Start by marking “Look to the Mountain” as Want to Read:
Look to the Mountain

Look to the Mountain

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published first in 1942, it has remained in print appearing in seven different editions with two dozen reprints and has sold over a million copies. The book's history testifies to the continuing appeal of the novel. It is an enthralling epic of the men and women who settled the New England wilderness."
Published June 1st 1991 by Countryman Press (first published October 1942)

Deb
I assigned this to my U.S. history students for summer reading. Whit and Melissa are newlywed teens - he's 19 and she's 16 - in 1769 New Hampshire. They set out with all of their wordly goods and a canoe to pioneer in a new township in north central New Hampshire Province. Through seven seasons they clear land, build a log cabin, grow Indian corn and potatoes, hay and rye, add chickens, oxen and children to their family and slowly welcome neighbors to their wilderness home. The impact of the Ame ...more
Sharon Zink
An amazing story sent from 1769-1776 in colonial New Hampshire. It is a story of settlers in the back country and portrays their lives and struggles and thoughts, words, and deeds. Probably one of the best books I have read this year.
Joyce
This is my copy, the 1942 edition, picked up used. My original copy, in the 1970s, long gone. I first read it in my high school Social Studies class, history of my town in New Hampshire. Thank you, Mr. (Arthur) Pease.

I love this book! It does have some language in it, all of which I'd much rather do without, but the writing, the writing is so beautiful. I've got about 100 more pages to read. I find myself crying often for the beauty of it, and reading parts of it aloud, just for the beauty of it
Dereka
My father liked this book (originally published 1942 but reprinted frequently over the years) and I read it years ago but reread it recently paying more attention to the historical elements. A wonderful depiction of early settlement on the New England frontier.
Anne
Recommended by the Orford, NH librarian when I called looking into my family history of the area. This is a story of what it was like pre-revolutionary war with the pioneers and settlers in old New Hampshire. This is an adventure that is enthralling and interesting, sweet and meaningful. It was written a long time ago, so it is a bit dated in regards to describing men and women, but overall the story of the pioneers of New Hampshire is one I would continue to recommend. It helped me to understan ...more
Mary
Apr 13, 2009 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: my friend found this in her communal living books
this novel was published in 1945 and the story line takes place in the year of 1765. The style of writing transports the readers imagination of how the English language might have been spoken in the 1700's in New England.

The story is the journey of one man's dream to be on his own, away from his home town where he lived in the shadows of his childhood. He left home to discover and claim the offer for free land to anyone who dared settle at the base of the white mountains, 40 miles west of Ports
Amygrace
I have read more than once. A story of how the local was settled.
Carolyn Crocker
Sometimes an old-fashioned story is a refreshing change of pace. The 8-year struggle of two young people to leave their pasts behind and make a new life as pioneers at the base of Mt. Chocorua in 1769 is an opportunity for Cannon to showcase the resilience, endurance and ingenuity in the New Hampshire character. Whit and Melissa are somewhat idealized, but their story is compelling, and climaxes with a brief experience of the Battle of Bennington.
Camandwmm
Interesting story of pioneer men and women in familiar New Hampshire towns. Story takes place from 1769-1777. Lots of hard work clearing land, building log home, planting fields of crops etc. Makes us appreciate all we have now!
Ryan Wasson
Fantastic story of early American settlers in New England. I live in the Town that most of the story takes place, so I know how accurate the story is as far as location and historic details.
Steve Zeoli
Look to the Mountain is one of my all time favorite books. It is a coming of age story about a young pioneer trying to make a life in the pre-Revolutionary War wilderness of New Hampshire.
Patricia
This has to be one of the best novels about early American homesteading that I've ever read. The author only wrote this one book but what an amazing read he blessed us with!
Trisha Owens
Very good depiction of men and women in settlement times of America (New Hampshire) Whit Livingstone and Melissa traverse virgin lands and Indian territory, set in 1769.
Cynthia
UNITED STATES - Very, Very Good. A very detailed look at what life was like for frontier settlers during the Revolutionary/Colonial period.
Jan
I was in 5th grade and this was the book that started my love for historical fiction.
Susan Crysler
nice easy-early historical novel about N.H.
Rob
One of my favorite books of all time!
Tom
a greAt story believable
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Doug Hall
Doug Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kelli Robinson
Kelli Robinson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Luke A. Bunker
Luke A. Bunker marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Mazzie_delacruzyahoo.com
Mazzie_delacruzyahoo.com marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014