Start by marking “The Color of Light” as Want to Read:
The Color of Light

The Color of Light

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  452 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
He's twenty-three years old and already a prodigy, a critically acclaimed author of whom great things are expected--immediately ... But artistic success and happiness will not come easily to Chub Fuller. Like many writers, he will find himself descending again and again into the lower reaches of his psyche, driven by the phantoms of his past, the obsessive passions of othe ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1984 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Light

Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, in spite of the fact that I slowly grew to despise the main character.
Chub Fuller is a talented young writer with his future ahead of him. He writes his first novel to critical and popular claim. But he manages to mess up almost everything else in his life. He make grievous errors, but he instead of feeling remorse, he wallows in self-pity. He can't come to terms with his horrible past, but does nothing to remedy it.
His character is portrayed very shallowly, but I can't dec
Lea
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this several times in the 80s and remember absolutely loving it. Even though I haven't read it in ages (and don't even know where my copy is now), the story and characters still stick with me. The ending, in particular, just blew me away. I'm anxious to read it again and see if it's as great as I remember.
Armin Hennig
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Dieses Künstlerschicksel ist eine gelungene Hommmage an Irwin Shaw und auf jeden Fall unvergleichlich viel besser als Tinsel, auch bei der überraschenden Schlusswendung.
Leider ist die Gestaltung der kreativen Krise ziemlich wurschtelig geraten, sonst wäre vielleicht sogar eine bessere Bewertung drin gewesen. Ausführliche Rezi eines schönen Tages, vielleicht.
Robert
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A meadnering book that doesn't go anywhere, but I didn't care, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Not his best idea for a book, but it was kind of a bohemian book. Goldman's On The Road.
Joey
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an ending! A Hitchcockian chef d"oeuvre. Great, great book.
Rowena
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the coming-of-age story of Charles "Chub" Fuller, a brilliant writer with a wretched family past. As he moves from university in Ohio to NYC, he captures his life in several daring, ingenious stories that secure him a future in New York's grueling publishing world. However, in his struggles to ignore his own terrible past, he mires himself in a comfortable stasis, and finds himself unable to do what he once did best - write.

