Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)

Something Wicked (Death on Demand #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  979 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Arsenic and Old Lace" may be everybody's favorite play, but someone on Broward Rock has spotted its murderous potential. When the corpses on stage in the local amateur production become real ones, bookshop owner Annie Laurance must move fast to save her fiance, Max, from a murder charge.
Mass Market Paperback, 226 pages
Published May 1st 1988 by Bantam

Kathy Davie
Third in the Death on Demand mystery series set in a bookstore specializing in mysteries and run by Annie Laurence.

It won an Agatha and an Anthony.

My Take
There is a very Agatha Christie feel to this mystery so it's understandable that it won an Agatha award. I have to confess that Annie was very annoying in this story. She takes everything so seriously. Part of me wanted to either smack Annie and tell her to lighten up while another part wanted Annie to smack Max for his being so very amused by...more
Kwoomac
Yuck. Convoluted mystery (with lots of references to better mysteries). I hate this series, yet picked yet another of them up in search of a quick read. Murder takes place during rehearsal for amateur production of "Arsenic and Old Lace". Lots of references to this as well. Better to stick to reading the stories she mentioned. Please don't let me read another one of these books.
Katherine Clark
Read for monograph. In 1988, the Malice Domestic Awards were created. The Agatha is given to the best novel and best first novel (as well as a few other designations.) The first Agatha given for a best novel was to Hart's Something Wicked, part of the Death on Demand series.

My favorite aspects of this series: the setting is an island off of South Carolina. Hart does a great job with description, enough so that I would love to see and possibly live on such an island, and I really have no interest...more
Connie
SOMETHING WICKED by Carolyn G Hart is 226 pages in paperback form. This is #3 in Death On Demand Series featuring Annie Laurance.

Brief Description:

A DEADLY THEATRICAL WHODUNIT COMES TO LIFE

Everyone--including mystery, bookstore owner Annie Laurance--loves
Arsenic and Old Lace. But something wicked is poisoning a local summer
stock production as cast members stab each other in the back and props are sabotaged. Worst of all, the star, aging Hollywood beach-blanket hunk Shane Petree, butchers his lin...more
Judy Goodnight
#3 of the Death on Demand series

This is my year to catch up on this series although it looks like I'll be continuing into 2014. I really like the mystery bookstore milieu, the island setting, the five pictures mystery puzzle in each novel, and, most of all, Annie & Max, the main characters.

What I could use a little less of is the over-the-top secondary characters such as Henny Brawley, Annie's best customer who likes to assist in the investigations by taking on the persona of various fiction...more
Ruth
Well, at least Annie wasn't suspected for long in this one... this time it was poor ole Max. Sigh. Isn't there another way to get plot tension besides putting your leading characters in jeopardy?

Community theater + Arsenic and Old Lace + a money-hungry-developer + a lazy, washed-up, surfer/Hollywood-Star + alley-cat wives + bitchy teens + election-mongering prosecutors + wedding plans + Annie and Max = general fun.

What I like about this series is that it's a nice romp with literary underpinning...more
Jessi
It's up to Annie and Max to figure out why the summer stock version of "Arsenic and Old Lace" is having so many problems. Things have been moved around, there was a dead cat in the window seat, and now one of their castmates is dead. Granted, the aging surf-picture-star was causing a LOT of problems, not knowing his lines, messing around with both a mother and her daughter, just generally being a putz. Which means that there are more than a few suspects. Including Max. It seems the county prosec...more
Sue
Oct 23, 2011 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
"Something Wicked"(Death on Demand #3)by Carolyn Hart.

Annie and Max join the local summer theatre group and attempt to put on Arsenic and Old Lace. When one of the main players is found murdered, Annie and Max must solve the crime. The inclusion of the pompous Circuit Court Solicitor into the mix is so humorous. Of course, he thinks Max is to blame. I found this book...more
Vanessa
Hart is beginning to build on her first two books to give the reoccurring characters more depth. The introduction of Max's mother and the upcoming wedding between the fabulously wealthy Max and hard-working Annie are hilarious!

