Start by marking “Undergrounders” as Want to Read:
Undergrounders

Undergrounders

The most important thing was to eat. I hadn’t had a thing since yesterday before the game. Funny how important it had been, and now I couldn’t care less — I had way bigger problems than playing hockey with a bunch of idiots. I needed to hawk some money real bad.

Ever since his mom died, Jonathon has been on his own, living on the streets. The Underground gives him a place t
Published 2011 by Scholastic Canada

Ethan Dennis
Sep 07, 2015 Ethan Dennis rated it it was amazing
This is a book that i could not put down. This book is about a boy named Jonathan who became homeless after his mom died. He ended up finding this place called the underground which is a place for people like him to go for 50 cents a night, even though only the people who have been there new about it. One day he ended up walking into a closed hockey shop with tons of gear. He stole some equipment to play the sport he's always loved. While he was playing at the out door rink he found out that he ...more
Lena
Jan 05, 2015 Lena rated it it was amazing
"Undergrounders" is a Young adult novel by David Skuy. The story follows a young boy of 12 named Jonathan, after his mom dies,and the landlord kicks him out. He deals with daily struggles of loneliness and danger of the streets and worries of how he would survive the streets. Until he meets Lewis and he leads Jonathan to his new home, among groups of kids living in an abandoned underground shopping mall. Upon arriving at his new home he starts to run errands, delivers packages and panhandles for ...more
Aidan M
Mar 08, 2012 Aidan M rated it it was amazing
After reading the book Undergrounders by David Skuy,I really liked the book mostly becasue of the topic. The book was a about a boy named Jonathon and is 12 years old. Jonathon was on the streets on his own, living on the streets. The 'Underground' gave him a place to sleep. Jonathon has had a past of loving hockey, he steals some equipment from a local hockey shop. He quickly made his rush when the store was closed. Moving on in the book he meets up with some reggies with are normal kids with a ...more
MrsHamel
Dec 01, 2012 MrsHamel rated it liked it
Shelves: edes-546, young-adult
Description: Jonathan is forced to live on the streets when his mom dies, and he finds a "home" with other homeless kids who live in an underground abandoned mall. He played hockey in his former life, and ends up stealing equipment and playing on an outdoor rink for an escape. He is soon invited to join a real team, and he struggles with making sure his two worlds don't collide.

Reaction: An interesting look at how quickly life can change. Jonathan is likeable and readers will want him to find a
Peggy
Apr 06, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look into the lives of homeless children. When Mouse is left homeless, he falls in with a group of children who live in an abandoned, underground mall. To pass the time, Mouse starts skating at a local outdoor rink, and ends up playing hockey with a group of regular kids (Reggies). As he gets deeper into playing with these kids, his lies get bigger, and he finds it harder to abide by the rules of the underground.

Good read for teens who have a love of hockey, or sports in general. Ex
Leslie
Sep 16, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it
Jonathon is alone after his mother dies and has moved into the abandoned "Underground" with other homeless kids. His desperation and love for hockey attracts him to a team practice and leads him to some unsavory behaviour so he can join them.

This sport related book offers readers an interesting connection to homelessness. A great read even for those not into hockey.

Recommended: 9-12 years

Subject/theme: hockey, homelessness
Curriculum: Class Discrimination
Awards: OLA Silver Birch Fiction 2012
Naomi
Story about a young boy Jonathon who ends up homeless on the streets. We see how lucky the Reggies(Regular Kids) are compared to the Undergrounders( homeless kids). Rasheed and the janitor are kind to Jonathan since he can skate and handle the puck. A good look at homelessness. I think the stealing of the hockey equipment is glossed over and should be discussed.
depletive
Sep 05, 2012 depletive rated it liked it
This book took me a while to finish, mostly on the part that I didn't own it and had very few chances in the past chaotic months to go to Chapters. Overall, it was good, but I found it a little unrealistic. For instance, wouldn't a sports store have surveillance tapes? Another: If he smelled so bad, how come they never said anything about it? But it was a pretty good read overall.
Marshall
Apr 23, 2012 Marshall rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a really good book. I did not really like the hockey part of the books, because I thought that they were a bit corny, but I really liked the part where he was with the undergrounders. I think that the people who would like this book are people who like sport books, and realistic fiction.
Rachel Seigel
Oct 13, 2011 Rachel Seigel rated it liked it
This is a decently written junior-grade intro to homelessness. While I think a lot of the story is improbable, there are some good talking points about the need for shelter and food, and what life is like for kids on the street.
Vicki
Nov 25, 2011 Vicki rated it liked it
The Silver Birch books are a sad lot this year - three out of three with the loss of their mothers and the resultant trauma. Sigh. Aren't there any happy stories?
Kathie
Jan 10, 2013 Kathie rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-books
A good piece of writing (and a super pick for the boys), though a bit too much hockey talk for my liking.
Grace
Jan 19, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really good!
Jhasna
Jhasna rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Spark
Spark rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Tuvira
Tuvira rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Sandra
Sep 10, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
Snow Willow Nominee 2012
Bailey Lenihan
Bailey Lenihan rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Ryan Moffatt
Ryan Moffatt rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Tamzen Kulyk
Tamzen Kulyk rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Agrata
Agrata rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Naomi
Naomi rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Read
Read rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Robin
Nov 20, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
i like the part were he steals and when he stays with the family
Carly Jacobs
Carly Jacobs rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Keshav
Keshav rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Roshana
Roshana rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Isaiah
Isaiah rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2013
  • Cat Found
  • A Tinfoil Sky
  • Yesterday's Dead
  • The Grave Robber's Apprentice
  • Neil Flambé and the Marco Polo Murders (The Neil Flambé Capers #1)
  • Last Message (Seven, #7)
  • Making Bombs for Hitler