Start by marking “Little Porcupine's Christmas” as Want to Read:
Little Porcupine's Christmas

Little Porcupine's Christmas

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Little Porcupine's mother calls him the "light of her life," but it's not until the night before Christmas, the very night of the Christmas play, that Little Porcupine sees the truth in her words.
Published September 23rd 2003 by HarperTrophy (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Little Porcupine's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Porcupine's Christmas

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
231st out of 797 books — 1,104 voters
Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateWho is Coming to Our House? by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten by Joseph SlateMiss Bindergarten Takes a Field Trip with Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
Best of Joseph Slate
8th out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Rosa Cline
Jul 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This was a super Dear Christmas story! Unlike any that I've read before. The main character is a Porcupine (which I found fun since what author uses porcupines? :) He gets excited for the school play about the baby in the manager. His mother tells him he will do fine and he was her brightest light (or something like that) when he gets to school the other children (Other various animals) tease him and tell him he can't be various people in the play for various reasons mostly due to him being ugly ...more
Asho
Dec 30, 2014 Asho rated it liked it
This book was a Christmas gift from my son's preschool teachers. It's a cute little Christmas story. The ending was a nice surprise, and the book provides a good "everyone is special and there is a useful role for everyone" lesson. I will say, though, that my almost-three-year-old doesn't really understand that the porcupine is being teased and left out. He still likes the story and has asked for it several times this Christmas season, but I think the actual message would hit better for Pre-K an ...more
Mary Louise Sanchez
Love this story and the illustrations. All my grandchildren have enjoyed this story and I will continue to share it. Our six-year-old granddaughter just discovered this book and likes to revisit it often and see which animals play which parts in the Christmas pageant. She also likes to match their parents in the audience.
Joanna
Dec 05, 2007 Joanna rated it liked it
Little Porcupine is the oddball in his classroom and doesn't seem to belong in their Christmas Pageant. My only real problem with this story celebrating difference is that the other animals children all claim he doesn't belong because he doesn't share the defining characteristic of that animal. (He's not striped like the chipmunk, is one strange example. None of the other animals have stripes either.) I suppose that's the point--we're all wonderful because we're all different. It just struck a f ...more
Rian M
Jan 15, 2015 Rian M rated it it was amazing
awesome! #READON
Chinyleu Nwokolo
Mar 29, 2014 Chinyleu Nwokolo rated it liked it
Shelves: edu-t-l-2368
Poor little porcupine was teased because of his prickly back and initially didn't get a part in the school play.His mom was always there to lift his spirits up with hugs and reminding him he is the light of her life.In the end he had the most important role, the star of the play. This is an easy read that teaches kids not to look down on others just because they are different. Everyone is important.
Slate,J.,Bond,F.(1982)Little Porcupine's Christmas
New York: Scholastic Inc
Jenny
Little Porcupine really wants to be part of the Christmas play, but he can't be a shepherd or a wise man or an angel...his spines will poke the sheep or punch holes in the gift. He can only work behind the scenes. His mother always calls him "the light of my life". And at the end, Porcupine gets a very special role in the play.

I loved the warm relationship between porcupine and his mom. And I am glad that he found a role that was perfect for him.
Sharon
Aug 04, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This adorable story starts with little porcupine wanting a part in the Christmas play. The other children have told him that he is too funny looking to have an acting part. His wise and loving Mother tells him: try out because “Your spines shine. Your eyes sparkle. You are the light of my life.” The story has a touching ending; where little porcupines come to the rescue with the actors forget the Christmas star!
Jenny
Feb 15, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I got this book in a pack of books from a Christmas book order. My two year old son loves it--he is still asking for it, even though it got sent back to storage with all the other Christmas stuff! Our favorite line is "'Oh!' said the mamas. 'Ah!' said the papas." We are still quoting it and my little boy says it with the cutest little voice. Darling illustration and a cute story.
Paula
Dec 10, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Little Porcupine wants to be in the Christmas play, but the other animals tell him that there are no roles for porcupines. A surprise ending and a very loving, supporting, encouraging mother make all the difference.
Tricia
porcupine is ostracized by classmates during preparation for the christmas play but finds a way to shine in the end. pictures are cute---by felecia bond.
Brenda
Dec 10, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Adorable story that shows that even if you're different, you can still find your place to shine! I loved the mamma's love for her little porcupine:)
Yekaterina
Jan 09, 2013 Yekaterina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Really cute story about being yourself and loving who you are.
Marlys Murray
Apr 05, 2012 Marlys Murray rated it it was amazing
this is our very favorite Christmas book... LOVE it!!!
Meridith
Dec 03, 2013 Meridith rated it it was amazing
So sweet. Religious.
Byron
Jan 08, 2013 Byron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Ella rated this one.
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Darla Deibler
Darla Deibler marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Wwcv
Wwcv marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Sandy Brehl
Sandy Brehl rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Olivia Andrefski
Olivia Andrefski marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Johnna
Johnna added it
Apr 02, 2016
Edward McWhirter
Edward McWhirter rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
D. Field
D. Field rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016