Start by marking “Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering” as Want to Read:

(Studies in Nonlinearity)

This textbook is aimed at newcomers to nonlinear dynamics and chaos. The presentation stresses analytical methods, concrete examples, and geometric intuition. A unique feature of the book is its emphasis on applications. These include mechanical vibrations, lasers, biological rhythms, superconducting circuits, insect outbreaks, chemical oscillators, genetic control ...more
Published January 19th 2001 by Westview Press (first published 1994)

Start your review of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
Mark Moon
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I skimmed this book while watching the author's corresponding lecture series on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list....
Robert
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this to be an excellent introduction to the subject, with clear explanations and extremely good organisation of the material. Examples build on each other in a logical fashion and make the pure mathematics concrete by using genuine scientific applications. The subject itself is fascinating and surprisingly mathematically tractable. The early chapters could be handled by anyone with A-level mathematics. Infrequent references to esoteric subjects like point-set topology are made for the ...more
Santiago Ortiz
I'm just starting the book, but I already know this is a ★★★★★. This book is a window to Nature. The ratio between deepness and accessibility is amazing, thanks to the well written and clear texts and, specially, the smart and beautiful geometric explanations and qualitative solutions.
Caroline
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This introduction to nonlinear dynamics is easy and entertaining to read. Those are qualities sorely missing from most math books out there. I recommend it to anyone -- undergraduate, graduate, or beyond -- who needs an excellent, beautifully clear introduction to nonlinear dynamics.
Kyle
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fixed points, their equilibrium, bifurcation parameters, non-dimensionalization, linearization, romeo and juliet
Daniel Brandtner
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Strogatz delivers a readable and comprehensible introduction to nonlinear systems and chaos. He prefers intuitive explanations and examples to rigorous mathematical proofs (though he always indicates where one could find more detailed analysis).
minhhai
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, technical
Excellent introductory book on nonlinear dynamics. It's pedagogical, practical and very entertaining, albeit the topics are quite abstract. Strogatz finds effective ways to convey unfamiliar concepts such as limit cycle, bifurcation, strange atractor, Cantor set, to a broad range of educated readers. Many real-world examples in Physics, Biology illustrate the concepts as well as keep readers intrigued.

The book is self-contained and requires only some familiarity with one- and multi-variable
Johannes
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: advanced undergrads, beginning grad students
Shelves: physics
This is the book for nonlinear dynamics. Strogatz's writing is not only easy to follow, but is also pleasant, conversational, and at times even a bit whimsical. The book opens with very simple material, and while it eventually touches on some fairly advanced ideas (eg renormalization), it builds up to that point very carefully, so the student should never feel overwhelmed. The examples and problems are drawn from a wide range of fields, so students from disciplines besides math and physics ...more
Erickson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introductory text on nonlinear dynamics and chaos, with great examples and exercises covering various fields. It is advised though to read certain examples selectively (e.g. if you are not interested in Josephson junction, then skip it since it is somewhat distracting). But otherwise the narration and content are splendid.

It is written in not so rigorous and technical sense - thus more advanced supplement is needed for more advanced purposes. It is also highly advisable to complement
Mangoo
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: (under)graduates students
Excellent mathematical introduction to the dynamics of non-linear systems. The text style is rather informal, and very clear, and many of the concepts and results presented are exposed in an intuitive way. Beginning from uni-dimensional systems and reaching to chaos and strange attractors, there's that typical progressive crescendo in complexity which makes the reading worth and sticking. The book also contains a lot of examples taken from several disciplines (physics, chemistry, population ...more
DJ
Oct 08, 2008 added it
Shelves: priority
Dang... Promised myself I wouldn't crack this open until classes were over but couldn't resist. Where will the gateway drug to nonlinear dynamics and chaos lead me? Selling sexual favors and stolen TVs for Lyapunov exponents?
Elio Nakouzi
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Top quality book. Accessible but powerful. Excellent examples to demonstrate the concepts. Even useful as a course textbook.
George
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Background: I'm an aerospace engineering undergraduate who has been exposed to chaos in differential equations, fluid turbulence, and dynamic meteorology. However, my studies never went into the theory of chaos, as this is more of a math topic than an engineering one. I thought it would be beneficial to read this book so I would have a more complete understanding of chaos.

