Start by marking “A Dissertation on God's Last End in the Creation of the World. by the Late President Edwards, A.M. Revised and Corrected by the REV. C. de Coetlogon” as Want to Read:

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The 18th century was a wealth of knowledge, exploration and rapidly growing technology and expanding record-keeping made possible by advances in the printing press. In its determination to preserve the century of revolution, Gale initiated a revolution of its own: digitization of epic proportions to preserve these invaluable works in the largest archive of its kind. Now fo ...more
Published May 29th 2010 by Gale Ecco, Print Editions (first published 1765)

Be the first to ask a question about A Dissertation on God's Last End in the Creation of the World. by the Late President Edwards, A.M. Revised and Corrected by the REV. C. de Coetlogon

Mike Conroy
Wow. What can I say? This book is filled with Scripture after Scripture after Scripture all showing that the chief end that God created the world for is the display of His own glory. Edwards, at times, is too philosophical and can impose systems of thoughts on the Bible rather than reading systems of thoughts from the Bible.

This book follows that pattern, but it’s right. The first half is all a philosophical look at motives, and ends or goals in people’s pursuits. And then he applies that thinki
benebean
This was a lot more technical than I thought it would be. Honestly, I was sort of lost/bored/indifferent to a lot of the stuff after the beginning (I'm not a scholar). But it became much more meaningful and enjoyable when Edwards actually started listing the reasons God created the world along with numerous scripture references backing up his claims around chapter 2 section 4ish.

So for me the book is sort of like:
beginning: meh
middle: huh?
end: oooo!

I'm giving is 3 stars, but I suspect the ratin
Jeremy Egerer
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starts off with a beautiful treatise about the objects of human action, and ends with a good old-fashioned Scriptural bulldozing about how God created the world for His own glory.

If you've ever wondered how God could create a universe while in a state of absolute self-contentedness, or if you've ever wondered exactly what it *means* to glorify God -- or what good He gets out of it at all, being God -- then this book is a must-read.
Richard Roodt
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Dollar has done an excellent job updating this classic from Jonathan Edwards into modern English. This modern English version does not detract from the original version's power in communicating the wonder of God's majesty, and the extravagant nature of His Love for Himself and His creatures (man).
Saint Luke
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This exemplary writing is a scholarly literary example,but i can get that from any of the writing of bokks that is without end.It is the subject matter that earns a lowly star,for lack of unity,lack of intimacy,with God.He (the Lord God Jehova) could obtain self glory thru any number of means,but among them were not so much "His People, moral agents, vessels of mercy,or even carbon units," but moreso, His Children!! His blessed,little children.Funny,for all these lofty cold or atbest,lukewarm wr ...more
Zachariah
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Zachariah by: John Piper
(I read this in a complete works of Edwards series in my university library, so not this exact edition. Mine had tons of foot notes =] )
The first half of the work is going over the logic by which he proposes the Supreme Being would work (obviously the Christian God, but not necessarily so, at this point it is general). The second half brings in scripture, and Edwards goes through how scripture fits into his outline painted in the first section to display God's plan for the world. He wraps it up
Lincoln Forlong
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with anything Jonathan Edwards wrote, he masterfully uncovers the wonders of God's glory and the deceitfulness of man's heart in avoiding giving our creator the glory He is due.
This is a serious read which challenges the reader on every page to examine our priority of values. Even though this book has been rewritten in modern english, it requires thought all the way in order to receive the benefits of Edwards methodical logic.
Noel Burke
In summary, why did God make the world? For His glory. This world and all in it, though we may delight in many things is ultimately not for us. It is for the glory of God. After all, what is the chief end of man as the Westminster confession boasts? It is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. A deep book and probably not a good one to listen to on audio-book. This one is for reading and going slowly.
Michael Heitland
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really well written. The first few chapters seemed to be repetitive to some degree though as I finished I realized how important it was that Edwards framed up and classified terms so clearly. An excellent book, one I will likely be revisiting again and referencing in future curriculum.
Tom
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautifully written book, reminding us that God's glory is the highest good. While it could have been a bit more "devotional", this was still a soul-stirring reminder that we should strive to glorify God in all we do.
Steve
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not this edition. This is solid Edwardsean stuff. I wonder if the answer to the objection if selfishness in God seeking His own glory may not be supplemented with the unfolding of intraTrinitarian relations? Ie mutual glorification and submission and love?
Lindsay Kennedy
This work is so God-centered and it's contagious. This is the theology the church today needs! It's not an easy work to read, but it's contents are for all. I want to always be dwelling on the message of this book, so as to keep my life in the correct perspective.
Josh Shelton
Greatest book I've ever read, hands down, no questions. (Outside the bible)
Brian
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
4th reading; also read 8/19/98 and the two times I read Piper's God's Passion for His Glory
Jeff Boettcher
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edwards can be difficult to wade through, but this is a seminal work on understanding God's purpose for himself and for us.
James McAdams
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful and helpful books that I have ever read. Stunning. Hard work, though!
James
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dense and life changing. This puts a significant amount of theological and philosophical weight behind living for God's glory and our own happiness in him, all in the same chief end.
Dale Kennedy
this is supposed to be an updated, easier to follow book, but Jonathan Edwards is over my head. I just can't hang with him.
Jenkins
man, the grasp on God's holiness and glory is articulated so amazingly. this book helped me glimpse into the vastness and bigness of God.
Joe Merydith
Micah
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Glory of Christ
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture
  • On God and Christ, The Five Theological Orations and Two Letters to Cledonius: St. Gregory of Nazianzus
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 2: God and Creation
  • Centuries Of Meditations
  • Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament: A Decision-Maker's Guide to Shaping Your Church
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • God's Lesser Glory: The Diminished God of Open Theism
  • Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative
  • The Presence of the Future: The Eschatology of Biblical Realism
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • God's Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments
  • Heaven Misplaced
  • Faith and Rationality: Reason and Belief in God
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...

“The Creator is infinite. This means he has all possible existence, perfection, and excellence. This means he must also have all possible honor and respect. In every way God is first and supreme. His excellent qualities are the supreme beauty and glory, the original good, and the fountain of all good. This, of course, means that he must in every way have the highest regard and honor.” 1 likes
“Christians need constant reminders of how amazingly glorious our great God really is and what his glory means for our lives. Reading” 0 likes