Start by marking “Thinking Spiritually” as Want to Read:
Thinking Spiritually

Thinking Spiritually

John Owen (1616-1683) is one of the most prominent theologians England has ever had. The Grace and Duty of being Spiritually Minded was published in 1681, after illness had caused Owen to spend time meditating upon the importance of spirituality. Of all the evils which I have seen in the days of my pilgrimage, he wrote, there is none as grievous as the public contempt of t ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2006 by EP BOOKS (first published 1681)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Spiritually, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Spiritually

Start your review of Thinking Spiritually
David Szomor
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unbelievable exposition on Romans 8:6. I have been going through John Owen’s Puritan Paperbacks in my devotions and they have been a great refreshment to my soul.
“When the new man is put on Christ is all in all”
“Prayer is an act of grace arising from the heart”
Basically one liners upon one liners throughout the book and it’s hard to choose which ones to meditate on. Which is a beautifully conundrum. Highly recommend.
Darby Hughes
This is excellent, wise, and really helpful. Each short-ish chapter is like a regular dose of spiritual medicine.
Pete Williamson
An excellent book for devotional reading. Reading Owen is like going to the doctor for a checkup - he will likely reveal that there is more wrong with you than you wanted to know, but in the end you can be confident that he knows what he's talking about and if you follow his instructions it will go well with you. Can't recommend this book enough!
Bambi Moore
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Rachel Humphrey
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owen's examination of Romans 8:6.
Jerry
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Sturdy.
Keith
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Johnny Owen. His books are timeless and they help teach how to walk via the Scriptures in a practical way. Thanks Johnny! ❤️
Alex
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I doubt I can express in words the greatness of this book. The immensity of the subject Owen deals with is infinite, as the object of our thoughts, as Christians, is infinite. That is Christ Jesus.
While reading this book I saw my own serious lack in this area; I saw how much more I need to meditate on things above where Christ is, and to count as rubbish the painted beauties of this present world.
What a great help and aid this book is to personal meditation on heavenly things. It is true to say
Matt  Ediger
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much needed

I have read several other works by John Owen. While The Mortification of Sin still remains my favorite, this one probably comes in second.

I have never found Owen particularly easy to read, but the effort is well worth it. Essentially at every turn of the page there is practical, convicting, and deep insight. The book is an examination of Romans 8:6.
John Wise
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, theology
John Owen was an English Puritan and Oxford University administrator. He wrote Spiritual-Mindedness because he was deeply concerned about the dangers of worldliness. His work is blunt, hard-hitting, practical, and helpful.

Favorite quote: "Everything in the world has no greater aim than to possess the hearts and minds of men."
Steve Alde
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I am going through it a second time. It increases my love for and sense of awe of God and His gracious love shown through Christ Jesus. It also humbles me and motivates me to nurture within myself an ever increasing love and desire for God.
Kim
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, christian
46 11/28/13 'To be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.' Romans 8:6
So much clarity and practicality, so much depth and challenging truth. Really wonderful.
Brian
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in 2004. Read abridgment in 2010. Reread unabridged version in 2016. Very important book. Will reread again, and again after that.
Michael Dionne
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect book for the modern Christian beset by worldliness.

This book helps delineate between “assurance” and “security.” Yes, you can be saved and not feel like it, and the reason is probably because you are too enthralled with this world. Owen paints a beautiful picture of a believer who grasps tightly to his Savior and sees all things in like of Christ’s work and love. The way to fight worldliness is to take our eyes off the world and focus them on Christ!

“Spiritual-mindedness subdues and ex
Jimmy Chavedo
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give it 5 stars because it’s Owen and brilliant, but I also want to give it 3 stars because it is repetitive. Most likely the 3 star leaning is because I am so removed from how anyone, much less a brilliant person like Owen, communicated almost 400 years ago. The concepts contained in this book are brilliant, but the style of communication left me less than enthralled with its reading-this says more about me than it does the work I am sure.
Daniel Beaulieu
Recommended by John Piper.
Stephanie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So easy to read. So convicting. Excellent book
Vincent Kajuma
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
We read this together in a church book club, forcing me to read it fairly closely.

Of Owen's work, there is no disputing as to the spiritual help one can receive from this book. Of Mr. Appleby's abridgement of it, kudos for the easy, accessible language and capturing the gist his arguments quite reasonably and with remarkable simplicity. I had some qualms here and there, however, as one who read the abridgement alongside the original work (Goold's edition). In some places he skipped whole paragra
Keith Feisel
In his preface, John Owen (1616-1683) explains that he wrote this book because "... the world is at present in a mighty hurry, and being in many places cast off from all foundations of steadfastness, it makes the minds of men giddy with its revolutions, or disorderly in the expectations of them.... Hence, men walk and talk, as if the world were all, when comparatively it is nothing."

Though written in the seventeenth century, Owen's words seem to speak directly to our time. THE GRACE AND DUTY OF
Patience
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoying good preaching, praying fervently and earnestly in public, enjoying listening to others as they speak of spirtual things - all these are NOT signs of true spiritual thinking which is an evidence of new life in Christ. This is a challenging modern language summary of John Owen's 'The grace and duty of being spiritually minded'. Owen challenges us search our own hearts for evidence of spiritual thoughts, desires and delight in Christ springing up from within and often (if not most of the ...more
Kristy
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very big help in kicking some bad habits of sin! Reading John Owen's style of writing was difficult at first but improved the more I continued reading it. He is a great puritan theologian indeed! I highly recommend this book because it will benefit the soul much.
Tim Mallon
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

A mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace. John Owen expounds being spiritually minded with sound words. Highly recommended.
Asriel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is important to note that this is an abridgment of Owen's original work. Numerous sections were taken out of context...which, while teaching some truths, skewed Owen's overall themes and points.
Sid Sid
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good read.
Kevin Roberts
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the books on my list to read each year. Great devotional thoughts that being conviction and resolve.
Bartje Jelier

• The Holiness of God
  • This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence
  • Help! I'm Anxious
  • From Paradise to the Promised Land: An Introduction to the Pentateuch
  • Does God Care How We Worship?
  • The Doctrine of Repentance
  • Glory of Heaven
  • When People Are Big and God Is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man
  • Six Books on the Priesthood (Popular Patristics)
  • Who Shall Ascend the Mountain of the Lord?: A Biblical Theology of the Book of Leviticus
  • Made According to Pattern
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Hannah's Child: A Theologian's Memoir
  • The Triune God
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)

News & Interviews

“God is “all in all.” He therefore is, or ought to be, the only supreme, absolute object of our thoughts and desires; other things are from and for him only.” 0 likes
“But things are come to that pass amongst us that unless a more than ordinary vigorous exercise of the ministry of the word, with other means appointed unto the same end, be engaged in to recall professors unto that strict mortification, that sincerity of conversation, that separation from the ways of the world, that heavenly mindedness, that delight in the contemplation of spiritual things, which the gospel and the whole nature of Christian religion do require, we shall lose the glory of our profession, and leave it very uncertain what will be our eternal condition.” 0 likes