Annie and Max join the local summer theatre group and attempt to put on Arsenic and Old Lace. When one of the main players is found murdered (whom everyone has a motive to kill), Annie and Max must solve the crime. The inclusion of the pompous Circuit Court Solicitor into...more
Karen
Further adventures of my favorite bookstore owner! I first read it years and years ago -- decided to re-read the series from the beginning (and, someday, maybe even catch up to where I left off!). It's been just long enough since I read it the first time that I didn't remember the story completely. Definitely worth the re-read!
Jen
Annie runs a bookstore called Death On Demand. In this book she's part of a theater group who is rehersing for Arsenic and Old Lace, when (cue creepy music)someone is murdered. So who did it, and why? To find out, read on.

The book kept my interest but it didn't evoke much emotion. I kept confusing the characters, probably because I wasn't that invested. It's a good book for multi-tasking; light, not too emotional, something you can put on for back ground noise and enjoy without paying too close...more
Martha
This is the 3rd Death on Demand Book and, while very good as most of Ms. Hart's series are, I found the characters annoying and verging on cliche'. I don't know which ones bothered me more - Annie, Henny, Laurel, or Max. I also get tired of the one-dimensional, stereotyped Southern law enforcers... the myopic refusal to consider other points of view strikes me as implausible. Despite this - I do enjoy the series and have started another on. (Thank you, public library!!)
Debra
This is the third book in the "Death on Demand" series. In this one, Annie has to solve the mystery of the death of a cast mate in the local production of Arsenic and Old Lace. To save her beloved fiancé max from jail, Annie must take chances in order to bring the real murderer to justice.
Alex
Simply awful. But then I don't like the theater, so maybe that explains it. On the other hand, didn't care for the first in the series either. There are still a couple of her books on the shelf downstairs. They are likely to stay there for the duration.
Carol  MacInnis
As things heat up on a local summer stock production, things are looking very bad for Annie's fiance, Max. Max is being accused of murder by a pompous prosecutor and things are looking bad for Annie and Max's wedding. A great 'whodunit' read.
Chris
Not as good as the first 2, I don't know why, maybe I read it at the wrong time? In any event, I will go on with the series because, being a bookoholic and the protagonist being a mystery bookstore owner...it just seems right...lol
Fmorlan
Annie Laurence runs death on demand bookstore. But she gets involved in other activitues. There is summer theater but a murder occurs. Very clever on Carolyn Hart's part to have several options. Surprse murderer. loved it
Christi
a decent 'cozy' mystery but nothing special
this series gimmick is based on a theatrical group
the sleuth/heroine was a bit annoying and I found myself hoping the killer would target her next
Babs
Another good book in the series. I am kind of tired though of one of the main characters always being suspected of murder. But I will stick with the series and see where it goes.
Shirley
Hadn't read this author before and just ok. Too much going over and over details, though all the references to mystery authors were interesting.
Janice
This one was a little slow getting started for me, but I will probably continue to read this series as time permits; it is okay.
Terri
Sep 01, 2009 Terri added it
Too many characters to keep up with - no thrilled with this book in the series. I enjoyed the first two, however.
Something Wicked (Death on Demand Mysteries, No. 3) by Carolyn G. Hart (1988)
Cathy
It is nice getting back to my genre. Bring on more murders to solve.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Sharon Goss
Easy read. Sometimes funny. Read series in order.
Denise Crosby
it was a good mystery
Jenny
Another great mystery
Clarissa
Too predictable...
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
Also writes as Carolyn Hart

Author of bestseller Death on Demand series featuring sassy bookstore detective Annie Darling who with her husband Max and occasionally her wacky mother-in-law solves murder in and around her sleepy South Carolina town. First debuted in 1987, the series has spanned 22 books as of 2012.

Hart was born and still resides in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
More about Carolyn G. Hart...
Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1) Design for Murder (Death on Demand, #2) A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5) The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7) Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)