate your mind with the gospel, the more Christ will transform your heart. Reading this book can open your eyes to what God’s role is and what yours is in regards to salvation and service; hint, God has all the power and we have the ability to respond!
Robert Prather
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re comfortable in your Christianity, don’t read this book... better yet, if you’re comfortable in your Christianity, this should be the NEXT BOOK ON YOUR LIST! Without bashing or pulpit whipping, JD lays out the truth of the Gospel and the impact it should have in our lives. Not only that, but he shares what that should look like in our lives, the life of the church, and the life of our community.
Mike
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How should the gospel of Jesus Christ impact your life, family, church, and community? Greear uses accurate biblical exegesis to give the answer. Practical, applicable, easy to read, and useful, this book is motivated by Greear's live for Christ's gospel. Greear uses a brief prayer as a model to teach how Christians are to biblically manifest the gospel in their lives. I will use the information I learned in this book in my personal life, home, work, church, and community.
C.J. Moore
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that helped me with my own gospel reawakening as I lived in China, sharing the gospel with agnostics and atheists on a daily basis. The goodness of the gospel's power takes the weight off of my shoulders when it comes to evangelism. The gospel has the power to save; I don't. In the era of gospel-centeredness, I think Greear's book will be appreciated as one of the best.
Noah Aderman
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on the gospel. It is JD at his finest, with all of his jokes, illustrations, and teachings. If you love Jesus, you will love this book. It is for unbelievers and old believers. I cannot recommend it enough.
Warren Pace
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a highly recommended book! Greear points you to Jesus over and over. The gospel is not simply the diving board of our faith, it is the pool. Find clarity in our wayward attempts to live for God. Find rest in the only place, the Gospel!
Daniel Addo
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loved reading this book! Interestingly, it was the last appendix that spoke most to me. He wrote about being more excited about gospel-centeredness than the gospel itself. That’s powerful! God help us
Jeremy
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
This is an excellent exploration of the TRUE gospel as not just a transaction but a source of all real life for all of life. This is a great book for discipleship or helping an individual (maybe you?) move from a religious life to a life of freedom in the gospel.
Deborah J Parker
This is one of the best Christian books I have ever read, and I have read a lot of them. It really helps take you closer to Jesus.
Molly Cruz
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome teaching

Very enjoyable to read and have a deeper understanding of what the Gospel is truly in my life, marriage, community and relationship with God.
TJW
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
J.D. Greear has an excellent way of explaining the importance of the Gospel to each one of us. His analogies help clarify his points and bring life to the relationship we have with Christ.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope
  • Jesus + Nothing = Everything
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?
  • Comforts from the Cross: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel-Centered Life
  • Ten Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe: Are Urban Legends & Sunday School Myths Ruining Your Faith?
  • Redemption: Freed by Jesus from the Idols We Worship and the Wounds We Carry
  • Disciple: Getting Your Identity from Jesus
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
J.D. Greear, Ph.D., did his degree work in Christian and Islamic theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. He is Lead Pastor of The Summit Church in Raleigh-Durham, NC. The Summit’s vision is to plant 1,000 churches in by the year 2040. Currently, they have planted 11 and have several church planting teams stationed around the world.
“When something becomes so important to you that it drives your behavior and commands your emotions, you are worshipping it.” 35 likes
“My identity and my security are not in my spiritual progress. My identity and my security are in God’s acceptance of me given as a gift in Christ.” 16 likes