A Little Way of Homeschooling

A Little Way of Homeschooling

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Suzie Andres and twelve other Catholic homeschoolers describe how they implement an "unschooling" style of teaching in their homes. Drawing from St. Therese, St. John Bosco, John Holt (How Children Learn and How Children Fail), and ancient philosophers, the families paint a picture of authentic education without the constraints and pitfalls of typical modern education. And...more
Published February 21st 2011 by Hillside Education

To ask other readers questions about A Little Way of Homeschooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Way of Homeschooling

This book really inspired me! I don't think I could ever be a real unschooler, but I do admire how these women seem to have helped form a love for learning in their children. That is what I want! For my children to really enjoy learning, reading and discovering—TOGETHER. Also, I appreciated the faith of these mothers! The message I received was that it is so important to surrender ALL of this to the Lord and trust that He will lead me to what is best for my children, my family.

We are just starti...more
Natalie
Jul 08, 2011 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All homeschoolers
Shelves: homeschooling, 2011
Reading about other Catholic Unschoolers was very affirming. Thirteen families discussed how unschooling looks in their homes. And it is different for them all, yet they all had the same underlying similarities - their Catholic faith, and their belief in letting their children learn at their own pace and in their own way. I love this book!
Amy C.
A lovely book that fills a much needed gap in the Catholic homeschooling canon. Stories of unschooling or unschoolishness as practiced in several different families, these chapters are a reflection on trust and joy and faith, and a welcome boost to the spirit.
Anne
I always feel like 3 stars is sort of a sad number to give to a book I read quickly and enjoyed. Maybe it helps to know that I think of 3,4, and 5 as A-, A, and A+. On that weird teacher note I'll say that even though my oldest is in school right now, homeschooling is always a part of our discernment. I thought this book spoke to what I had personally rebelled against with traditional boxed homeschool curricula as well as which parts of the unschooling philosophy just don't work for me. I apprec...more
Heather
I enjoyed this series of testimonials on homeschooling in general and unschooling more specifically. As a homeschooler in the classical generally, I've wondered about the whole concept. It's not an introduction or guidebook; terms are left undefined ("strewing," for example) but it's not supposed to be a guide. It's a nice insight--sort of a gentle invitation--to the unschooling subculture.
I didn't feel preached at; it doesn't seem didactic. More of a, "Here's where we are, and where we hope to...more
Laina
It's dangerous for me to read books like this. Yet I guess it is exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it. We put away the textbooks and dove headfirst into unschooling.

In the end, I was a little disappointed that this book did not provide more application of St. Therese's "little way," but it was worth reading to get reassurance of the value of finding your own way in the homeschooling journey. And I'm sure that the reading list I compiled (and that appears in the appendices) will feed my...more
Kacky
I really liked this. I'm not an unschooled, I don't think I'm even that close. However, I liked Melissa's tidal learning, and imcan see moving that way in some subjects and times of the year. There were several quotes I plan post for future encouragement. Even if you don't unschool, or plan to, I think it's good to see what unschoolers do. I appreciate the authors opening up and being honest.
Kcshrader
Unschooling while Catholic -- sounds controversial, doesn't it? Rather, the author does an amazing job of applying the lessons she takes from St. Teresa to raising children in many areas. Well worth reading, for Catholics and Protestants, convential schoolers, unschoolers, and more.
Emily
This is a total "Mom book", but I enjoyed it. :) Each chapter - if I remember correctly - is about a different family and the way that they implement "unschooling" approaches.
Darlene Teresa
Most wonderful book on Catholic unschooling and how it worls in real life EVER!! Wonderfully written and lovely, real stories of Catholic unschooling families!
Meredith Henning
Here is my review of this wonderful new book for families! Enjoy :)

Kelly
I really enjoyed this book. Here is my review: http://www.thecarelesscatholic.com/20...
Colleen Rein
It was interesting to read stories by Catholic families in the midst of home schooling.
Margot
Not fair to rate this since I published it, but it's a good read nonetheless!
Kathy
Wonderful book...leading me on a journey of unschooling1
Julie Wagner
I love the intimate feeling to the stories of the un-schoolers in this book. If you are investigating the journey of un-schooling and want to see the rich diversity of learning driven by the child's interest you will love this book!
Sonja Maierhauser
This is the most liberating book I've ever read on the subject of home education.
Very enlightening! (Not much to do with St. Therese, though...)
Leigh
A beautiful and helpful book!
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kristy Neal
Kristy Neal is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ryana
Ryana marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Chris Worthy
Chris Worthy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Laura Schroeder
Laura Schroeder marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014