Start by marking “The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)

The Fetch (The Runestone Saga #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
FETCH: The apparition, double, or wraith of a living person.

In the attic, in an old sea chest, secreted away, are a mysterious journal and a set of runes: 24 stones that will change Sky's life forever.

When Sky and his cousin Kristin find their Norwegian grandfather's runes, Sky feels like the wait is over, like he can now release the breath he wasn't even aware he'd been h
Published July 11th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Fetch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fetch

Regina
Apr 30, 2010 Regina rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I never finished this book...
I was probably two or three chapters from the end when it was due back to the library and I just didn't care enough about it to renew or plow through the last few pages.
I guess I was just uninterested in the characters and their lives. It is apparently part of a series and I realized I wasn't going to get the questions I wanted answered until the next book or maybe the one after that. They weren't exactly keeping me up at night so I have no desire to read more of thi
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tale of magic, horror and bloodshed. Fetch is a fantasic piece of teenage fiction and is brilliant for girls and boys who like history, like a thrill and most importantly can handle a death or two, or maybe three hehehehe. The chapters and short, sweet and full of drama, action, tension and mystery so there is no way you can stop reading until you finish it really. The plot was incredibly well thought out, the characters are not at all stereotypical, each unique and independent as teen ...more
Neill Smith
Aug 01, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Inside his grandfather's old sea chest, Sky discovers some runestones and a journal. When his cousin, Kristin arrives, they explore the journal and the runestones combined with a ouija board and find themselves drawn into the lives of their Norse ancestors and time travel to fight a blood feud that is centuries old.
Oct 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
It's so dark and unlike any book I've ever read. It keeps you on your toes with lots of unknown corners that light gets thrown to a little later in the book. Sky is a very typical boy, and you kinda feel that he too is getting caught up in the book as you, the reader, are also getting whirled into this world of the Norse.
Sara
Mar 23, 2010 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-so-good
Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I followed my 50 page rule and it was difficult. I didn't connect with the main character and though it was interesting reading about runes, which are my hobby, I didn't get a good feel from the book about what it was all about.
Zack S
May 27, 2015 Zack S rated it really liked it
The book itself was a great book, and I have found myself reading it over more than once for the simple fact that the plot was very easy to enjoy. The characters are relateable, the topic is interesting, the idea of runestones acting as magical gateways to the past is utterly fascinating. I have read the series over many times, and recommended it to many of my peers. While the writing is a tad bit immature at the start, I notice that the writing style matured as the main character did, and I bel ...more
Caitlinleah
Nov 07, 2010 Caitlinleah rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-o-week
will not be reading any more of these.
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ο C.C. Humphreys είναι ένα από τα πιο γνωστά πρόσωπα στο αγγλικό θέατρο. Όχι μόνο έχει γράψει ο ίδιος πληθώρα θεατρικών έργων αλλά, έχει στο βιογραφικό του ουκ ολίγες συμμετοχές ως ηθοποιός και μάλιστα, σε ιδιαίτερους και δύσκολους ρόλους. Η Νορβηγική του καταγωγή από τη μεριά της μητέρας του και οι προσωπικές του εμπειρίες, οι οποίες σε έναν βαθμό συσχετίζονται με τους αρχαίους θρύλους της Σκανδιναβίας που ξεκίνησαν από την εποχή των Βίκινγκς, τον οδήγησαν στο να συγγράψει το "Έπος Των Ρουνικών ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Spreeha for TeensReadToo.com

A young boy named Sky is just a normal fifteen-year-old except for the fact that he moves around England a lot and can't stay with his old friends. Where he's at now it's hard for him to make friends, because, well, he's the new kid in school.

