Start by marking “Almonds and Raisins” as Want to Read:
Almonds and Raisins

Almonds and Raisins (Almonds and Raisins #1)

The first in a trilogy about a Jewish family who flee Eastern Europe in the early 20th century and settle in Manchester, England.

In the cold world of Manchester in 1905 the family Sandberg found the good things of life scarce and the hardships bitter as the chill northern winds.

Sarah, the mother. A born survivor stranded in a land of strangers by the vicious tides of perse
Published January 1st 1991 by HarperPaperbacks (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Almonds and Raisins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almonds and Raisins

The Joy Luck Club by Amy TanThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe House on Mango Street by Sandra CisnerosInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Immigrant Experience Literature
406th out of 625 books — 1,015 voters
The Crystal Cave by Mary StewartPenmarric by Susan HowatchShadow of the Moon by M.M. KayeA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithThe Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart
Historical Gems from the Past
226th out of 342 books — 386 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesley Arrowsmith
Dec 22, 2012 Lesley Arrowsmith rated it liked it
I grew up roughly in the same area that is described in this book. That's why I read it, for the local history of Manchester, and to find out something more about why there is such a big Jewish community in Manchester. One of the best things about it was that I could go and discuss the story with my gran, who lived through the same times as the book, and was actually a "Sabbath goy" for one of her neighbours. She remembered it being just like the book.
I recommend it highly, and the sequels, to
Fi
Jan 21, 2011 Fi rated it really liked it
Reading this gave me an idea of what it must have been like for Jews fleeing the Russian pogrom, & the origins of the Manchester 'rag trade'; it also gave me far more insight into the practices & beliefs of the Jewish faith. Great book: I was delighted when I discovered it was the first of a trilogy - although in fact it turned out to also be the best book of the trilogy.
Joanie
Feb 05, 2011 Joanie rated it it was amazing
Almonds & Raisins, Scattered Seed & Children's Children a trilogy about a Jewish family who flee Eastern Europe in the turn of the century and settle in Manchester England.
They are three of the best books I have ever read. My Husbands side of the family are Jewish and my late mother in law gave me the first one to read, as she would pass books on to me. she had good taste.
Susan sm
Sep 04, 2008 Susan sm rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like being welcomed home.
Lu Newman
Jan 28, 2015 Lu Newman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Almonds and Raisins is about a Jewish family who fled from persecution in Russia, sacrificing everything, to live in Manchester in the UK.

This first book of the trilogy maps the journey they made to re-establish their lives in England at the beginning of the 20th Century. The conditions they suffered just so they would be able to live in safety. What strikes you about this tale right at the beginning of the book, is the sense of community between the Jews. The main family and many like them, fl
Candy Sparks
Dec 24, 2013 Candy Sparks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I have been telling my book worm friends lately that I am tired of the romeo and juliet themed stories or the stories that the main character finds out she/HE has some new powers... you know how the rest reads. I was leary on what to read next because I needed a book with real issues and problems. I needed a novel that would give me sorrow and happiness.

This was the perfect book for my reader soul. I was not dissapointed with this book at all. There are many characters that you fall so in love
Beth
Oct 01, 2016 Beth added it
Jews emigrating to England during the day 1900's faced assimilation and a whole new way of life. The story centers around the Sandberg and Moritz families. Two generations intertwine in love and friendship. Sarah is the strong matriarch still rooted in traditions and ways of life that quickly become antiquated. We follow each of her children as she guides them through their lives. They each first d their own form of happiness and despair. Fabulous detail and rich characters fill this ...more
Janet
May 08, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
I found this in a Free Little Library in a largely Jewish neighborhood and I was intrigued. I grew up with many New York Jews but I knew nothing of the Jewish experience in England. The writing is not the best and the plot devices are very obvious, but it was easy to put those things aside and just enjoy the story and learn a little bit of what is was like to be those people in that time and in that place. And the Yiddish was fun to remember. I will try to track down the other books in the ...more
Hermien
Dec 27, 2014 Hermien rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
I enjoyed the historical background and the description of Jewish life and immigrant experience. The writer does not seem to have a favourite character so you don’t get to know any of them really well but an overall pleasant read.
Maggie Anton
Jan 29, 2016 Maggie Anton rated it really liked it
I liked this book on the whole, but I didn't really like any of the characters. It was a fascinating family saga with some excellent description of the Jewish immigrant experience in early 20th century England, but I wasn't engaged enough by the characters to care what happened to them.
April Asuncion
Jun 17, 2012 April Asuncion rated it it was ok
I think the whole plot's a little too discouraging. It's a little to sad and negative. I thought it was gonna be an overall happy plot. The writing is complex, and the whole story involves a whole or two generations. So it all seemed too long and uneventful.
Peggy
Aug 03, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
I have read this book, and series, several times, and still some of my favorites. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys novels about family, love and sacrifice.
Susan Hollins
Susan Hollins rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Stacey Cohen
Stacey Cohen rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2014
Debs Lock
Debs Lock rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Lisa Wheatley
Lisa Wheatley rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Caryn
Caryn rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Lauren Burnhill
Lauren Burnhill rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Kerry Robinson
Kerry Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Joanne Levy
Joanne Levy rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Tricia McConville
Tricia McConville rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Alison Kershaw
Alison Kershaw rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2008
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
May 19, 2010
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Family Orchard: A Novel
  • Songs for the Butcher's Daughter
  • The Dyke and the Dybbuk
  • Baxter, the Pig Who Wanted to Be Kosher
  • Hungering for America: Italian, Irish, and Jewish Foodways in the Age of Migration
  • The Testament: A novel
  • God Was in This Place and I, I Did Not Know
  • Daughters of Iraq
  • Bloody Foreigners: The Story of Immigration to Britain
  • The Balfour Declaration: The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
Maisie Mosco was born as Maisie Gottlieb. Her parents were of Latvian Jewish and Viennese Jewish descent, and both emigrated to England around 1900.

She left school at the age of 14 to help in the family business. At the age of 18 she joined the ATS and at the end of World War II was helping to teach illiterate soldiers how to read. After the war, she edited the Jewish Gazette, and subsequently wr
More about Maisie Mosco...

Almonds and Raisins (5 books)
  • Scattered Seed