Start by marking “How to Fossilize Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments for the Armchair Scientist” as Want to Read:

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Outrageously entertaining and educational experiments from the team behind the phenomenal international bestseller Does Anything Eat Wasps?

How can you measure the speed of light with a bar of chocolate and a microwave oven? To keep a banana from decaying, are you better off rubbing it with lemon juice or refrigerating it? How can you figure out how much your head weighs? M
Published January 22nd 2008 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Fossilize Your Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Fossilize Your Hamster

Monica!
I can’t legitimately give this book any stars (although I will!), because I haven’t technically read the whole thing. In a tragic turn of events, my fiancé caught me in the bathroom trying out experiment “BA[N]G,” where you mix baking soda and vinegar in a bag and the bag explodes with an incredibly loud noise and sprays baking soda and vinegar all over your apartment, and told me I had to return the book to the library before I caused any more disasters.

Pout.

But! From what I *did* manage to r
Nikki
Another New Scientist book, this one focused on experiments you can carry out at home. I'm sure I've read similar things in the other New Scientist book, but it's a fun collection anyway. My favourite thing was learning that you can separate out the iron from iron-fortified cereals using a magnet. Veeeery tempted to try that, though I'm not sure I have any strong enough magnets.
Ria
A wonderful book written in the same vein as the other titles in the New scientist series.
But this is done with a difference, this volume is aimed at encouraging readers to actually try out the theories and experiments at home so in a lot of cases some of the things put forward HAS been covered in some of the other books but have been slightly adapted for people to try in their own homes.
Broken down into handy sections of the kitchen, the study, things to do in the garden etc this book has some
M.G. Mason
This, the third in the collection of New Scientist books, focuses not so much on responding to letters sent into the magazine of those odd scientific queries and compiling them into a volume with comprehensive answers, but on the more practical aspects of what you can learn for yourself. It is a book of experiments based on queries they magazine has received.

The experiments are of course straightforward and encourage you to recreate every day phenomena. Because of this, it is not so much a book
Carl Wescott
This book is brilliant!

Or at least it appears to be from reading the experiments.

New Scientist magazine published the book, and it contains 78 experiments the armchair scientist can try at home with mostly easily available materials, to demonstrate scientific principles in action, the laws of physics, and in some cases, phenomena that are still not fully understood.

Here are videos of five of the experiments: http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC...

I've picked out my first eleven experiments t
Eric
Feb 17, 2008 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has kids and likes science
Shelves: trivia-etc
This is a fun little book full of easy experiments to try to prove different science related questions. Some of the questions include things like "How do you suck an egg into a bottle" or "Why does that mentos/diet coke thing work?" or "How to make science volcanoes" and more. The book if very easy to read and light-hearted with humor thrown in.

I found it informative and easy to read end to end without doing any of the experiments. I do plan to keep the book and do some of the experiments with
Rachel
Although some of the experiments were interesting I didn’t really feel myself wanting to rush out and try them. The back ground information associated with each of the different experiments and how they turn out and why is the part I found more interesting. It definitely didn’t hold my interest in the same way other New Scientist books like ‘Why Don’t Penguins Feet Freeze’ and ‘Do Polar Bears Ever Get Lonely’. The main redeeming feature was the shortness of each of the sections meaning it could ...more
Reds_reads
This book is from the same team that produced 'Does Anything Eat Wasps' and others, collections of readers questions featured in New Scientist magazine together with answers. It describes various experiments that can be done at home that answer some of these questions, or just illustrate them in an amusing or ingenious way. An awful lot of them seem to feature alcohol and/or fizzy drinks.

It was an entertaining read - informative and humorous - and has left me with a real desire to see just what
Shahrun
This book is brilliant! It had me amazed, laughing and educated my little brain. Pretty winning combination if you ask me! Next step is to try out some of the experiments! Oh and buy another copy of this book for my uncle (it was supposed to be his birthday present), because I need to keep this copy for future reference.

