Start by marking “Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.” as Want to Read:
Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

Karen Peterson presents a way to beat writer's block in 10 days. Based on new brain research and psychological principles, her method shows writers how to conquer their handicap using exercises, techniques, checklists and parallel monologue.
Published May 11th 2006 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

Andrea
Jun 05, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
I bought this book back in 2009 and read it a little, but then got bored. So, this month, I decided to try again and started from the beginning. I'll admit, some things the author wrote were interesting, but the dominant hand/non-dominant hand exercises were overdone and pointless to me. I mean, I had the same answers -- maybe it's because I already know that I'm both-brained. Anyway, there was nothing in it that actually helped me at all. Duh, I don't have to write in chronological order. Duh, ...more
Tope
Sep 05, 2011 Tope rated it liked it
The right brain/left brain stuff is more than a little woo woo and is rather annoying as the main framework for Peterson's advice on working through writer's block. Answering questions with my dominant and then nondominant hand gave me the same or almost identical answers on most of the exercises I bothered with. But there's useful information in here about the kinds of attitudes and mindsets that contribute to writer's block, on task and mood management, self-care, etc. It would be nice if the ...more
Tani
Jan 20, 2010 Tani rated it it was ok
I didn't really buy the 'Communicate with your right brain by writing with your nondominant hand' thing, and since that's what the book is based on, clearly it wasn't a great choice for me. It did have some good advice, but very little that I feel would be helpful to me.
JSA Lowe
May 11, 2012 JSA Lowe rated it it was ok
Definitely for fiction writers and not poets. Can be adapted, but with some difficulty.
Ana Raffali
Nov 17, 2013 Ana Raffali rated it really liked it
Brain science is definitely a subject that I love to explore, especially if it involves subtopics that are closer to home such as writing. If you're looking for a book that explains your indecisiveness towards accomplishing writing or other tasks in your daily lives, this might be it.

The most important principle that I got from this book that I think was well worth the buy is the simple fact that you have the option to engage in two sets of thinking that could definitely put a spin to your writ
Anna Boudinot
Jan 23, 2008 Anna Boudinot rated it really liked it
Though some of the writing occasionally veers toward the pedantic, Peterson effectively makes the following points:

A- The right and the left brain of the writer are constantly in conflict. The right brain wants to be free and creative, while the left brain wants to be able to complete tasks swiftly and efficiently. Since it's impossible to satiate both halves at the same time, many writers instead freeze, writing nothing.

B- Most writers do not have unlimited time and resources to write. Work, fa
Grace
Jan 23, 2012 Grace rated it it was ok
So, I think this book makes some good points, but it lost me somewhere in the middle. I really liked the first few chapters, where it delved into the chemistry of procrastination. I understand why I procrastinate, most the time it's because I would rather do something more fun or relaxing, other times it comes down to intimidation and a loss for where to start. But this book goes to the root of those feelings and gets into the chemistry of the central nervous system. It was enlightening. And for ...more
David Earle
Sep 26, 2012 David Earle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Write is focused on conquering writer's block, with a heavy focus on the conflict between the logical left brain and the emotional right brain. Basically, Karen Peterson focuses on techniques to convince your right brain to stop sabotaging your efforts to write.

It's an unusual approach to the problem, and Peterson offers some good insights into the reasons a writer might be blocked. You'll probably recognize some excuse you've used not to write before, unless you're totally awesome or something
Susan
Jun 22, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
There are few books that I wanted to like better, and while this one is definitely in that category, it fails so horribly that it's amazing that's it's around at all. I guess that there is some truth in the statement that books are written not to be read, or used, but sold.

First off, her previous and first book, On Procrastination, is far better and follows the same exact format. I'm just about finishing that one up.

Second and the real problem in the book, she is good at analysis but poor on
Aridawn
2016 Popsugar Reading Challenge: A Self-improvement book

I think it is still to be seen how well this book works for me. I'm not exactly sold on the whole idea of writing with my left hand for my right brain and vice versa. I don't think my brain is that separate. I think I mostly faked it.

I think "talking" to my right brain actually does help. I was able to pinpoint my anxiety a couple times. It reminds me a lot cognitive behavior therapy.

A lot of her encouragement felt helpful. The (seemingly)
Catherine
Oct 30, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it
This book sat on my shelf for a whole year before I began reading this last month. What a waste of time too. I thought this book was all about writer's block and I didn't believe I ever had writer's block. What I learned while reading this book was I did have writer's block just by a different label. It was a good awakening process.

