Start by marking “The Lost (and Found) Balloon” as Want to Read:
The Lost (and Found) Balloon

The Lost (and Found) Balloon

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Where do balloons go when you let them loose? Find out in this whimsical, imaginative tale, winner of the General Mills Spoonful of Stories contest.

Molly O’Doon ties a note to her red balloon, lets it loose, and off it goes on a buoyant adventure. Who will answer Molly’s letter? Someone in a different state or a faraway country? Or maybe, a new friend m
Published June 11th 2013 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Lost (and Found) Balloon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost (and Found) Balloon

Summer Turner
Beautiful and fun book for young children (especially those who have recently moved to a new neighborhood, or whose friend recently moved away). A lovely story about finding friendship told through poetry and beautiful artwork.
The illustrations are partial, some parts of drawings intentionally remain black and white, which guides our eyes and directs our attention to more important parts of the illustrations. The illustrations appeal to the eye through a mainly red and blue palate.
The bouncing a
Joanne G.
Jun 18, 2013 Joanne G. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 3-8 years old
Recommended to Joanne by: Found in a box of Cheerios
THE LOST (AND FOUND) BALLOON by Celeste Jenkins was a delightful book! I write children's books also and love to read books by others writers. It is evident why Celeste won the 2011 Cheerios Spoonsful of Stories contest. Her story has a happy rhythm and rhyme that children will want to hear over and over. Many children have experienced releasing a balloon into the air (sometimes by choice - sometimes not!) and wondering where that balloon finally landed. This story has a feel-good ending that is ...more
Alice
This is a 3 1/2 for me! I liked it quite a bit and I liked the thought that a balloon could bring people on the same street together..(It would have been more amazing if the person found the note in another city or state oh well) I love the imagery. Instead of it saying going "Up UP UP" or "DOWN,DOWN,DOWN" the Ascent "Each Shrinking house, small like a mouse, Fields into rugs, cows into bugs" and the end 'Dots into ducks, Ants into trucks" for the descent. This is a good one and I recommend it!
Karen Arendt
Imagining what happens to a balloon as it floats away into the sky is something every child has wondered. This picture book imagines the balloon going higher and higher as the sounds become quieter and the objects smaller. As the balloon floats back down, the sounds get louder and the objects bigger. The ending wraps up the balloon's travels with a new friendship, though some might have wanted the balloon to travel farther from home.
Linda
The book won the General Mills Spoonful of Stories contest and was published last year. Have you ever “lost” a helium-filled balloon and imagined where it might end up? That is what a young girl names “Molly O-Doon dreams about. Through poetic text, the story of the balloon traveling is told, finally ending up… Sorry I won’t tell. The illustrations are sweet especially when it’s night and the balloon travels across moonlit water.
Shelli
A sweet tale of a balloon carrying a note that doesn't end up journeying very far to make a big impact.

This story reminded me of when I was a child and our school had a balloon release. The eager anticipation of a letter or card that might be sent from the individual who found the balloon with my note. Absolutely loved the illustrations as well, simple yet beautiful.
Dawn
I was fortunate to win this sweet childrens book on First Reads. It's a fun little story about a balloon that takes a journey. Kids are always fascinated with balloons and this balloon shows kids maybe where it goes when it gets released up in the air. Very good illustrations too.
Kelsey
Age: K-2nd grade
Toys: Balloon
Familiar Experience: Moving

Will this traveling balloon connect two strangers? Molly ties a note full of curiosity to a stranger far, far away. We follow the balloon as it travels what we think is the world, only to end up a few doors down.
Airaseem Perdomo
Very cute book about a balloon. Very great illustrations. Good story for kids.
Kaley
I loved everything about this wonderful story! Fabulous illustrations, a sweet story, and a surprise twist ending. One of my favorites of the season! I can't wait to sell this one!
Jill
Excellent book! We loved the ending! I got mine in a box of Cheerios cereal (it won the contest) but I see it will be available to buy this June!
This is a rhyming book. I love books that rhyme. Cute story about a traveling balloon and making new friends.
Jennifer Kaap
I wish this one didn't rhyme... Why do all of the Cheerios contest winners have to rhyme??
Leslie
Actually surprised by ending--cute, but I'd have liked it more if it didn't rhyme.
Brittany
My son loves this book! Wish there were more books like this for little ones!
Denise
A lovely, beautifully written and illustrated book.
Sweet story with fun pictures.
Cynthia Marcus
Cynthia Marcus marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Susan James
Susan James marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • Paul Meets Bernadette
  • The Black Rabbit
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • Rain!
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Mo's Mustache