Start by marking “The Toll Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Toll Bridge

The Toll Bridge (The Dance Sequence)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  17 reviews

To escape the pressures of suffocating parents and a possessive girlfriend, seventeen-year-old Piers takes a job as a keeper of a toll bridge and its cottage. There he befriends Adam, a charismatic wayfarer who shows up one day and refuses to leave. He also befriends a girl named Tess, and soon he and Tess find themselves strangely attracted to Adam and falling under his s

Published June 1st 1995 by Laura Geringer Book (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Toll Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toll Bridge

Anne Hamilton
I read this book about nine or ten years ago. So in reviewing it, I am also pointing out this is a distant recollection of what impressed me about it and what I learned from it.

It's a long way into the book before Piers' name is actually revealed. Up until then, he's dubbed 'Janus', suggestive of a two-faced nature. Though, since Janus is the oldest Roman deity and a guardian of bridges, perhaps it's meant to imbue the story with a mythological sense. Piers, of course, is a name itself evocative
Marco
Con Chambers ho sempre il solito problema: più lo leggo, meno chiaro diventa la mia classifica mentale dei suoi libri.
Per me QE3 è uno dei migliori. Forse non il mio preferito (quel titolo lo hanno Danza sulla mia tomba e Cartoline, credo), ma validissimo.
L'unico contro che gli trovo (abbastanza grande) sta nel finale, che improvvisamente compie uno shift enorme e sembra concentrarsi su altro, NON su Piers. Ed è un peccato.
Per il resto, STRAconsigliato come tutti i Chambers che ho letto. STRA ST
Alex
I was a 13-year-old girl thumbing through the second hand shelves at a local bookstore when I came across a well-read book. I picked it up and noticed the cracked spine and the folded pages. Some people might see a book with a double-headed piece of pottery on the cover, I saw an interesting story. And it was... I have never heard of Aidan Chambers. My adolescent reading experience consisted of The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High, I did not know what real writing was. "Toll Bridge" is wha ...more
Emma Burkhart
Nowhere near as compelling as Postcards from No-Man's Land, so I was a tad disappointed. But nevertheless Chambers's characters drew me in, and the vague sense of foreboding throughout made me eager to see where to story was going. If I was going to recommend this author, I wouldn't start with this book - but it was good for someone who already enjoys his style.
Jane
I had started and rejected about 10 books before I read this gem. His writing is beautiful, the characters made me remember the intensity of feelings and judgments of my late teen years. Finding out who they are, what matters to them, I went into the library on my day off to get another of his books.
Desiree
Absolutely one of my favorite books. I read it a few years ago, and it helped a lot when it came to opening my eyes to the normalcy of sex within life and daily conversation. . . . although it's not so normal in this book.
Jessica Anne
I finished this while hiking, so maybe the niceness of the walk leaked into the pages. Or maybe I have too many good memories of reading Aidan Chambers as a teenager. Whatever the case, I kind of loved this book--despite the cover and the slightly sentimental nature of the writing.

Also, Aidan Chambers always does a really excellent job of capturing the heightened emotions of being seventeen. And for some reason, these emotions seem important to remember, even as you grow older.

(Really, that cove
Meghan
This is the third book I've read in the so-called Dance Sequence (which is not really a series, or I would never be reading them out of order): first I read the final and superlative This Is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn, and the circled back to the second and sequence-naming Dance on My Grave, and those two books are not hugely similar to each other.

A third data-point is useful for triangulating some reoccurring themes. An obvious one is each book is narrated primarily through the writi
Paige [eastIndies.]
A review for Aidan Chambers' Now I Know and The Toll Bridge:

