Start by marking “Yuck, a Love Story” as Want to Read:
Yuck, a Love Story

Yuck, a Love Story

Every great romance begins with Yuck, a Love Story. Austin_s life is perfect until Amy moves in next door. He doesn_t understand why a girl has to live beside him, or why girls have to live anywhere for that matter. Despite having no use for Amy, Austin seems to be strangely affected by every comment she makes and everything about her - right down to the bows on her shoes. ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Yuck, a Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yuck, a Love Story

Kirah Marshall
Sep 09, 2016 Kirah Marshall rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Austin is happy with life until a girl moves next door. YUCK. He thinks girls are YUCK. His mother insists he goes to her house and welcome her to the neighborhood. He goes but isn't really nice to her. He goes to see her every day and tells her random facts and thinks she's gross and stupid when she doesn't know what he's talking about. Then Austin is invited to Amy's (the girl neighbor) birthday party. He decides that he is going to get the moon for her for her birthday. He catches it with ...more
Dawn
Feb 15, 2017 Dawn rated it really liked it
A perfect story for Valentine's Day! We have been focusing on friendship and so this one worked well too. My students were captivated by the story. It made total sense to them that one could lasso the moon and that it would taste terrible like blue cheese. After all, it has been around for a long time.

The jacket claims it is a romance. It is pretty subtle, if it was meant to be a romance. I'd say it's more simply focused on friendship. The trip around the world didn't phase them either.

I got to
Vanessa Peavy
Feb 23, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
Boys and girls alike think love is just gross at an early age. But somehow even though its yucky, love just happens. I liked this beacuse of the simpleness of it. I was able to connect to this book because I enjoy love in the simplest ways. Like my students in my placement that who tell me they like my earrings, my children drawing me a picture or my husband getting a milkshake on his way home. For Austin Grouper, he showed his love for Amy by going through high and lows to bring her the moon, l ...more
Amy
May 03, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Meh, it was ok. Nothing to write home about. My nephew spent a lot of time trying to figure out how in the world you could lasso the moon with a rope, and my niece spent a lot of time being offended that Austin was rude toward Amy. I don't know, do little boys still act this way toward little girls that they like? My niece has a lot of friends who are boys, and they don't seem to be offensive when expressing themselves to her, which is great!
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2010 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everybody-books
A girl, Amy, moves in next door to Austin. He tries to impress her, when she isn't impressed he insults her. I thought it contained unrealistic behavior for children.
Paula
Apr 23, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
A simple but funny story about Austin who has a new neighbor; a girl. he tries to impress her although he is not sure why because he does not like girls.
Alison Coffey
Oct 17, 2008 Alison Coffey rated it really liked it
A non traditional love story about a little boy and the new neighbor girl and a moon made of bleu cheese. Lovely.
Dee
Jul 17, 2011 Dee rated it liked it
This was so sweet. I would have liked it more if they had specified that Austin imagined that he lassoed the moon for Amy, but it was still cute. Really cute.
Jamie Forrest
Nov 21, 2010 Jamie Forrest rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't enjoy this book. It is a cute premise, but the trip around the world seemed totally out of place to the rest of the story.
Belle Bee
Belle Bee rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
Kate Johnson
Kate Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Amanda Skinner
Amanda Skinner rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2009
Suze Lapierre
Suze Lapierre rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Elisabeth Ellington
Elisabeth Ellington rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Sevan
Sevan rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Lindsay Nichols
Lindsay Nichols rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2011
Yasmine
Yasmine rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2008
Amanda Lyons
Amanda Lyons rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2010
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Grazyna Krupa
Grazyna Krupa rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Gilliauna
Gilliauna rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2007
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
George
George rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Gregory Walters
Gregory Walters rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2008
Searley
Searley rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Carolyne
Carolyne rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Author and journalist Don Gillmor was born in Fort Frances, Ontario in 1959 and presently lives in Toronto, Ontario. Don possesses a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from the University of Calgary. He has worked for publisher John Wiley & Sons, and has written for a number of magazines including Rolling Stone, GQ, Premiere, and Saturday Night.; where he was made a contributing edi ...more
More about Don Gillmor...