Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons (Pete the Cat)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  4,115 ratings  ·  538 reviews
Pete the Cat is wearing his favorite shirt—the one with the four totally groovy buttons. But when one falls off, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps on singing his song—after all, what could be groovier than three groovy buttons? Count down with Pete in this rocking new story from the creators of the bestselling Pete the Cat books.
Published May 1st 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
21st out of 322 books — 151 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
46th out of 286 books — 125 voters

More lists with this book...

"It’s all good!"

Oh, how I love this coooool cat and his groovy laid-back ways!

Bright blues, yellow, and red rule the pages in Pete’s world. Pulling readers in page by page with vibrant color and pure soul soothing energy and attitude. The simplicity of Pete’s life lesson and message will hit readers of all ages with a smile. Mr. Litwin is a master at sneaking right up on his readers with an “isn’t-that-the-truth” message to live by.

Pete will add an extra bounce in your step, lighten the load on...more
Erin
I always forget to mark picture books as "read!" I've used this one several times in storytimes, most recently a couple of weeks ago.

It's my favorite Pete the Cat book, other than the original--and sometimes I think I might even like this one better!

In addition to the wonderful refrain, I like that there are a lot of details to notice in the pictures than aren't necessarily mentioned in the text--the color of the buttons, the different settings where Pete goes, etc. I enjoy pointing those out i...more
Donalyn
I saw Eric and James perform this book at the Dublin Literacy conference and I could hear them in my head while I was reading it. Fun book with a good message.
Teri
Jul 15, 2014 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teri by: Caryn
I am new to this series. Had never heard of these books. Thanks Caryn for the introduction and telling me about the song. So cute. You can find on youtube. I played the video/song for our 4 year old, she was captivated, then I read the book. She loved it. I heard her in another room singing the catchy tune. I love the counting and subtraction in the book as well as not crying when buttons pop off a shirt,etc. "Do we cry? Goodness no! Buttons come and buttons go." Words to live by.;) A good philo...more
Karen
My almost-five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

My son ADORES Pete the Cat, and here is why:

1. Before I even finished reading this book through for the first time, my son had taken over the story and got it pretty much spot-on.

2. Pete the Cat is Cooooool. He doesn't get flustered when things go wrong, and when you are almost five and learning to be independent, things can go wrong very often.

3. Pete the Cat is funny. He just is.

4. Pete the Cat is a sharp, but sill...more
Katrina Dombrowsky
My toddler crowd and their older siblings love Pete the Cat! They sang along with me each time Pete sang his song, and many shouted "No!" when I asked, "Did Pete cry?" Definitely a fun read-aloud.
Jim Erekson
As a pop phenomenon, I can see why this could take off, become kind of viral.

As a concept book on simple subtraction, it works. The cat's "it's all good" attitude and standard coolness provides some subtle humor as he loses his buttons in random settings. Overall there's not much here. The return to the refrain, the song, provides a decent moment for imagining what the tune would be like and how it would sound being sung instead of read as prose.

But then I see that they want me to download the...more
Lu Benke
Don't really need to be on the lookout for great books to use with 2's and 3's in storytimes, but somehow I keep looking for them anyhow. And this is definitely one! Even has a nod to content literacy with subtraction a major theme. But it's the bright, clear colors, repetitive language and irrepressible optimistic cat that will make the kids like this. They won't mind the cool things Pete's doing either--e.g., skateboarding and surfing. And, I can just see the satisfied look on their faces when...more
Shakeema Gabriel
I love the Pete the Cat series!!!!! This book shows you can still be happy about life no matter the obstacles you go through. You could teach colors as well as numbers in this book. This would be a nice art and crags project.
Eyehavenofilter
Button, button, Pete's got buttons, Pete's looses buttons, does he get upset? Nope. He's ok with it.
This is such a colorful book , full of fun and carefree attitude. Kids learn subtraction, and a way to deal with loss in a positive way.
Not everything is the end of the world as we know it, and Pete has a great way of showing kids that not everything has to be taken as a crushing blow. I kinda' like that. Children learn how to deal with things from a very early age, this is a positive step in ho...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I LOVE this book! It makes me happy. Basically Pete the Cat has a shirt with four groovy buttons. And he goes around and we can sing the song of

"My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons."

Then a button pops off. Of course Pete the Cat isn't upset about what happens. He just goes around singing about his "three" (or less) buttons. And what happens at the end...that is just perfectly amusing!

This is going on a storytime list in the near future (in whatever theme I can fit it into next). Lik...more
Bethany Mcguirk
Dean, J., & Litwin, E. (2012). Pete the cat and his four groovy buttons. New York, NY: HarperCollins.

Counting
2013 Geisel Award Honor Book

The illustrations in this picture book are bright and contrasting, which is what initially garnered my interest in this book. I also love the choice of text font; it comes across as comical, laid-back, and handwritten, making the book appear more fun and less threatening to its audience. At first glance, one might not think this story is going to integrate...more
Kristine Mathias
This is a groovy book about Pete the Cat losing all of his groovy buttons. It's fully of song and rhythm, predictions lessons about keeping a positive attitude. My favorite of all of the Pete the Cat books. Perfect for many classroom lessons.

Eric Litwin incorporates song into his storybooks. He also preforms his books live for children. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a Theodor Geisel Seuss Honor...more
Salima Sikandar
This is one of my favorite book. The story is so simple with lot of energy and rhyming words. This book simply shows the concept of subtraction in an amazing way. Colors are so bright and pictures are so interesting that could keep children interest at great extent. Children can take active part while reading this book with great interest and energy.