Both stories are brilliant, as always with Aidan. I've enjoyed reading these back to back and feeling the different depths and routes Aidan took with each book. Now I Know was all about what belief means. This was an opportune time to read this and it really made me feel immersed in the meaning and spirituality of belief, and I really liked seeing this aspect of Aidan come to life in a novel. The Toll Bridge brought out a philosophy th
Frances
3.5 stars. What is with all of the reviews emphasizing the sex in this book? There is one scene, and it doesn't even involve the main character! Two reviews made it sound too racy for our YA collection, but it's not. Annoying. Anyway, it was a good book... The setting is unique and compelling, and you care about the characters. It makes you think and nicely ties in some literary references. I would have liked a little more at the end. We find out what Adam's deal is, but not really how it pertai ...more
Anke
I read a book review on dancing on my grave- it wasn't available at the library, so i chose this one.
The story itself is okay, but maybe i'm just to old of YA-literature. I didn't really get sucked into the story. Just read it to finish the book
Denise Aronica
Non è per niente facile parlare di questo libro. Sono passati ormai giorni e giorni da quando l'ho finito, eppure ancora non l'ho metabolizzato del tutto. Ho senza dubbio apprezzato moltissimo lo stile di scrittura di Chambers e mi sono molto piaciuti anche i personaggi da lui creati. Il grande punto interrogativo di questo romanzo sta nel finale.

Recensione completa su Reading is believing clicca qui per leggerla !
Susan
If you are interested in psychology and types of amnesia, this is a pretty interesting read. I enjoyed the play between Tess and Jan when they wrote together...the playful banter. And there are a lot of literary references, which makes it a fun game to see how many I recognize and know where they came from. And it's a very interesting story once it really gets going, though it is kind of slow to start. It's a pretty easy read, probably for YA, but then I enjoy YA novels and I know a lot of my fr ...more
Cookie
Ahhh...I don't know what I thought about this book. Three stars? Two stars? Reading this book was a roller coaster for me. I liked it...I didn't like it. I was intrigued...I was bored. Usually a book draws me in and I become so entranced, I read it immediately. Not this one - FIVE days; five days when I could have (and should have) been reading something else.

But, then again, I DO want to read the other books in the series. What can I say? I'm a sucker for anything English! LoVe the UK!
Phil
Although socio-realism is not my favourite genre this book enthralled me. I found myself at times captivated by the intriguing development of the story and the main characters. The ending was very different to what i expected, but the last paragraph was brilliant.
Rebecca
I didn't love this as much as I had expected, but then I should have expected Chambers to deliver his usual punch, which he did. Well written as usual, and painful as usual!
Kirsten König
By far my favourite Chambers.
Dmm-art
Dmm-art marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Julie Pritchard
Julie Pritchard marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Tineke
Tineke marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Paris
Paris added it
Mar 25, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Kat
Kat is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
  • He's The One
  • Hey, Dollface
  • Andy Squared
  • St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)
  • Brothers: Life, Death, Truth
  • The Perfect Boy
  • The Blue Lawn
  • Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)
  • Breathing Underwater
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Ragged Dick & Mark, the Match Boy
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • Flesh and Blood (Loka Legends #0.5)
  • Drifting (Finding Our Way, #3)
  • The Summer of Love
  • The Mariposa Club
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Rosemary and Juliet
Born near Chester-le-Street, County Durham in 1934, Chambers was an only child, and a poor scholar; considered "slow" by his teachers, he did not learn to read fluently until the age of nine. After two years in the Royal Navy as part of his National Service, Chambers trained as a teacher and taught for three years at Westcliff High School in Southend on Sea before joining an Anglican monastery in ...more
More about Aidan Chambers...

The Dance Sequence (6 books)
  • Breaktime
  • Dance on My Grave
  • Nik: Now I Know
  • Postcards from No Man's Land
  • This is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn
This is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn Postcards from No Man's Land Dying to Know You Dance on My Grave The Kissing Game

“If we try to measure Now, we find it's always gone, has become part of the past.” 4 likes
“Ik zei vlug: 'Ze eten niet, drinken niet, ze pikken je kleren niet en ze kunnen niet op vakantie gaan, niet slapen, geen scheten laten of dubbel spel spelen of brutale antwoorden geven of je in de steek laten als je ze nodig hebt. En ze willen niet betaald worden en ze hebben geen lange tenen en ze hoeven niet geschilderd te worden en ze lijden niet aan de Kwelders en ze hebben geen menopauze en ze moorden en martelen niet en ze vechten geen oorlogen uit...' 'Ze kunnen ze wel veroorzaken,' wist Tess er nog gauw tussen te krijgen. '... en ze doen niets anders dan er fraai uitzien, terwijl ze staan te wachten tot je met ze doet wat je maar wilt, zoals ze bijvoorbeeld lézen. Goed... is dt genoeg voor vandaag, kunnen we nu doorgaan?” 1 likes