Note to Readers of Does Anything Eat Wasps & Why Don't Penguin's Feet Freeze - there is some repetition of subject matter (I just skimmed over those bits), so it may get bor
Beth
I bought this book mostly for the title experiment, but it's not so much an experiment as just finding the right conditions to prevent the dead hamster from being disturbed/eaten/destroyed and letting it sit for a long time. I thought there might be more to it than that. However, this book does tell you how to culture your own DNA using items commonly found in the household and how to measure the speed of light using chocolate.
Saurio Saurio
Un libro interesante y con experimentos divertidos. Lástima que la traducción al castellano tiene algunas palabras de uso común en España pero extrañas en Argentina y uno tiene que deducir qué corno necesita para hacer la experiencia, pero, bue, es lo de menos.
Ideal para enchastrar la cocina y desordenar el garage un sábado lluvioso con el hijo (o la hija o los plurales de ambos) de uno.
Ginnz
Dec 23, 2007 Ginnz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: arm chair scientists
Excellent. Loved every second of this book and it gives you experiements to do (as well as explains what happens and why) so I cant wait to try some of thses out.
Fossilising a hamster will take some organising tho!
Kate
Great read! Many hands-on science experiments about every day things. My favorite experiment: measuring the speed of light using a chocolate bar and your microwave. Awesome!
Bagger
Who doesn't want to know how to do the stuff in this book, from making your own wine(which is disgusting) to fossilizing your hamster, a must read for inquiring minds.
Xanthi
A book about home science experiments. I found myself slogging through parts of this book. Not quite as entertaining as I was hoping it would be.
Shahrun
Mar 30, 2012 Shahrun marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Angela
A book full of interesting science experiments you can perform with everyday household items, written in an amusing and easy to understand manner.
Kerry
Oct 25, 2010 Kerry marked it as dnf
Shelves: library, non-fiction, 2010
I just ran out of time before the book had to go back to the library. A danger of reading too many books at once, I guess. It was fun, what I read.
Nikos Skantzos
It's about how much fun science can be. It doesn't take sophisticated devices to see the most spectacular phenomena.
D.
How to Fossilise Your Hamster and Other Amazing Experiments for the Armchair Scientist by Mick O'Hare (2007)
Daniel
this book have some great experiments but others not so good
Pepquímic
Funny experiments you can perform at home.
James
James added it
Nov 26, 2014
  • Does Anything Eat Wasps?: And 101 Other Unsettling, Witty Answers to Questions You Never Thought You Wanted to Ask
  • Why Can't Elephants Jump?: And 101 Other Tantalising Science Questions
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • Why Do Buses Come in Threes: The Hidden Mathematics of Everyday Life
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Discarded Science: Ideas That Seemed Good at the Time...
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments
  • The Never-Ending Days of Being Dead: Dispatches from the Frontline of Science
  • Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies: And Other Pricing Puzzles
  • Where's My Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future That Never Arrived
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • The Language of Genes
  • The Geek Atlas
Mick O’Hare (* 1964 in Mirfield, England) is a British editor and writer who travels between the US and the UK.

Currently, he is an editor for New Scientist, the leading British weekly for science, writing among other things the "The Last Word" column of questions and answers. He edited Profile’s bestselling book "Does Anything Eat Wasps?" and its successors "Why Don’t Penguins’ Feet Freeze?" and "
More about Mick O'Hare...
Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions Does Anything Eat Wasps?: And 101 Other Unsettling, Witty Answers to Questions You Never Thought You Wanted to Ask Was macht die Mücke beim Wolkenbruch? Neue wunderbare Alltagsrätsel Warum fallen schlafende Vögel nicht vom Baum? Wunderbare Alltagsrätsel Wie man mit einem Schokoriegel die Lichtgeschwindigkeit misst und andere nützliche Experimente für den Hausgebrauch