Start by marking “The River Wife” as Want to Read:
The River Wife

The River Wife

This is the story of a river and the making of water and the nature of love. Some would say that any story of water is always a story of magic, and others would say any story of love was the same …’

The River Wife is a simple and subtle story of love. The river wife—part human, part fish—has a duty to tend the river, but instead falls in love with a man. The age-old rhythms
Published 2009 by allen&unwin

Sep 16, 2012 Babette rated it it was amazing
Definitely a 5 out of 5. A combination of Magic Realism and new fairytale. This is a naive read with deep insight. It asks the reader to be other than a rational adult but to step out in a world between dream and reality. It maps a path of life, the ebb and flow of season and daily events, and the need to know who we are and where we come from.
Oct 05, 2009 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A young girl grows up in the forest, all alone but for her father, who is always at her side. When she was quite young her mother left her, why she did not know. As a woman her husband leaves her, again she can not say why. The only thing she is sure of is the river and her duty to it. For she is not of our world, she is a river wife.

By day she walks the earth as a woman, weaving the stories of the river, by night she sheds her human skin for scales, swimming the rivers with only the moon for co
Jun 05, 2010 Philippa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Yvette Adams
Oct 10, 2016 Yvette Adams rated it it was ok
I bought this second hand because I loved the bright cover, knowing nothing about the book. Then I realised the author was Tasmanian and I was about to travel to Tassie for a long weekend, so took it with me. This book is very poetic, but that's really not my thing. I'm certain some people would really love it, and it's very well written. I know it's purely personal taste, and the author certainly has talent. It's just not my style. I was thankful that it was a very short book and only took abou ...more
The river wife is a woman by day and a fish by night. She has a duty to tend the river. When she falls in love a man named Wilson James, the balance of nature is upset and she must do what she can to save the one she loves.

The title, cover and blurb lured me in with promises of gentle magic. But then I read the first sentence...

“As the sun crests the dark line of the land, I wake and step from the river, and that in itself is what is called magic.”

...and had to put the book down. It was a bit to
Poppy Gee
Mar 09, 2014 Poppy Gee rated it it was amazing
This story reads like poetry and is a really beautiful tale. It reminds me a bit of Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child, which similarly blends the magical with realism, and also Mr Wigg, by Inga Simpson. I admire the braveness of the writing in all three of these: it's a tricky thing to successfully suspend the reader's imagination when a novel is not grounded in conventional literary ideas.
Apr 04, 2015 Lynley rated it it was amazing
A spell-binding story, wonderfully crafted. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, being an unusual and original mythical story but I found it beautiful & entrancing. The descriptions are so evocative of Tasmania's Lake St Claire area with a dash of added extra magic.
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it really liked it
Depressing, dark, hard hard life! But it was one of those books that you just had to finish. Hard but grateful for life.
Aug 04, 2015 Ileana rated it liked it
I found this book by chance in the library and I loved its design and summary, but it was not simple to read because it is very poetical and mystical for me.
Cath Ralston
May 10, 2014 Cath Ralston rated it it was amazing
Simply the most beautiful book I have ever read.
Mar 26, 2010 tree rated it liked it
i'd like to give this an extra half star -- somewhere between 'i liked it' and 'i really liked it'. stronger in the second half than in the first, beautifully sad at the end, it still strayed sometimes into twee, lists that went on a little too long; it felt somehow like something unfinished. i found the illustration intrusive, coming as it did, seemingly at random. i want to like it more than i do; i like it less than i feel i ought.
Jun 11, 2012 Tash rated it liked it
I bought this book while in Tasmania for a school camp, found it in a small book store in the middle of nowhere and somehow feel in love with it straight away, but... it wasn’t as good as what i hoped for or expected. It wasn’t something that made me turn pages, but still was overall interesting to read :)
Julie Holmes
Oct 04, 2016 Julie Holmes rated it it was amazing
Michele Harrod
Oct 18, 2009 Michele Harrod rated it really liked it
This is a mystical but beautifully written novel about love, life, and nature. At first I thought it was rather strange, but then I found myself wrapped up in the exquisitely lyrical language, and was then quite absorbed. Gorgeous.
Angela Long (Carter)
Beautifully crafted. Although a little confusing in the first few pages, the novel flows like the river it embraces. The imagery and language are both soft and reminiscent of a time long gone. A wonderful fable for adults.
Courtney rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Miss rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Kelsey Cooper
Kelsey Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Lisa Marshall
Lisa Marshall marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ben Rodgers
Ben Rodgers rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Theresa rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Goosie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Tara added it
Mar 10, 2016
Maciej marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Jo Cornish
Jo Cornish marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Heather Rose is the author of five novels with a further two due for publication in 2016. Heather writes for both adults and children. Her adult novels include The River Wife & The Butterfly Man.

Heather writes the acclaimed Tuesday McGillycuddy series for children under the pen name Angelica Banks with award-winning author Danielle Wood.

Heather’s first novel White Heart was published in 1999.
More about Heather Rose...