Start by marking “Springtime for Germany” as Want to Read:
Springtime for Germany

Springtime for Germany

2.92  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Unable to resist the advances of the world's first travel therapist, Ben Donald goes where few holidaymakers and so-called travellers have wanted to go - at least not since 1945. He lays bare and disproves (most) stereotypes about our German friends and falls back in love with travel.
Published 2007 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about Springtime for Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Springtime for Germany

Sho
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: travel-writing
I love travel writing. I love Germany. How could I resist this one?

I wish I had resisted it. It started off well with promise but soon descended into something that is more about the average Brit's (uninformed) attitude towards Germany and the Germans. It boiled down to: it's a big place, they like to get naked and they started two world wars. Sigh. zzzzz.
Natalye
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Springtime for Germany: Or How I Learned to Love Lederhosen" -Ben Donald (2007)

Although I initially had a difficult time getting into this book, after the first few chapters, I was hooked. Not in a page-turning, can't-set-it-down sort of way, but just in the fact that I was learning new and interesting things in every page.

Truth be told, the narratives about the author's personal life and his conversations with his "travel agent" were a bit boring, and I admit I skimmed those parts a bit. But I
Helmutkolsch
Sep 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody outside England
In this book Ben Donald introduces us some interesting themes, or better he would like to do it.

Getting over this book is a tough job. I mean, there are some interesting points and cues, but they are just sketched out and diluted with british humour (bigotry?) which is rather bothersome. Donald seems more at ease in lampooning a theme, rather than developing it. The point is that even lampooning a theme is an art. One cannot simply behave like a kid yelling "poo!" and expect a standing ovation
Alison Hardtmann
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
Ben Donald's book was both frustrating and informative. It aims for a humorous look at those wacky Germans, which is a niche that is sadly under filled, given the sheer quantity of similar books focusing on the French, Italians or even Brits. There are just not a lot of fun ways to learn about German culture and customs or even books that just give a feel of the place.

Springtime for Germany has a bad beginning, starting as it does with the fictional and silly premise that the author comes under
Christina
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Finally finished this book - right before I leave for Germany! Some nice anecdotes about various parts of the country. My only problem with this book was since it was written by a Brit, there were a lot of references to things in England. This was tedious when I didn't get the comment. Otherwise, fun read.
Muphyn
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
short review to come.
Elaine
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Second time around - a look into the soul and culture of Germany.
Oktober
Jan 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Nach 80 Seiten abgebrochen. Das Buch ist weder witzig noch informativ, dafür strotzt es vor Fehlern.
Miska