Start by marking “Seven Steps on the Writer's Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment” as Want to Read:
Seven Steps on the Writer's Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment

Seven Steps on the Writer's Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment

The blank page, the impossible deadline, the rush of inspiration: There is no profession more maddening or more rewarding than being a writer. Yet surprisingly, all writers pass through the same sequence of stages in the course of their careers. It was this remarkable insight that inspired veteran authors Nancy Pickard and Lynn Lott to write one of the wisest and liveliest ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Steps on the Writer's Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Steps on the Writer's Path

Start your review of Seven Steps on the Writer's Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment
Emma Sea
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I did get some good information and strategies from this book, and I can appreciate it might work well for others, there was too much mysticism for me, plus what I consider to be unconscionably reckless mental health advice.

What worked:

I wanted some strategies for dealing with a bloody annoying project that has been the bane of my life for over a year now, and I want it finished and gone, and yet I am stuck fast. The book did help with this. I identified that I’m wavering because the other person I’m doing the project with
Alice Osborn
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, readers
Recommended to Alice by: Molly Weston
You know you're going to get inspired with any book having lucky number "seven" in the title (seven days of the week, seven wonders of the world and even seven deadly sins!). An inspiring and candid read, "Seven Steps On the Writer's Path: The Journey from Frustration to Fulfillment" by Nancy Pickard and Lynn Lott delivers wisdom, tips and support for writers at all levels and at all experiences. This book is detailed, funny and unconventional. Right away Pickard and Lott let us know that, "Writ ...more
Tessa
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writers-helpers
I've read many, many how-to writing books - the good, the bad and the ugly - and this is one of my favourites.

Let me explain why. These two ladies do not, in fact, tell you what to do. There's no list of master plots or characters, no scene cards/character forms to fill in. In fact, they say it best with the quote they put at the start of their book:

"Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other." Mary Caroline Richards

Giedra
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for writers and writer-wanna-be's and well, anyone who has ever wanted to do any kind of creative endeavor whatsoever. The title is a bit misleading, I think: "7 steps" kind of implies that the authors are going to give you instructions to follow for writing your masterpiece, and while they do give pointers on how to cope with each step, the steps themselves are more about the emotional roller coaster ride that typify the creative process. The first 3, for example, are unhappiness, wa ...more
Dana
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Books on the craft of writing are a tricky bunch. I've found that I either think they are amazing and want to live by them, or that they're sort of useless. For once a writing book fell inbetween.

Seven Steps on the Writer's Path describes the journey that each writer (supposedly) takes from Unhappiness to Fulfillment. When I first started this book, and just glanced through the steps, I thought that I would be somewhere in Wavering or possibly Letting Go. As I read however, each step felt like exac
Sonya Feher
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
At almost every step, I recognized myself. Oh, so this is where I am with my writing. Oh no, I guess I'm on this step. Really, the book is written so generally that I think anyone could recognize themselves at any point on the path. The sidebar format was annoying though I'm pulling some of the quotes out to refer back to. If you are needing to find a way back to writing, this might just help confirm you're on a path, but it's certainly not one of my favorite writing books and I'd recommend many ...more
Ferree
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring writers.
Ok, I'm only halfway through, but this book is great for me. See my blog, August 2008. The authors not only map a writer's path, but give plenty of examples of other writers, how many rejections they received, the ridiculous number of years it took, all the head-banging frustration along the way. . . and that gives me hope!
Jane Healy
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motivation, writing
This book came to me at just the right time. Why am I not writing, and what can I do about it? This book showed me what step I'm on, helped me figure out why, and gave tips for moving on. The seven steps describe the cycle of the creative process, whatever your creative outlet is.
Sundry
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: writingbooks
Took me a long time to work through it because the early chapters really made me think about how stuck I felt in my writing all during 2011. I would read a chapter, put it down, come back to it. But I think that's how this book may work for people.

Jenny
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: discards
So far this book has convinced me that I will never be a writer. I won't ever get past Stage 1, which is despair that the ideas aren't coming together. I'm approaching my short stories way too systematically.
Merceda
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Incredible book about writing, and the woes that we all encompass as we attempt to write, when we write, and after we write. Great book! I've ordered it from Amazon to keep it on my shelves to pick up when I'm having an "Oh, woe is me!" moment.
Ryan Henry
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book filled with insight to benefit writers, whether established or beginning. And it applies to any creative endeavor. I feel that it could be beneficial to artists of all media. That's a rare accomplishment.
Charlene
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read. I re-read this book often, because it goes through the common stages of any creative project and what to do if you get hung up at any point along the way. Valuable reference for the working writer.
Judy
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful; unique blending of steps on the writer's journey with steps of the actual journey of John Wesley Powell, the first white person to travel the Colorado River, back in the 1800s.
Maria Lima
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for all writers, no matter where you are in your career!
Gaye Nelson
Aug 21, 2014
Kristina McBride
Jul 21, 2011
Austin
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2008
Mar 25, 2018
Paige
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Nancy Pickard is an American crime novelist. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.

She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. Her novel The Virgin of Small Plains, published in 2007, won an Agatha Award. She also served