Start by marking “The River Wife” as Want to Read:
The River Wife

The River Wife

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This is the story of a river and the making of water and the nature of love. Some would say that any story of water is always a story of magic, and others would say any story of love was the same …’

The River Wife is a simple and subtle story of love. The river wife—part human, part fish—has a duty to tend the river, but instead falls in love with a man. The age-old rhythms
Published 2009 by allen&unwin

Babette
Sep 16, 2012 Babette rated it it was amazing
Definitely a 5 out of 5. A combination of Magic Realism and new fairytale. This is a naive read with deep insight. It asks the reader to be other than a rational adult but to step out in a world between dream and reality. It maps a path of life, the ebb and flow of season and daily events, and the need to know who we are and where we come from.
Larissa
Oct 05, 2009 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A young girl grows up in the forest, all alone but for her father, who is always at her side. When she was quite young her mother left her, why she did not know. As a woman her husband leaves her, again she can not say why. The only thing she is sure of is the river and her duty to it. For she is not of our world, she is a river wife.

By day she walks the earth as a woman, weaving the stories of the river, by night she sheds her human skin for scales, swimming the rivers with only the moon for co
Philippa
Jun 05, 2010 Philippa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Alex
The river wife is a woman by day and a fish by night. She has a duty to tend the river. When she falls in love a man named Wilson James, the balance of nature is upset and she must do what she can to save the one she loves.

The title, cover and blurb lured me in with promises of gentle magic. But then I read the first sentence...

“As the sun crests the dark line of the land, I wake and step from the river, and that in itself is what is called magic.”

...and had to put the book down. It was a bit to
Poppy Gee
Mar 09, 2014 Poppy Gee rated it it was amazing
This story reads like poetry and is a really beautiful tale. It reminds me a bit of Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child, which similarly blends the magical with realism, and also Mr Wigg, by Inga Simpson. I admire the braveness of the writing in all three of these: it's a tricky thing to successfully suspend the reader's imagination when a novel is not grounded in conventional literary ideas.
Lynley
Apr 04, 2015 Lynley rated it it was amazing
A spell-binding story, wonderfully crafted. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, being an unusual and original mythical story but I found it beautiful & entrancing. The descriptions are so evocative of Tasmania's Lake St Claire area with a dash of added extra magic.
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it really liked it
Depressing, dark, hard hard life! But it was one of those books that you just had to finish. Hard but grateful for life.
Ileana
Aug 04, 2015 Ileana rated it liked it
I found this book by chance in the library and I loved its design and summary, but it was not simple to read because it is very poetical and mystical for me.
Cath Ralston
May 10, 2014 Cath Ralston rated it it was amazing
Simply the most beautiful book I have ever read.
tree
Mar 26, 2010 tree rated it liked it
i'd like to give this an extra half star -- somewhere between 'i liked it' and 'i really liked it'. stronger in the second half than in the first, beautifully sad at the end, it still strayed sometimes into twee, lists that went on a little too long; it felt somehow like something unfinished. i found the illustration intrusive, coming as it did, seemingly at random. i want to like it more than i do; i like it less than i feel i ought.
Tash
Jun 11, 2012 Tash rated it liked it
I bought this book while in Tasmania for a school camp, found it in a small book store in the middle of nowhere and somehow feel in love with it straight away, but... it wasn’t as good as what i hoped for or expected. It wasn’t something that made me turn pages, but still was overall interesting to read :)
Michele Harrod
Oct 18, 2009 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it
This is a mystical but beautifully written novel about love, life, and nature. At first I thought it was rather strange, but then I found myself wrapped up in the exquisitely lyrical language, and was then quite absorbed. Gorgeous.
Angela Long (Carter)
Beautifully crafted. Although a little confusing in the first few pages, the novel flows like the river it embraces. The imagery and language are both soft and reminiscent of a time long gone. A wonderful fable for adults.
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Goosie
Goosie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Tara
Tara added it
Mar 10, 2016
Maciej
Maciej marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Jo Cornish
Jo Cornish marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Lena
Lena rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Nathália
Nathália marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Becky
Becky added it
Oct 08, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Isabel
Isabel rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Snapaz
Snapaz rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Erin Codey Rumsey
Erin Codey Rumsey marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Xandyc
Xandyc rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Heather was first published at 16 in the Hobart Mercury when she won the Junior Division of the Tasmanian Short Story competition. At 17 she had a regular sailing column.

After leaving Tasmania at 19, Heather spent two years living and working in Asia and Europe before returning to Australia and settling in Melbourne where she slipped into the world of advertising as a copywriter creating major nat
More about Heather Rose...