Start by marking “An Unexpected Date” as Want to Read:
An Unexpected Date

An Unexpected Date

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  52 reviews
An Unexpected Date is a super short and sweet contemporary romance short story (6 pages, 1700 words).

“An Unexpected Date is a wonderful and perfect release to a stressful or crazy day.” — Cafè of Dreams Book Reviews

“It totally made me smile.” — Getting Your Read On

“Susan has a knack for light hearted dialogue and describing the zing in the connection between Holly and Dave
Published May 1st 2012 by Hatco, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Date

Looking Through Blind Eyes by Reyna HawkCatching on Fire by Sue KnottManhunt by Lillie SpencerPearls of Wisdom by Chantilly WhiteChase by Chantal Fernando
Indie Romance – May New Releases
8th out of 21 books — 19 voters
Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
450th out of 1,931 books — 1,477 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
A cute romantic tale of two people meeting and finding some hot attraction.

This veeeerrrrry short book would actually make a great chapter 1 to a full size book. In these six short pages I already fell in love with the small Montana town, and the H/h had much to like too. You could feel the heat building, but sadly that is where the story ends. Very cute though. The author has a nice writing voice, I could read more by her. :-)
Anne OK
A very short and sweet little treasure by a new-to-me-author. Something to soothe your soul while visiting the little resort town of Whitefish, Montana. This one just goes to show that you can have your cake and ice cream, too!
KatLynne
Sweet, warm romance...3.5 stars

This is super short (about 15 pages) and just enough to whet my appetite for more. It takes less than five minutes to read and now that Holly and Dave have met in this beautiful small town and with their strong attraction, I would love to have their story.
Wendy
Very sweet and short story.
Steffi
Dear Susan,
please write a longer chick-lit book ;) I love your writing style and the character :)
Lisa Kay
Super, super short story... but made me smile the whole way. ...more
Laura Young
Title: An Unexpected Date
Author: Susan Hatler
Page count: 15
Genre: romance
My rating: 4/5
Publisher: Hatco, Inc.
Published: May first, 2012
Summary:Holly loves living in her cozy mountain town and all the surrounding beauty soothes her soul. She treasures beading jewelry for her own small business while watching nature and its amazing creatures outside her window. But, her mom begs her to move back to the city so she can find a man to marry. Holly doesn’t want to give up on her dreams, but does that
April
Heart-warmingly sweet, fantastically fun and vividly visual, the incredibly talented Susan Hatler takes the reader into a glimpse of a nearly thirty-year-old woman who has found her place in life - now she is just waiting to find the right man to share it with.

Though short, An Unexpected Date is a wonderful and perfect release to a stressful or crazy day. I think of it as the yummy, chocolaty, warm gooey chocolate fudge on top of a big scoop of ice cream. Kick back, relax and have a bit of fun t
Elsy Arellano
Just 4 stars because it was too short.

Although it says it's a short story, I wanted to know more. It's just a glimpse into a love story... Aww...
Cynthia
For a short read and I do mean short read this was a great story. I would have liked to have known more and hopefully as I read through some of her series I will find the full story of Holly and Dave.

This was a very cute read. The author does fill in all the wants and needs a person wants. She gives you a small taste of her writing style but leaves you wanting so much more. I really enjoyed it but didn't like the short 12 minute read so I am going to give this a 4 star. If you are looking for s
Jinky
Did you catch that page count? 11 pages!! Incredibly too short. As cute of a story as it was, there was just not enough content and character development for this to work for me. It's like a short chapter one for a novel. I don't get it. I'm glad I downloaded this for free because if I had spent more, I would kick myself. It's not even long enough to read while waiting at the doctor's office. It's a shame because it appears that the author can write. She just needs to write a lot more! ;)

Jinky i
Anima
Short and sweet. Just long enough to appreciate having dreams and the importance of sticking with them, despite what mom wants.
Robert Zimmermann
This short story was just what I needed to rewind from the day. It's lighthearted just like I enjoy when I read a romance like this one. The main character can be anyone who's out there working her dream job, even if it doesn't pay the bills, and enjoys it. Her spirit is great. This could be a good set up for a mini series of stories. I was left wanting to read more, but in a good way. It was complete in itself, while at the same time leaving it open to the imagination for what will happen next.
Freshly Baked Books
An Unexpected Date is a very short story, roughly 1700 words or so. Susan Hatler is one of my favorite authors and I love the Better Date than Never series. This short story is a really quick read. It's perfect for a short romance on your work break, or whever you happen to be at the time of reading it. I really enjoyed this sweet, cute and romantic story.