Since moving to his new home Sky has been having weird problems with sleeping at night. He finds himself on the floor when he wakes up in the morning and his parents think that he's sleepwalking. But when they take h
Panagiotis
Jul 20, 2014 Panagiotis rated it liked it
Πολύ καλό για εφηβικό ανάγνωσμα, στην εποχή μου δεν υπήρχαν τέτοια για αυτό έπεσα κατευθείαν στα βαθιά στο κόσμο του fantasy, θα γινόταν ωραία ταινία
Roseshadowpheonix
Mar 29, 2014 Roseshadowpheonix rated it it was ok
I tried reading it but lost interest right away. I read about 40 pages until I just dropped it. It seems like a good plot though but I didn't connect with the character.
Bening Pertiwi
Nov 07, 2014 Bening Pertiwi rated it liked it
petualangannya seru
dan tidak terduga
Kaitlyn
Nov 02, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it it was ok
I never wanted to finish this book. It was that bad. That's coming from someone who finishes series of books even though she doesn't really like it. It was that bad. There seemed to be no hook on it. The chapters had no mystery at the end so you don't want to read on and the main plot is revealed on page 62 and goes into more depth on it about 10 or 15 pages later. I really didn't care for this book.
Cypress Ruby
yang bilang buku ini bagus, sini gue colok matanya pake elder wand nya harry potter. BIASA aja. merujuk to BORING. tapi mungkin karena ini buku pertama, belum ada gregetnya. Caranya melukiskan tindakan atau perasaan si peran utama tidak memuaskan saya dan kadang malah bingung. Atau itu karena terjemahannya yang... euleh-euleh? So dua bintang saja cukup. Namun saya akan tetap membaca lanjutannya.
Cherish
Apr 13, 2013 Cherish rated it really liked it
Apparently Norse culture is something I am infatuated with at the moment as I am watching "Vikings" on The History Channel and have read Raven Boys (about teens trying to find Valhalla) and now this series. I thoroughly enjoyed the runes and historical points in this book as I happen to own an old hardback book on runes, myself.
Indah Threez Lestari
128 - 2014
Laurel
Sep 23, 2010 Laurel rated it really liked it
Heaven's above! I loved this book! Chris Humphreys you give me hope! This man writes in the same style that I do and it is great to know that these kinds of books get published and enjoyed by millions! It had an intriguing and well-researched plot, engaging characters, and was seriously creepy. Who could ask for more?
Jackie
May 01, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Read this in less than a day and loved every minute of it. I would have loved it even more if I'd read it in my teens when I was obsessed by runes, Vikings, shape-shifting, magic and death.

Did I tell you it has Vikings in it? What more could you want?
Kaze
Sep 21, 2010 Kaze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nordic
Entrancing and entertaining. This book was informative, and explained parts such as the runes clearly enough that people just learning about them could follow along with out any problems. Truly worth the read.
Anne
Jun 04, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good at the beginning, but then it got a bit too weird to be really great at the end. Worth a read, but maybe not on the "Top Five Books Ever Written" list.
Michael Ostendorp
May 05, 2011 Michael Ostendorp rated it liked it
Great concepts and good plot twists, despite some clunky prose and the usual YA tropes. I hope the characters flesh out more in the second book.
Sareh
Feb 20, 2012 Sareh rated it really liked it
It was kinda creepy but really interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. But the whole idea of a "fetch" is really cool.
Shannara
May 18, 2010 Shannara rated it it was amazing
This book taught me so much of the Viking livelyhood. It was fascinating, twisting and a very good read.
Anne Freya
Mar 05, 2015 Anne Freya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Not bad. Di ending buku rada kaget juga saat kebenaran terungkap secara perlahan-lahan...
Jami
May 17, 2009 Jami rated it liked it
Great! A bit of a dark twist on the Rune (to my interpratation.) But still worth the read.
Livilovesbooks
Apr 09, 2011 Livilovesbooks rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful! Just the right amount of action, suspense, and darkness.
Zen
Jun 08, 2010 Zen rated it did not like it
The main character was boring and the plot dragged.
Sara
Sep 16, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-books
Nordic themed fantasy.
Savita
Jul 16, 2010 Savita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic
Loved this!
  • The Apple Throne (The United States of Asgard, #3)
  • Pawn's Dream
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • The Eye of Midnight
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • The Lighthouse War (Lighthouse Trilogy, #2)
  • A Mosque in Munich: Nazis, the CIA, and the Rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the West
  • Золотые костры (Страж, #3)
  • The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones, #3)
  • Foresworn (Sisters of Fate, #3)
  • So This is How it Ends (Avatars, #1)
  • East of the Sun: The Epic Conquest and Tragic History of Siberia
  • Norse Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Nordic Gods (Mythology Library)
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • The Sleeping Army
  • Fate Forgotten (Fate of the Gods, #2)
  • An Odor of Sanctity
A pseudonym used by C.C. Humphreys

Chris (C.C.) Humphreys was born in Toronto and grew up in the UK. All four grandparents were actors and since his father was an actor as well, it was inevitable he would follow the bloodline. He has acted all over the world and appeared on stages ranging from London’s West End to Hollywood’s Twentieth Century Fox. Favorite roles have included Hamlet, Caleb the Gla
More about Chris Humphreys...

The Runestone Saga (3 books)
  • Vendetta (The Runestone Saga, #2)
  • Possession (The Runestone Saga, #3)