Start by marking “The Ripple Effect” as Want to Read:
The Ripple Effect

The Ripple Effect

One town under siege . . . One batch of doughnuts . . . One ripple of resentment.

Profit-hungry developers are swarming over Middleton, determined to see the local football ground turned into luxury flats. But they haven't counted on the spirited resistance of local baker, Bill Baxter, who vents his frustration at the developers' plans by neglecting to put jam into a batch
Published February 2nd 2004 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ripple Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ripple Effect

Tony
May 22, 2012 Tony rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
I like comic fiction and I like football/soccer, and so I picked this up hoping to find an enjoyable light read to pass an evening or two. And indeed, that's pretty much exactly what I got -- nothing deep or particularly insightful, just a decent British comedy. The story's hero is Bill, a baker by trade, and diehard lifelong fan of his local lower-division soccer club. One morning, while despondent at his team's woeful record, he deliberately underfills the jam donuts, a simple act whose titula ...more
Rachelle
Jul 26, 2011 Rachelle rated it liked it
Had I known in advance that this was about football/soccer for the most part, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But the first chapter or two got me with its humour. Just the fact that the entire book is based on the results of a non-jam-filled donut makes it hilarious. The end end wasn't predictable either, as so many of this sort are. Also, the characters are very consistent and strong - I'm terrible with names, but could tell after the first sentence from each character, who I was dealing ...more
David Whittlestone
Dec 29, 2014 David Whittlestone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-reading
I read the first page and debated with myself whether I should continue. I did and am very pleased that I did. What a good book. I really enjoyed reading it. It was set in a part of Britain that I know fairly well with characters I might recognise. The story though was completely outside my experience, centring on football - hence my reluctance to start reading it.
However, it was a gripping tale of intrigue, cataloguing the ripples emanating from an early event. The event itself was very funny a
Adam
Feb 15, 2015 Adam rated it it was amazing
For the first time in a long time I bought a book without a clue what I was about to read, other than I'd read the authors previous book, Only In America.

A laugh out loud book that anyone who follows a smaller lower football league club (such as myself who's club is mentioned in the book in a way which is totally believable) can relate to.
Mac.Hawk
Jan 21, 2016 Mac.Hawk rated it it was amazing
There are so many books about football and I've read more than a few but this is bar far the best. A struggling team, bad debts, hopeless players & owners, die hard fans and a Premier league that couldn't give a sh*t.

Loads of smiles and some great laughs - most enjoyable book I've read for a while.
Rachel Willoughby
May 05, 2016 Rachel Willoughby rated it really liked it
This is the first adult book I ever read and it was a pretty good intro. It goes from one persons life to the next showing the small little effects that one action can have on another and then another. Very clever how it all connects and follows on in sweet succession.
Linda
Mar 02, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Loved this and bought numerous copies to give to friends. Very very funny. True to life too (a manager once told me this mirrored the goings on at his club)! Only problem is it seems to be out of print and I can't get my hands on any more to give to the uninitiated.
AT
Nov 13, 2016 AT rated it it was amazing
Lots of Belly laughs. So clever - Ingenious; just what the doctor ordered.
Sonya
Aug 05, 2011 Sonya rated it really liked it
Very funny - especially if you've ever been part of a low league football / sports club
Shelly_toast
Shelly_toast rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Rorysm
Rorysm rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2010
Zac
Zac rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
David
David rated it it was ok
May 21, 2012
Sandie Kirk
Sandie Kirk rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Jamie Harris
Jamie Harris rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Dale Saundersfoot
Dale Saundersfoot rated it liked it
May 17, 2017
Vicki Lebbell
Vicki Lebbell rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Geraldine Powell
Geraldine Powell rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Bryan Hallett
Bryan Hallett rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Jamie Dyer
Jamie Dyer rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2010
Ash Field-Smith
Ash Field-Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Elaine Garcia
Elaine Garcia rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Gabrielė Bavro-Ciunelytė
Gabrielė Bavro-Ciunelytė rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Kjersti
Kjersti rated it really liked it
May 13, 2010
Adam Webb
Adam Webb rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Michael Halliday
Michael Halliday rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dominic Holland has been a professional stand-up comedian for over 20 years and has become one of the most regarded and respected comedians of his generation.

‘The UK’s master of observational comedy ’ The Sunday Times‘A top notch stand-up who everyone should see’ The Daily Telegraph

But Dominic’s favourite quote comes from the late Bob Monkhouse – ‘Dominic Holland is the UK’s funniest not-yet-famou
More about Dominic Holland...