Reaction: I was very satisfied with this book. Strogatz isn't like your usual author of a math textbook. He isn't trying to
Joe
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive textbook about nonlinear dynamics, chaos, and complexity sciences. Be forewarned, theres math - but math is the language of science and everything here is essential and approachable. Not only is this a great introduction, it also makes a solid reference work for later use. Professor Strogatz also has a free companion YouTube series that follows along with the book. Highly recommended. ...more
Ruth
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is kind of a lie, since we didn't go through the ENTIRE book, but we did cover the first two parts and a bit of the third. I feel like with a better teacher I could have both enjoyed it and learned something from it. I guess we'll never know, now. So long, Strogatz.
Ilknur
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We used this book as a textbook for a differential equations course I took couple years back. Greatly enjoyed the topic and the book. There is a newer edition of this book as of 2015 and I believe the author also has online lectures posted somewhere
tyra
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
dense, but not in a good way >_<
Lukas Nulens
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physics
Amazing book, well written, clear examples, understandable with none to basic knowledge. I really appreciated the several applications in the other study fields.
Hanah Goetz
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, this book sparked my love for applied mathematics and is the reason I am currently in a PhD program for biological design.
William
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, science
Excellent introduction to most of the topics mentioned. The chapter on the Lorenz attractor does a great job of giving you the blow-by-blow of the explorative study of a dynamical system.
Robert John Haynie
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Was our textbook for my Nonlinear Dynamics class back in college. Strogatz's language is very clear, at least for junior-senior level math students.
123...N
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos by Strogatz is an introduction to the qualitative study of systems of first degree differential equations. Topics included through the first six chapters (which is as far as I have currently read) are bifurcations, stability of fixed points, linearization about fixed points, and many others. The writing is more conversational than a normal textbook which makes it less painful to read but also has some drawbacks.

Cons: The book is harder to use as a reference than
Mubarak Alsaeedi
I studied this book in a course about Dynamical System and Chaos MATH-414 at Kuwait University.
We covered the following material:
Chapter 1: Overview.
In this chapter, the author takes us on a journey about the history of dynamical systems.
Chapter 2: One-dimensional flows.
It was an intuitive introduction to the subject by showing the qualitative approach to the differential equations.
Chapters 3 and 8: Bifurcations.
Here we study the state when there is a qualitative change in the dynamic of the
Stuart Woolf
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This is probably the best math book I've ever read. The author's approach, which is highly unusual in math, emphasizes intuition and visualization over abstractions and formulae - a winning strategy because it eases the learning curve for an otherwise difficult subject without stressing the technical details. Some readers will see this as a flaw, but I think the text is balanced correctly: after all, nonlinear dynamics is a field that yields very few analytical solutions, so why waste
Saul
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clear and engaging text on nonlinear dynamics with lots of great examples from real-world systems. Rarely do you read a textbook and think to yourself "Wow, I can't wait to find time to work on some of these homework problems." The descriptions often make use of geometric intuition alongside more rigorous derivations, and when the derivations get too difficult, the author omits them in favor of references to more technical works.

One little gripe: the figures are sometimes kind of lousy or
Michele Cotter
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
A really excellent book that served as a fascinating introduction to a complex and pervasive subject. I used the first 8 chapters to get to grips with nonlinear systems for a summer research project and will continue using it for the project and on my own time. Strogatz is a master of communicating complex topics clearly, and emphasizes intuition and understanding the mechanisms at work as the path to understanding the formulae.

The book, though written in an almost literary fashion, would
Milad
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
X'(t)=AX+B. That's all we want to solve. This book teaches you how to solve them precisely at some points, but mostly it's all about dynamics and you don't have to be very precise in that area. The examples of the book are also very cool and fun to go through. For example, you analyze how a tumor grows and you even get the power to draw the dynamics in a plot. As another example, you find out about the dynamics of what happens if a specific number of sheep and rabbits are living together in one ...more
Maximiliano Contreras
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Very readable introduction to the basis of Dynamical Systems. A lot of examples and very few mathematical background is required. In that sense is just an introduction; further reading is required to understand deeper concepts (Sharkovsky, for instance).

I suggest to watch the lectures in Youtube; makes easier to understand some concepts and have discussions that are not addressed in the book.

The references are flawless; contains the angular stones as well as more applied reviewed publications.

Tom
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the order and structure in chaos. Describes the hisor of the thought in the field, advance, and how it is being applied and may be applied as the field continues to mature. The lecture is very interesting and enthusiatic. I do intend to read some of the materials that he suggested.
Gy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dear Professor Strogatz, thanks for brain massacre! :) Great book, fascinating skills of the author to bring closer something that is chaos and nonlinear dynamics.
Despite the fact that I've found delight in this book, I'm considering myself as person who lacks the level of knowledge that is "sine qua non" for crafting credible review.
Love Affairs 1 15 Feb 05, 2009 04:32PM

• Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Engineering Mathematics
  • Mathematical Methods

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Steven Strogatz is the Schurman Professor of applied mathematics at Cornell University. A renowned teacher and one of the worlds most highly cited mathematicians, he has been a frequent guest on National Public Radios Radiolab. Among his honors are MIT's highest teaching prize, membership in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a lifetime achievement award for communication of math to ...more

Studies in Nonlinearity (3 books)
  • Exploring Chaos: Theory and Experiment