Start by marking “Look to the Mountain” as Want to Read:
Look to the Mountain

Look to the Mountain

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Published first in 1942, it has remained in print—appearing in seven different editions with two dozen reprints—and has sold over a million copies. The book's history testifies to the continuing appeal of the novel. It is an enthralling epic of the men and women who settled the New England wilderness.
Published June 17th 1991 by Countryman Press (first published October 1942)

Deb
Aug 23, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
I assigned this to my U.S. history students for summer reading. Whit and Melissa are newlywed teens - he's 19 and she's 16 - in 1769 New Hampshire. They set out with all of their wordly goods and a canoe to pioneer in a new township in north central New Hampshire Province. Through seven seasons they clear land, build a log cabin, grow Indian corn and potatoes, hay and rye, add chickens, oxen and children to their family and slowly welcome neighbors to their wilderness home. The impact of the Ame ...more
Natalie
Sep 11, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it

The story centers around teen newlyweds who in 1769 set out on a canoe laden with their worldly possessions to pioneer in a new township in north central New Hampshire (then) province. A bit long and slow moving, the book is unsparing in its description of the hardships of pioneer living and I was left with a feeling of great respect and admiration for these hard-working, self-sufficient people.
Sharon Zink
Oct 15, 2014 Sharon Zink rated it it was amazing
An amazing story sent from 1769-1776 in colonial New Hampshire. It is a story of settlers in the back country and portrays their lives and struggles and thoughts, words, and deeds. Probably one of the best books I have read this year.
Franklin
Apr 11, 2015 Franklin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History buffs
Recommended to Franklin by: Purchased in lot from eBay
There are a number of good reviews already posted. Cannon, born 1899 in NH, must have done considerable research. I liked the descriptions of homesteading and travel which show hardships we can only imagine. From school I envisioned the revolt as a more universal uprising (heroes: Paul Revere & Nathan Hale). Here we see that some were for, some were against, and many were neutral. Although I knew this, the book makes it more vivid. News was by word of mouth, slow, and distorted like our curr ...more
Joyce
Sep 25, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
This is my copy, the 1942 edition, picked up used. My original copy, in the 1970s, long gone. I first read it in my high school Social Studies class, history of my town in New Hampshire. Thank you, Mr. (Arthur) Pease.

I love this book! It does have some language in it, all of which I'd much rather do without, but the writing, the writing is so beautiful. I've got about 100 more pages to read. I find myself crying often for the beauty of it, and reading parts of it aloud, just for the beauty of it
Dereka
Mar 07, 2008 Dereka rated it really liked it
My father liked this book (originally published 1942 but reprinted frequently over the years) and I read it years ago but reread it recently paying more attention to the historical elements. A wonderful depiction of early settlement on the New England frontier.
Anne
Nov 25, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Recommended by the Orford, NH librarian when I called looking into my family history of the area. This is a story of what it was like pre-revolutionary war with the pioneers and settlers in old New Hampshire. This is an adventure that is enthralling and interesting, sweet and meaningful. It was written a long time ago, so it is a bit dated in regards to describing men and women, but overall the story of the pioneers of New Hampshire is one I would continue to recommend. It helped me to understan ...more
Mary
Apr 13, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: my friend found this in her communal living books
this novel was published in 1945 and the story line takes place in the year of 1765. The style of writing transports the readers imagination of how the English language might have been spoken in the 1700's in New England.

The story is the journey of one man's dream to be on his own, away from his home town where he lived in the shadows of his childhood. He left home to discover and claim the offer for free land to anyone who dared settle at the base of the white mountains, 40 miles west of Ports
Judy
Jun 29, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing
This book, written in 1942, is the story of the settling of the North Country of New Hampshire. The mountain mentioned in the title is Mount Chicorua. It's the story of Whit and Melissa. Two young lovers from Kettleford Township (modern Bedford, New Hampshire), and continues up the Merrimac River to what's now Chicorua, New Hampshire. It goes from the 1750s to the 1770s and the American Revolution. It's a good book and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves New Hampshire as much as I do.
Chloe H.
Jan 10, 2016 Chloe H. rated it really liked it
This book is terrific. It's like...the novelistic equivalent of a roadside chainsaw woodcarvers workshop; sure, it's rustic, a little cheesy, and easily overlooked, but for those willing to take the time, it's full of subtle artistry and charm. I can't be a perfectly neutral reviewer though, since I grew up in rural New England, and the setting has personal resonance for me.
Amygrace
Sep 04, 2014 Amygrace rated it it was amazing
I have read more than once. A story of how the local was settled.
Carolyn Crocker
May 13, 2013 Carolyn Crocker rated it liked it
Sometimes an old-fashioned story is a refreshing change of pace. The 8-year struggle of two young people to leave their pasts behind and make a new life as pioneers at the base of Mt. Chocorua in 1769 is an opportunity for Cannon to showcase the resilience, endurance and ingenuity in the New Hampshire character. Whit and Melissa are somewhat idealized, but their story is compelling, and climaxes with a brief experience of the Battle of Bennington.
Camandwmm
Sep 22, 2012 Camandwmm rated it really liked it
Interesting story of pioneer men and women in familiar New Hampshire towns. Story takes place from 1769-1777. Lots of hard work clearing land, building log home, planting fields of crops etc. Makes us appreciate all we have now!
Ryan Wasson
Feb 08, 2008 Ryan Wasson rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story of early American settlers in New England. I live in the Town that most of the story takes place, so I know how accurate the story is as far as location and historic details.
Steve Zeoli
May 09, 2012 Steve Zeoli rated it it was amazing
Look to the Mountain is one of my all time favorite books. It is a coming of age story about a young pioneer trying to make a life in the pre-Revolutionary War wilderness of New Hampshire.
Patricia
Aug 29, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This has to be one of the best novels about early American homesteading that I've ever read. The author only wrote this one book but what an amazing read he blessed us with!
Trisha Owens
Oct 02, 2012 Trisha Owens rated it it was amazing
Very good depiction of men and women in settlement times of America (New Hampshire) Whit Livingstone and Melissa traverse virgin lands and Indian territory, set in 1769.
Cynthia
Dec 27, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
UNITED STATES - Very, Very Good. A very detailed look at what life was like for frontier settlers during the Revolutionary/Colonial period.
Jan
Sep 22, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
I was in 5th grade and this was the book that started my love for historical fiction.
Susan Crysler
Feb 08, 2013 Susan Crysler rated it really liked it
nice easy-early historical novel about N.H.
Rob
May 16, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time!
Tom
Apr 04, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
a greAt story believable
Christopher
Apr 23, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Colleen Strang
Colleen Strang is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Ann Evankow
Ann Evankow marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ronnie
Ronnie is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
Kelli
Kelli is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Rebecca Crooks
Rebecca Crooks marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Jocon
Jocon rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016