About the Author:
This book is written by Eric Litwin. He is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of g...more
Laurie
Michele
Are you an instructor who wants to maximize your teaching and learning time with cross-curricular activities? This is a great book for students just learning about subtraction or addition. While building literacy skills, it also illustrates the subtraction process with lots of vivid colors and a really groovy cat. It includes a song for those who are musically motivated. The ending provides the surprising bonus of a valuable moral for students to ponder.
Audience: primary
genre: fiction -fantasy
Danielle
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture -- comedy
Book Share:

Love a fun book that you can interact with? Or maybe sing a song? This book is about Pete the Cat with some groovy buttons--but something goes wrong. Pete has to keep a positive attitude while things tend to go wrong.

If you like the previous Pete the Cat books or a good dose of humor, you'll love Pete the Cat and is Four Groovy Buttons. Pete's groovy buttons have a mishap--what does Pete do? And what does he find out in the end?
Emily
Audience: Primary-Math Theme
Genre: Picture Book-Math-Comedy
Book Share: Have you ever had a shirt you loved, but it kept falling apart? Well this happens to Pete, in the book Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. Pete doesn't get upset though, goodness no! He keeps movin' on. If you like songs, counting, and cats with buttons, you are sure to love this book. Read this book to find out what happens when Pete loses ALL his buttons.
Martiah Rall
Pete the cat has a shirt with four big, colorful, round, groovy buttons on it. As he goes throughout his day getting ice cream, riding his skateboard, and going to the beach he stays positive after losing buttons. Always singing and moving on with his day he reminds everyone that things come and go.

I think this is a great book to read to elementary aged children to teach them both about staying positive and optimistic and also as a math review. The illustrator does a really good job with display...more
Jen
My students are in LOVE with Pete the Cat, so know matter what story it is of his, they adore it! I played the song along with it from HarperCollins Childrens and that stays in your head for a long, long time! My 1st graders were walking out of the library singing, "My buttons! My buttons! My four groovy buttons!" :-)
Lauren
This is the first "Pete the Cat" book I have read to my son and it won't be the last! We received it as a gift and our son loves the bright and bold illustrations and the button song is a big hit as well. The story delivers a lovely message and it's a fun one to read over and over again.
Allie
This story is about a cat who puts on his favorite shirt with four groovy buttons. Throughout the story his buttons pop off his shirt and it has you count how many buttons are left after each one popped off. This story is so cute because after every button that pops off there is a little song. It is very repetitive so the kids can sing along with it. It also teaches the kids a lesson. Pete the cat doesn’t cry when his buttons pop off because buttons come and buttons go. This teaches the kids tha...more
Heather
Love the message and the illustrations, and most importantly, the song! My buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons! Most kids I know adore this one.
Shanshad Whelan
Not bad. This was so much better than the second Pete the Cat book. It kept more to the tone of the original book with an easy refrain to remember and repeat. While it's not quite as good as the first, I think it's a fairly strong presentation.
Emilia
This book is hilarious, but add to it the youtube promo and I just die every time I read it to my almost-two-year-old (which is a lot, btw). I love the zen-like message ("buttons come and buttons go") and the introduction of simple subtraction.
Michelle Nero
Ok, I have to admit when I first read this I tried singing Pete's song with the "old" tune and it just didn't work. But did I cry? Goodness, no! I just went to the internet and listened to Eric sing Pete's song. Buttons come and buttons go!
Cari Williams
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy buttons is a classroom and child favorite! This book is part of a series and follows a cat named Pete though adventures. This particular one is about a coat that Pete has and he starts to lose buttons on it. This book would be great to use to intro into a math lesson because as Pete loses buttons he says how many he has left by using subtraction. This book also had a rhythm to it that everyone does in a different way. Some read it in song form and others just rea...more
Keri Douglas
Litwin, E. (2012). Pete the cat and his four groovy buttons. New York: HarperCollins.

Pete the cat has a problem. He keeps losing the buttons off of his shirt. When a button falls off, Pete does not cry. He just keeps singing his button song. Pete knows that things will come and things will go. He just keeps his cool!

There is repetition in the writing making this a book that could build fluency with 1st and 2nd graders. This could also be used in a kindergarten math class introducing subtraction....more
Ekassel
Feb 23, 2014 Ekassel added it
Shelves: 642-shelf
Genre: I Can Read

Age: PreK/Kindergarten

Summary: Pete the Cat wears his favorite shirt, and gradually loses the buttons off his shirt.

Curriculum Connection: This book can teach math (counting the buttons / subtraction). It's also a good lesson on not crying over little things, like buttons.

Personal Reaction: I've read Pete the Cat books before, but this one. I liked these books because of the repetitive songs and phrases that kids can learn and predict. I also liked the added math aspect in thi...more
Lorna
Love Pete! You must absolutely find the song and listen while you read along. I love the message about just rolling with it and not getting phased by the bummer stuff.

Picture Book Favo...: Pete the Cat 1 7 Aug 03, 2013 05:10PM
Book Sliders: Pete the Cat (And His Four Groovy Buttons) by Eric Litwin {May 2013} 1 3 May 22, 2013 03:44PM
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Boy and Bot
  • Red Sled
  • Chopsticks
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The...more
More about Eric Litwin...
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes Pete the Cat Saves Christmas The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House Pete the Cat Pack: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes; Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes

“Did Pete cry? Goodness no. Buttons come, and buttons go.” 8 likes