I was entranced by this book from page 1. This is the story of
Jami Ouellette
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out in paperback, and reread again before I gave the book back to my sister. It was awesome! And it still comes to mind often, especially the ending. I remember reading it on my lunch break at work and actually exclaiming out loud over it, making quite a commotion with all of the other readers at lunch when then went out and got their own copies. This one is well-worth the time to track down a copy of this book.
Jaime
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit: I may have been expecting something a bit closer to The Princess Bride. This is a wildly different type of story. Regardless, I'm not sure whether I recommend it. At times I was ready to chuck it back into the laundry room lending library, whence it came, rather than continue down Chub Fuller's rabbit hole. And then, suddenly, the final pages somehow manage to redeem the entire bloody thing.
Amish
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most unique book I have read till date.
The story is based around a life of a young writer and his best buddy. This is one book you do not want to miss. The book is just mind blowing keeping the reader at his toes till the very last sentence!!!!
Linda Aull
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collegereads
My college roommate's mom's book club (seriously) was reading this book, so somehow it fell to me as well. Luckily, I was blown away by the writing, the story, the characters, everything. If you've ever fallen up stairs, you'll love this story about what can happen after.
RChazzChute
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite novel of all time. The protagonist is a young writer and I read it when I was a young writer.
Dickydavis
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most emotionally devastating books I have ever read; almost unbearably sad, and real.
Gay
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plaingoodread
Excellent memorable book about a writer by the author of "Princess Bride."
Amy
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitely reads like a movie written from a guy's perspective. entertaining though.
Pedxing
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites. I think there ought to be modern fiction classes taught in high school, and I think this book ought to be required reading. Excellent.
Kim
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a really great tale, memorable (can one forget 'the bone?' doubtful)
Laura Hoyler
I should not say I actually read this- I just can't finish it. I rarely abandon books, so this is a bummer for me. I just can't get into it, and I cannot stand Two-Brew. Maybe I can try again another time! It HAS to get better, based on others' reviews!
Lisa Kusel
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything this man writes.
Tim Armstrong
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long time since I read this but my memories are fond, indeed I loved it.
Brilliant finish. Goodman is a great, great writer.
Ray Ziemer
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased to find this novel at a used book sale last year, as it's been years since I last read anything from one of my favorite authors. It's not exactly new, published in 1985, but I hadn't been aware of it. I enjoyed it a lot from the very beginning, possibly for the nostalgia value as much as for its own plot and characters. Colour of Light reminds me so much of the first William Goldman I read -- we're talking one of the first modern novels I had EVER read -- which my buddy Bruce Knopp ...more
Kim Blue
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up for 50 cents at a used book sale. Opened it that afternoon and couldn't put it down. This is a brilliantly insightful story of a gifted young writer "Chub", who is struggling to achieve success as an author while battling with the demons of family addiction, disfunction and mental illness. The story begins with his life at Oberlin University in Ohio and follows him to New York as he strives towards commercial success. The story is punctuated with numerous flashbacks which provide ...more
Kelly Clingman
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew...this was a tough book for me. It wasn't until I was done with this book that I remember the jacket describing this book as a "mystery", I guess. It doesn't quite read like one...and I've read a lot. I liked the characters. I even liked the brilliant prodigy character, Chub, and the despicable people he called friends. I still liked him after the sweet Jesse storyline and after his treatment of the honorable cop, Baylor. His disgusting asshole friend, Kitchel, was so interesting to me. The ...more
Maggie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, adult
Somewhat interesting from a metafictional standpoint ... but that's about it. The years certainly haven't helped, as it feels quite dated on many levels, and this is coming from someone who lived through the 80's. There's not much food for thought here . . . lots of very, very well-worn territory. Painfully obvious plot devices were a problem for me too. I think part of the problem is that this book has no idea what it wants to be, what it is trying to say, or who its intended audience is. The b ...more
Aaron Martz
This book falls apart in its final section, becoming disjointed and rambling (a problem that Goldman's thriller Heat also had), but up until then, it is a colorful, funny and often sad portrait of a writer who never figures out how to live his life. The ending of Part II is so sudden and powerful that it was a disappointment when Goldman all but ignored the pain and sorrow his lead character must have felt afterward. Instead, Goldman seems to start over with a whole new set of characters, and, a ...more
Farhan
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great read by the ever-dependable Goldman. This is the story of a budding writer who loses his muse due to a tragedy in life. Great character sketch of a young man who is always eager to please, haunted by a loveless childhood, and dogged by tragedies. My only quibble is that the protagonist seems to keep running into neurotic people throughout his life. But as I said, that's just a quibble and doesn't detract from the novel's powerful narrative. Goldman is a great storyteller.
Linda
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book meant a great deal to me when I first read it 30 years ago. Today, it did not have such a profound effect on me, but was nonetheless a very good book. Good writing, carefully drawn (if not wholly "likeable ") characters, and a marvelously Hitchkockian ending.
N
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
A metafictional novel about William Goldman, who becomes a professional researcher for stories that resemble his own real books, then decides to write a story about his life in the end. Has some really good moments, but it's mostly just self-indulgent.
Karen
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember specifically when I read this. I just remember reading it and loving it and then reading it again the next year. It seems like that was a long, long time ago, so I entered "1984" and the date. I think it's time to check this one out again.
Lynda
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goldman
The life of a young man who attends college to become a writer and finds inspiration for his stories in his childhood. He is published with the help of a college friend and suffers writers block all the while building his Journal of notes for future stories.
Susan
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my top three ever. Great story, up to the last word. One of those I actually mourn when I was done reading it because I wanted to know what happens next. Husband loved it, too. Love that it was from a guys perspective.
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • The Wild Swans
  • The Stuffed Owl: An Anthology of Bad Verse
  • Kramers Ergot #6
  • The Art of H.P. Lovecraft's the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Daredevil, Vol. 1
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Collected Book, Volume One (TMNT The Collected Books, #1)
  • Lives of the Saints
  • A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
  • Seven Complete Nero Wolfe Novels (The Silent Speaker, Might As Well Be Dead / If Death Ever Slept / Three at Wolfe's Door / Gambit / Please Pass the Guilt/ A Family Affair)
  • 2nd Time Around
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used
More about William Goldman...
“In the kitchen, Chub clung to the wall, made no sound whatsoever, but his mouth opened and closed, opened and closed, as he told himself, kept telling himself, that life was material, everything was material - you just had to live long enough to see how to use it.” 5 likes