The author did go too much into writing with the dominant hand and nondominant hand exercises. I did skip a few of these.

All in all, this book is a must read for anyo
Angelica Gonzales
May 03, 2013 Angelica Gonzales rated it it was ok
The title of the book caught my interest. As I started reading the first two chapters of the book, I felt like “I want to finish it overnight”. But as I go on, I noticed that it was more of brain physiology, the left brain versus the right and dominant hand versus the non dominant. There comes a time that I unintentionally skip the dominant vs. non dominant hand activity. I don’t know if it’s because I am not a writer, just a hopeful one, that’s why I didn't appreciate it that well.
I like the
Megan
May 11, 2012 Megan rated it did not like it
The thing about writing books is that one should really take time to research the book before buying it. What is it really about? Will it be helpful? If possible, get your hands on a copy of the book before taking the purchase plunge. These are not things I asked myself, and this is not an action I performed, before I purchased "Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period." Which is a shame when you consider the fact that I did not buy this book online but in a bookstore. I've consulted th ...more
Jackie
Jan 21, 2008 Jackie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with Writers Block!
An interesting take on the role of right/left sides of the brain in the writing process, and their completely disjointed independence from each other. Lots of actual brain-testing exercises. It's refreshing to hear the author emphasize that you don't need to devote huge chunks of time to writing, but she advocates devoting small, reasonable amounts of time to writing, fit in with the rest of your day. This is something I do already and it was a nice validation.

One detraction: The plan she sets u
Ali M.
Dec 20, 2010 Ali M. rated it it was ok
Sadly, this was a blind buy that just didn't work out. The book is mostly about the science of brain patterns, and how that plays in to writer's block. While I don't doubt the research, and was certainly fascinated by some of it, I ultimately think that writer's block can be explained (and dealt with) in much plainer terms than the ones found here. It's an emotional and psychological problem. Yes, brain chemistry does affect both of those things, but I can talk about my insecurities and mental o ...more
Amanda
Feb 03, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with writer's block
If you are looking for a book that is just full of information to help you get over writers block but is also a dull and boring read that makes you not want to continue reading. You have the wrong book. Yup.
This book was nothing like other writing books that I have read. Yes it is pact full of tips and examples, but NO, it is NOT boring. The tips are very helpful, the example stories are funny. And overall the way the book is delivered is humorous. This book had me laughing in parts.
I would say
Sara
Sep 18, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing, read-in-2011
Misleading title. Not a bad book-- the brain research was interesting and can be applicable to many, I'm sure, but it reads like it's a mix between a therapy session and a psych textbook. It assumes your writer's block is strictly due to personal or mental or physical issues, and not because of the writing itself. Disappointed...
Dylan Agosta
Jun 08, 2016 Dylan Agosta rated it it was ok
This book is 10 years old and I bought it when it was new but never got into it. I found it in my old bedroom closet and decided to give it a go for real. Since the myth of the left-right brain has been fairly debunked, it makes this book seem irrelevant (since the left-right argument is what this book works heavily off of). I found that it didn't work for me.
Sidra
I didn't get the whole left brain/right brain exercises--meaning, I didn't find anything different depending upon the hand I used to write with. I wanted to like this book--writing AND science?! But felt it fell short of its promise.
Titus Hjelm
Jul 29, 2011 Titus Hjelm rated it it was ok
Looking at the reviews below, I can understand how this book divides people. For the truly interested, there is a nice touch of popularised science here, but the 'liberating' exercises did not work for me at all. Not the worst book on writing, but definitely not the bag of tricks it promises to be.
Becky
Sep 02, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
It's helpful to realize you can be of many minds about a goal or task, such as writing, and if those minds disagree, there's more than just tension there; there may also be the inner argument that keeps you stuck. Good quick read.
Marjorie
Mar 02, 2014 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I remember when I read this book a few years ago that I was about to keep a journal for a full year writing everyday. I remember it being very effective.
T English
Dec 17, 2011 T English rated it did not like it
This book was full of right brain/left brain, creative/logical brain pseudo-science. It provided me a ton of theories but no real tools. It was a frustrating and extremely dry and boring read.
Alan Livingston
Alan Livingston rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Bob Gill
Bob Gill rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Melissa H.
Melissa H. rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2010
Max Gordon
Max Gordon rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
L
L rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • The Virginia Woolf Writers' Workshop: Seven Lessons to Inspire Great Writing
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Time to Write: Professional writers reveal how to fit writing into your busy life
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference: An Indispensable Compendium of Myth and Magic
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters