Start by marking “Where the Red Fern Grows and Related Readings” as Want to Read:
Where the Red Fern Grows and Related Readings

Old dog / William Stafford --
Grip / Brendan Kennelly --
Friends of the hunted Ryland Loos --
Why they quit: thoughts from ex-hunters / Dena Jones Jolma --
Two dreamers / Gary Soto.
Paperback, Literature Connections, 328 pages
Published 1997 by McDougal-Littell

To ask other readers questions about Where the Red Fern Grows and Related Readings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Red Fern Grows and Related Readings

Israel Enriquez
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I pick up this book from a public library and the librarians told me that the book was interesting and awesome and I read 2 chapter and I thought it was a boring book but then I realize that it was really cool and I did finish.
This is a story of a boy called billy and he doesn't go to school and he was inspired to go hunt by his father and other family and about a boy who buys and trains two Red-bone Coonhound hunting dogs. the
Ori Fienberg
Mar 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a boy. I was also a big fan of Summer of the Monkeys, but this one broke my heart each time I read it. And of course I never had a dog, but someday I'd like to have a hound dog. And also maybe a son. I'm less sure about living in the Ozarks, but I haven't ruled it out yet.
Imani
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
so sad :(((((
Nick
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BLSstudents Kondritz
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You would like this book if you liked dogs/sad books.
Jenny Rae
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-books-2017
Ending was good; the rest of the book was basically about these two coon dogs killing raccoons and their country bumpkin owner. Oh and btw I hate hunting so that definitely helped me like the book (that was sarcasm)
3/5 stars; just not for me
Read for school
Rigo
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it
"this is about a youg boy that does not go to school. so he got enspirered by hering his dads friends talk about there hunting days.and all the fun they had hunting with there dogs.so he tells his dad that he wants to hunt and he wants two blood hounds.but his dad says it is to much, so he goes look for some cheap dogs on a add. then he finds two for $50. so he begins to work for his mony".

"I recomend this book to everone.it is a okay book it is eazy yo read. it is a nice book to read so far it
Nina Dawson
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a touching story about a boy with to dogs and the adventure of a racoon hunter. This story has happy and sad moments that will make you cry. I read this book in the 7th grade Engligh class. It is a great story for young kids, and also parents with kids. It shows the bond between kids and there pets.
Miss
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
A truly heart warming but sorrowful tale of a boy and his dogs. I had to get this book when I saw Where the Red Fern Grows, I always loved this story and hope to pass it on, since I first read it in fourth grade.
Cid
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cid by: Ben
Read this with my 12 year old son for our Parent Child Book Club. It was one of his favourite books from school last year. It is a lovely story about a boys and his dogs, a bit of a surprise choice for my son
since he usually goes for the fantasy and gore books.
Anthony
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a heart warming story that is about a boy with to dogs and the adventure of a racoon hunter. This story has happy and sad moments that will make you cry which I'm prety sure you will. It isa great story.
nadia
Mar 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
i was around 10 when i read this for school, and was sobbing so hard at the end that in order to finish it my mother had to read the last pages to me aloud, then she started sobbing. clearly we're wusses.
Kathy
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
The dog genre is a little too boyish for me, but this was probably my favorite.
May 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Sarah by: I HAVE to read it for school
I didn't read all of the related readings, but a lot of them I did not want to read.
Doris
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
the relationship between the dog and the boy reminds me of me and my dog but i think i would die if my dog died on me! -tear- =(
Adam
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Class Work
Kya
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Good
Chelsea DeBarge
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a sad sad book. You really learn a lot about the culture in which this book takes place. I cried reading this book and watching the movie. ...more
Natasha
Sep 24, 2017
Jessica
Apr 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wilson Rawls was born on September 24, 1913, in the Ozark country of Scraper, Oklahoma. His mother home-schooled her children, and after Rawls read Jack London's canine-centered tale Call of the Wild, he decided to become a writer.

But the Great Depression hit the United States in 1929, and Rawls left home to find work. His family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1935, and he came home each fal
More about Wilson Rawls...