Start by marking “The Lost (and Found) Balloon” as Want to Read:
The Lost (and Found) Balloon

The Lost (and Found) Balloon

Where do balloons go when you let them loose? Find out in this whimsical, imaginative tale, winner of the General Mills Spoonful of Stories contest.

Molly O’Doon ties a note to her red balloon, lets it loose, and off it goes on a buoyant adventure. Who will answer Molly’s letter? Someone in a different state or a faraway country? Or maybe, a new friend much closer than she
Published June 11th 2013 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost (and Found) Balloon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost (and Found) Balloon

Matthew
Feb 12, 2017 Matthew rated it liked it
Maybe it's the environmentalist in me, but I was bothered that the girl released a balloon into the atmosphere (where it sailed over the ocean, no less) since loose balloons suffocate marine life that mistake a deflated balloon for jellyfish or squid that could be eaten. Still, I liked the book otherwise and the clever twist at the end will delight younger readers.
Summer Turner
Jun 30, 2014 Summer Turner rated it really liked it
Beautiful and fun book for young children (especially those who have recently moved to a new neighborhood, or whose friend recently moved away). A lovely story about finding friendship told through poetry and beautiful artwork.
The illustrations are partial, some parts of drawings intentionally remain black and white, which guides our eyes and directs our attention to more important parts of the illustrations. The illustrations appeal to the eye through a mainly red and blue palate.
The bouncing a
Joanne G.
Jun 18, 2013 Joanne G. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ages 3-8 years old
Recommended to Joanne by: Found in a box of Cheerios
THE LOST (AND FOUND) BALLOON by Celeste Jenkins was a delightful book! I write children's books also and love to read books by others writers. It is evident why Celeste won the 2011 Cheerios Spoonsful of Stories contest. Her story has a happy rhythm and rhyme that children will want to hear over and over. Many children have experienced releasing a balloon into the air (sometimes by choice - sometimes not!) and wondering where that balloon finally landed. This story has a feel-good ending that is ...more
Alice
Aug 23, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
This is a 3 1/2 for me! I liked it quite a bit and I liked the thought that a balloon could bring people on the same street together..(It would have been more amazing if the person found the note in another city or state oh well) I love the imagery. Instead of it saying going "Up UP UP" or "DOWN,DOWN,DOWN" the Ascent "Each Shrinking house, small like a mouse, Fields into rugs, cows into bugs" and the end 'Dots into ducks, Ants into trucks" for the descent. This is a good one and I recommend it!
Karen Arendt
Jul 08, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Imagining what happens to a balloon as it floats away into the sky is something every child has wondered. This picture book imagines the balloon going higher and higher as the sounds become quieter and the objects smaller. As the balloon floats back down, the sounds get louder and the objects bigger. The ending wraps up the balloon's travels with a new friendship, though some might have wanted the balloon to travel farther from home.
Linda
The book won the General Mills Spoonful of Stories contest and was published last year. Have you ever “lost” a helium-filled balloon and imagined where it might end up? That is what a young girl names “Molly O-Doon dreams about. Through poetic text, the story of the balloon traveling is told, finally ending up… Sorry I won’t tell. The illustrations are sweet especially when it’s night and the balloon travels across moonlit water.
Alison
Mar 07, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
This is another adorable book about gaining friendship. I thought the writer was very inventive with the idea of the main character sending a letter by balloon in an adventure to find anyone to be her friend. I will not spoil the ending for you, but I also like that this is a poem as well. This book would be another wonderful addition to poetry lessons and types that can be introduced to your students.
Shelli
Jun 25, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet tale of a balloon carrying a note that doesn't end up journeying very far to make a big impact.

This story reminded me of when I was a child and our school had a balloon release. The eager anticipation of a letter or card that might be sent from the individual who found the balloon with my note. Absolutely loved the illustrations as well, simple yet beautiful.
Kelsey
Aug 01, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: k-2nd, friendship, toys, moving
Age: K-2nd grade
Toys: Balloon
Familiar Experience: Moving

Will this traveling balloon connect two strangers? Molly ties a note full of curiosity to a stranger far, far away. We follow the balloon as it travels what we think is the world, only to end up a few doors down.
Dawn
Jul 04, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, first-reads
I was fortunate to win this sweet childrens book on First Reads. It's a fun little story about a balloon that takes a journey. Kids are always fascinated with balloons and this balloon shows kids maybe where it goes when it gets released up in the air. Very good illustrations too.
Airaseem  Perdomo
Dec 31, 2013 Airaseem Perdomo rated it liked it
Very cute book about a balloon. Very great illustrations. Good story for kids.
I wish this one didn't rhyme... Why do all of the Cheerios contest winners have to rhyme??
Jun 20, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
This is a rhyming book. I love books that rhyme. Cute story about a traveling balloon and making new friends.
Kaley
Jan 31, 2013 Kaley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-read, f-and-g
I loved everything about this wonderful story! Fabulous illustrations, a sweet story, and a surprise twist ending. One of my favorites of the season! I can't wait to sell this one!
Denise
Sep 29, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
A lovely, beautifully written and illustrated book.
Leslie
Actually surprised by ending--cute, but I'd have liked it more if it didn't rhyme.
Jill
May 09, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent book! We loved the ending! I got mine in a box of Cheerios cereal (it won the contest) but I see it will be available to buy this June!
Jul 15, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Sweet story with fun pictures.
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Eileen Johnson
Eileen Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Irene Allaire
Irene Allaire rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Elizabeth Bolden
Elizabeth Bolden rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013
Greta
Sep 09, 2013 Greta rated it it was amazing
Darling!
Guen
Guen rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Red Knit Cap Girl to the Rescue
  • Little Mouse
  • Some Bugs
  • Maude: The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • The Favorite Daughter