Start by marking “Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.” as Want to Read:
Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Sound familiar? This is what Dr. Karen E. Petersen - who has overcome writer's block herself - calls "the write-or-flight response." In this revolutionary book, psychologist and novelist Karen E. Peterson presents an easy, effective way to beat writer's block in only ten days. Based on new brain research and sound psychological principles, this innovative program shows wri ...more
Published May 11th 2006 by Adams Media

Be the first to ask a question about Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

Andrea
I bought this book back in 2009 and read it a little, but then got bored. So, this month, I decided to try again and started from the beginning. I'll admit, some things the author wrote were interesting, but the dominant hand/non-dominant hand exercises were overdone and pointless to me. I mean, I had the same answers -- maybe it's because I already know that I'm both-brained. Anyway, there was nothing in it that actually helped me at all. Duh, I don't have to write in chronological order. Duh, ...more
Tope
The right brain/left brain stuff is more than a little woo woo and is rather annoying as the main framework for Peterson's advice on working through writer's block. Answering questions with my dominant and then nondominant hand gave me the same or almost identical answers on most of the exercises I bothered with. But there's useful information in here about the kinds of attitudes and mindsets that contribute to writer's block, on task and mood management, self-care, etc. It would be nice if the ...more
Tani
I didn't really buy the 'Communicate with your right brain by writing with your nondominant hand' thing, and since that's what the book is based on, clearly it wasn't a great choice for me. It did have some good advice, but very little that I feel would be helpful to me.
JSA Lowe
Definitely for fiction writers and not poets. Can be adapted, but with some difficulty.
Grace
So, I think this book makes some good points, but it lost me somewhere in the middle. I really liked the first few chapters, where it delved into the chemistry of procrastination. I understand why I procrastinate, most the time it's because I would rather do something more fun or relaxing, other times it comes down to intimidation and a loss for where to start. But this book goes to the root of those feelings and gets into the chemistry of the central nervous system. It was enlightening. And for ...more
Rena Silverman
Mar 15, 2008 Rena Silverman is currently reading it
Synopsis
"Writers are notorious for using any reason to keep from working: over-researching, retyping, going to meetings, waxing the floors-anything."
-Gloria Steinem
Sound familiar? This is what Dr. Karen E. Peterson-who has overcome writer's block herself-calls "the write-or-flight response." In this revolutionary book, psychologist and novelist Karen E. Peterson presents an easy, effective way to beat writer's block in only ten days. Based on new brain research and sound psychological principles
Ana Raffali
Brain science is definitely a subject that I love to explore, especially if it involves subtopics that are closer to home such as writing. If you're looking for a book that explains your indecisiveness towards accomplishing writing or other tasks in your daily lives, this might be it.

The most important principle that I got from this book that I think was well worth the buy is the simple fact that you have the option to engage in two sets of thinking that could definitely put a spin to your writ
Catherine
This book sat on my shelf for a whole year before I began reading this last month. What a waste of time too. I thought this book was all about writer's block and I didn't believe I ever had writer's block. What I learned while reading this book was I did have writer's block just by a different label. It was a good awakening process.

The author did go too much into writing with the dominant hand and nondominant hand exercises. I did skip a few of these.

All in all, this book is a must read for anyo
Anna Boudinot
Though some of the writing occasionally veers toward the pedantic, Peterson effectively makes the following points:

A- The right and the left brain of the writer are constantly in conflict. The right brain wants to be free and creative, while the left brain wants to be able to complete tasks swiftly and efficiently. Since it's impossible to satiate both halves at the same time, many writers instead freeze, writing nothing.

B- Most writers do not have unlimited time and resources to write. Work, fa
Angelica Gonzales
The title of the book caught my interest. As I started reading the first two chapters of the book, I felt like “I want to finish it overnight”. But as I go on, I noticed that it was more of brain physiology, the left brain versus the right and dominant hand versus the non dominant. There comes a time that I unintentionally skip the dominant vs. non dominant hand activity. I don’t know if it’s because I am not a writer, just a hopeful one, that’s why I didn't appreciate it that well.
I like the
Megan
The thing about writing books is that one should really take time to research the book before buying it. What is it really about? Will it be helpful? If possible, get your hands on a copy of the book before taking the purchase plunge. These are not things I asked myself, and this is not an action I performed, before I purchased "Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period." Which is a shame when you consider the fact that I did not buy this book online but in a bookstore. I've consulted th ...more
Jackie
Feb 17, 2008 Jackie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with Writers Block!
An interesting take on the role of right/left sides of the brain in the writing process, and their completely disjointed independence from each other. Lots of actual brain-testing exercises. It's refreshing to hear the author emphasize that you don't need to devote huge chunks of time to writing, but she advocates devoting small, reasonable amounts of time to writing, fit in with the rest of your day. This is something I do already and it was a nice validation.

One detraction: The plan she sets u
Amanda
Feb 03, 2011 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with writer's block
If you are looking for a book that is just full of information to help you get over writers block but is also a dull and boring read that makes you not want to continue reading. You have the wrong book. Yup.
This book was nothing like other writing books that I have read. Yes it is pact full of tips and examples, but NO, it is NOT boring. The tips are very helpful, the example stories are funny. And overall the way the book is delivered is humorous. This book had me laughing in parts.
I would say
Ali M.
Sadly, this was a blind buy that just didn't work out. The book is mostly about the science of brain patterns, and how that plays in to writer's block. While I don't doubt the research, and was certainly fascinated by some of it, I ultimately think that writer's block can be explained (and dealt with) in much plainer terms than the ones found here. It's an emotional and psychological problem. Yes, brain chemistry does affect both of those things, but I can talk about my insecurities and mental o ...more
Sara
Misleading title. Not a bad book-- the brain research was interesting and can be applicable to many, I'm sure, but it reads like it's a mix between a therapy session and a psych textbook. It assumes your writer's block is strictly due to personal or mental or physical issues, and not because of the writing itself. Disappointed...
Titus Hjelm
Looking at the reviews below, I can understand how this book divides people. For the truly interested, there is a nice touch of popularised science here, but the 'liberating' exercises did not work for me at all. Not the worst book on writing, but definitely not the bag of tricks it promises to be.
Sidra
I didn't get the whole left brain/right brain exercises--meaning, I didn't find anything different depending upon the hand I used to write with. I wanted to like this book--writing AND science?! But felt it fell short of its promise.
T English
This book was full of right brain/left brain, creative/logical brain pseudo-science. It provided me a ton of theories but no real tools. It was a frustrating and extremely dry and boring read.
Tedi31
interesting
Vanessa
Giddeup.
Shazzie
Shazzie marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Eva
Eva added it
May 19, 2015
Katia Savchuk
Katia Savchuk marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Raven Hymn
Raven Hymn marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Katherine Clark
Katherine Clark is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
Charlene Boyce
Charlene Boyce marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Time to Write: Professional writers reveal how to fit writing into your busy life
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
The Write Type: Discover Your True Writer's Identity and Create a Customized Writing Plan Write.: 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period. Aids Prevention And Treatment: Hope, Humor, And Healing Planet Health: An Interdisciplinary Curriculum for Teaching Middle School Nutrition and Physical Activity [With CDROM]