Start by marking “Petey and Pru and the Hullabaloo” as Want to Read:
Petey and Pru and the Hullabaloo

Petey and Pru and the Hullabaloo

Petey is enjoying a peaceful afternoon of gardening when his good friend Pru starts to cause trouble. Petey reacts in turn, and before long, things have escalated from a scuffle to a tussle to a true hullabaloo!

This beautifully illustrated story about the true meaning of friendship is packed with excitement and near disaster as well as vocabulary-expanding words that are f
Published October 8th 2013 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Petey and Pru and the Hullabaloo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Petey and Pru and the Hullabaloo

Kathy
Jan 17, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Petey is content with tranquil activities like gardening but Pru aims mischievously to create chaos. Will these friends learn to resolve their conflict? Either way, they are certain to adopt a few new vocabulary words. In most picture books, readers are unlikely to encounter jargon as jazzy as, “brouhaha” or “serendipity” but the narration in this story embraces scintillating language by setting emboldened terms in the context of a very simple plot. Children will enjoy how the lively ...more
Jenna
Aug 04, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
Finally, a picture book that uses my favorite word: defenestration!

Adorable illustrations (the same artist as Mustache Baby) and while the rhythm of the book itself felt a bit off at the end, it still was hilarious and had nice vocabulary. And I can't say no to that tricksy grin.
Jess
Feb 25, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Very cute story with very good illustrations. Petey wants tranquility and Pru is up to no good. In the ensuing chaos they find true friendship.
Natasha
Filled with delightful vocabulary - who doesn't love a picture book that uses the word defenestration?!?
Courtney
Feb 25, 2014 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Courtney by: Lia, book display.
Petey is just trying to work on his garden in peace, when Pru decides to play a prank with the aid of some furry feline friends. After Pru's prank (assisted by her cacophonous clowder of cats), Petey is angry with her, and after an attempt to get revenge the two friends actions have caused Petey's garden to be completely destroyed. Will the two friends be able to make things right with each other? Or is this the end of their friendship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This book is very cute, with a unique illustrati
Regina L
Apr 09, 2015 Regina L rated it really liked it
“Petey and Pru and the Hullaballo” by Ammi-Joan Paquette is a children’s book celebration of big, adult words, in the most fun way! It encourages new vocabulary : tranquil, chaos, peeved, mayhem, demolished, and many more words that will require explanation but that rhyme and flow so well to create the storyline on the book. Getting to know the vocabulary will keep the book fun and fresh and I think older elementary children will enjoy learning these words and trying to use them in every day ...more
Barbara
Although I'm not sure how much I would enjoy having Pru in my life, she certainly guarantees that there's never a dull moment in the life of Petey, her friend. She interrupts his gardening with a chorus of singing felines, and he responds with a canine assault. By the time the dust settles, the garden is a mess, and the friends are at each other's throats. They eventually settle their differences, but the last page shows that Pru hasn't learned her lesson. The digital illustrations are drenched ...more
Nanci Booher
Jul 19, 2016 Nanci Booher rated it really liked it
What an adorable story. Petey wishes to be tranquil...Pru is always feeling tricksy. When Petey's gardening is interrupted by Pru's mayhem what results is total and complete brouhaha. Great illustrations that remind me a bit of a fairy tale along with an adorable dog and lots of kitty cats. The thing that I likes most was the definition of the very big words, written on the inside of the back and front covers....reminded me a bit of Fancy Nancy. Definitely a book worth adding to the collection ...more
Traci Bold
Dec 16, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
True friendship is tested in this funny romp of mischief in picture book, 'Petey and Pru and the Hullaballoo' written by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by joy Ang.

Petey is practical and kind of shy. Pru is the opposite. She is feisty and mischievous.

One prank turns into you guessed it, chaos and their friendship is tested. How does it work out? Well, you will have to read for yourself which i strongly suggest you do.

Published by Clarion Books a division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Kimberly
Jul 06, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This one absolutely tickled me, especially being a lover of big long vocabulary words. The illustrations are adorable, and I sincerely hope that small children who read it will walk around exclaiming some of these excellent words.
Scott
Feb 12, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two very different friends have an adventure together. The illustrations by Joy Ang are what made thsi for me. Bright and detailed, the capture the action fantastically! I particularly like the spread where Pru is spraying everything with water.
Lydia Rodriguez
May 01, 2014 Lydia Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I loved the illustrations in this book and the use of funny big words for children. I love the character Pru but I am more of a Petey person myself. Pru goal seems to never let Petey have a tranquil moment. The friendship they have is adorable but that Pru is one trickster.
Ellen Ramsey
Jul 05, 2014 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing
A book that features two kids—one tranquil, one tricksy, and lots of splendiferous words. One kid creates calm, the other creates caterwauling, cacophony, and chaos! The book is a delightful romp through the shenanigans of these two characters.
Rachel
Jan 07, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
A fun adventure that uses some great big words, its a little awkward that some are real and others are on the "made-up", and some are harder to define from the context when the illustrations are vague.
Akoss
Apr 16, 2015 Akoss rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My daughter enjoyed this one a lot. It has funny and spunky words. Lots of fun rhymes and the story is full of mayhem thanks to "tricksy" Prue. Definitely a must read for kids who only give you (the parent or guardian) 3 to 5 min for story time.
Shelli
Dec 16, 2014 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Petey and Pru are two very different friends who share an action packed day of near catastrophes while using vocabulary increasing words. The illustrations are bright and full of expression. Parents may want take advantage of the glossary on the inside and back cover of the book.
Alison
Uses some interesting vocab that children might not see in other picture books. A look at a friendship between two people, one of whom seems to be a bit more quiet and the other who likes a little chaos in her life.
paula
This book is so great - with its bright colors, groovy art, delectable vocabulary, and rambunctious action... why is the cover (and the title) so unappealing? Grmph.
Tracie
Oct 24, 2013 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The vocab in this one is great and the story helps illustrate the meaning. This would be a good pick for an Language Arts classroom.
Carrie Charley Brown
Jul 28, 2014 Carrie Charley Brown rated it really liked it
I love the way this story introduces big vocabulary in a light-hearted way. Every child will relate to Petey and Pru's true-to-childhood characteristics.
Lynne Marie
Jan 23, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
Loved the art, but most of all loved the engaging and challenging vocabulary used in this clever story, and the personalities that drives i
Heydi Smith
May 06, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
Great storytime book, love the illustrations and the word usage. Great for expanding their little vocabularies!
Amanda
Feb 26, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Loved loved loved this book and how the text/illustrations played together. What a great way for kids to learn some of my favorite words.
Jane
Dec 10, 2013 Jane added it
A great book for introducing the joys of vocabulary and a great choice kids who are already little word collectors.
Anne Broyles
Jul 16, 2015 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
A fun story of friendship, using vivid language that will increase young readers' vocabularies just by the context (though definitions are also included).
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Jamie A. Swenson
Jamie A. Swenson rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Hero
Hero rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ammi-Joan Paquette has never met a ghost, mummy, monster, skeleton, or witch — as far as she knows. This book, she says, was inspired by a game she used to play with her sister: "Most of the details have been lost to time, but I still remember the shivery thrill I got when we played it. So, I drew on that same energy to write a spooky picture book, which eventually became A Ghost in the House." In ...more
More about Ammi-Joan Paquette...