4/5 ~Layna

Original Post:
Ananda
Well, how do you write a review of such a short story? It's 15 pages or less. Hmmm, I hate it when I think my review will be longer, so I will cut to the chase.
The good thing about the story - the characters, they promise a LOT. Holly and Dave seem a cute couple and I sure would love to get to know them better and read more of their romance.

The bad thing - it's too short, too darn short and this leaves me almost frustrated.

Well, that's about it.
Susan Hatler
May 02, 2012 Susan Hatler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
After living in a small resort town for the past five years, I was inspired to write this sweet tale about a real life dilemma. What happens if you're living the life you want, exactly where you want to live it, but haven't found your true love yet? Sometimes finding the right person can seem so far out of reach, which is the exact desperation Holly is feeling in An Unexpected Date. I really enjoyed writing her short story. Thanks for reading! :-)
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
Small, yet very satisfying, this short novella does not lack! Just because it is short, don't discount it! Holly's story is one you will enjoy reading. An Unexpected Date is like a mini dessert you order at the end of your meal, it hits the spot! If you need a great way to end your day, this little book is just the treat you are looking for! (I would love it if Ms. Hatler decided to make this one a full-length novel) Five stars!*****

Paris
This is a very cute short story about living the life you want to live without that one little piece that would make it perfect...true love. I know a lot of people who are like Holly, perfectly happy and content with their lives but missing that special someone to share it with. This story showed that there is hope and that you can often meet that someone when you least expect it.
Claire Taylor
A cute coffee break short story.

Light-hearted and sweet, this book will leave you all happy and relaxed. Susan Hatler’s writing style is incredibly well descriptive and has a way of drawing you in, letting your mind imagine the story with no effort at all.

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Char (1RadReader59)
What a very sweet wholesome very short story. This is the chance meeting of Holly & Dave at a craft fair. Their families pressuring them to come home so they can start families. But loving where they live they stay. Which is good because their special time to meet would never have happened if they left.
Stories&Verse *
"An Unexpected Date" is a short story about serendipity. The perfect length for this storyline, i thought... Also as with other stories by Susan Halter - The dialog is seamless, you connect with the characters immediately, and the ending leaves with a "I'm glad i bought this book"feeling.
Katie
Loved it. Short and sweet. Same engaging voice that hooked me in the first book I had read by this author. This was another one that once you started reading you just couldn't put it down till the end. Look forward to reading more by this author.
Patricia
Again, this is too short for me to be able to say lots about the writing style. I think it wasn't bad, but I won't give it a full rating and instead wait until the author publishes something (full length) that sounds intriguing. :)
Natalie
Sweet but really, really, really, short. I would would give it 3.5 stars. I wish it had been combined with another of the short ones in the Truth or Date series, so one got more words for the price.
Veronica Blade
As always, Susan knows how to make me turn the page. This short story is no different. It's cute, sweet and gives me an ending so fulfilling, I sigh. Brain candy. Exactly what I like to read!!
Natalie Jones
Only 15 pages!! I WANT MORE. Where was their date, what flavour icecream did Holly have...just when I was getting in to it it was over. Please let there be a follow on to this book
Esther
My only complaint about this story is that it's just too short. I really wanted to know what happened next! But I loved what there was of it!!
Katie Watkins
A super short story about a chance encounter that ends up with the offer of a date.
Patricia
such a short book could deliver an engaging story....it left me begging for more.
Amber
i would love to see more books with this character! lol i related with her so well!
Goodreads Librari...: Please update my book cover? 18 88 Jun 07, 2013 04:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Need Book Cover Updated 5 32 Feb 20, 2013 12:39PM
  • Valentine Surprise
  • Love Transposed
  • Forever After
  • Beach Blanket Santa (Holiday Brides, #4)
  • I Love Lucy (The Bachelor Pact)
  • Get A Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List
  • The Sun Zebra
  • Ashes Ashes (Hostage Negotiation Team #2)
  • Snow Dance (A Dance 'n' Luv Short Story)
  • Podium Finish
  • A Portrait for Toni
  • A Good-Lookin' Man
  • Family Ties (A Cop in the Family, #2)
  • Promise Me
  • Summer in Snow Valley (Snow Valley Romance Anthologies Book 2)
  • Beach Winds
  • Spell Struck (Teen Wytche Saga #2)
  • Trust in Me
SUSAN HATLER is a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, who writes humorous and emotional contemporary romance and young adult novels. Many of Susan's books have been translated into German, Spanish, French, and Italian. A natural optimist, she believes life is amazing, people are fascinating, and imagination is endless. She loves spending time with her characters and hopes you do, too. ...more
More about Susan Hatler...
License to Date (Better Date than Never, #6) Truth or Date (Better Date than Never, #2) Shaken (Mind Reader, #1) Love at First Date (Better Date than Never, #1) My Last Blind Date (Better Date than Never, #3)