Start by marking “A Little Way of Homeschooling” as Want to Read:
A Little Way of Homeschooling

A Little Way of Homeschooling

Suzie Andres and twelve other Catholic homeschoolers describe how they implement an "unschooling" style of teaching in their homes. Drawing from St. Therese, St. John Bosco, John Holt (How Children Learn and How Children Fail), and ancient philosophers, the families paint a picture of authentic education without the constraints and pitfalls of typical modern education. And ...more
Published February 21st 2011 by Hillside Education

To ask other readers questions about A Little Way of Homeschooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Way of Homeschooling

Jun 07, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, education
This book really inspired me! I don't think I could ever be a real unschooler, but I do admire how these women seem to have helped form a love for learning in their children. That is what I want! For my children to really enjoy learning, reading and discovering—TOGETHER. Also, I appreciated the faith of these mothers! The message I received was that it is so important to surrender ALL of this to the Lord and trust that He will lead me to what is best for my children, my family.

We are just starti
Natalie
Jul 06, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All homeschoolers
Shelves: homeschooling, 2011
Reading about other Catholic Unschoolers was very affirming. Thirteen families discussed how unschooling looks in their homes. And it is different for them all, yet they all had the same underlying similarities - their Catholic faith, and their belief in letting their children learn at their own pace and in their own way. I love this book!
Amy C.
Sep 17, 2011 Amy C. rated it really liked it
A lovely book that fills a much needed gap in the Catholic homeschooling canon. Stories of unschooling or unschoolishness as practiced in several different families, these chapters are a reflection on trust and joy and faith, and a welcome boost to the spirit.
Anne
Mar 02, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I always feel like 3 stars is sort of a sad number to give to a book I read quickly and enjoyed. Maybe it helps to know that I think of 3,4, and 5 as A-, A, and A+. On that weird teacher note I'll say that even though my oldest is in school right now, homeschooling is always a part of our discernment. I thought this book spoke to what I had personally rebelled against with traditional boxed homeschool curricula as well as which parts of the unschooling philosophy just don't work for me. I apprec ...more
Heather
Feb 27, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series of testimonials on homeschooling in general and unschooling more specifically. As a homeschooler in the classical generally, I've wondered about the whole concept. It's not an introduction or guidebook; terms are left undefined ("strewing," for example) but it's not supposed to be a guide. It's a nice insight--sort of a gentle invitation--to the unschooling subculture.
I didn't feel preached at; it doesn't seem didactic. More of a, "Here's where we are, and where we hope to
Laina
Aug 21, 2012 Laina rated it liked it
It's dangerous for me to read books like this. Yet I guess it is exactly what I needed exactly when I needed it. We put away the textbooks and dove headfirst into unschooling.

In the end, I was a little disappointed that this book did not provide more application of St. Therese's "little way," but it was worth reading to get reassurance of the value of finding your own way in the homeschooling journey. And I'm sure that the reading list I compiled (and that appears in the appendices) will feed my
Kacky
Jul 09, 2011 Kacky rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I'm not an unschooled, I don't think I'm even that close. However, I liked Melissa's tidal learning, and imcan see moving that way in some subjects and times of the year. There were several quotes I plan post for future encouragement. Even if you don't unschool, or plan to, I think it's good to see what unschoolers do. I appreciate the authors opening up and being honest.
Kcshrader
Jan 31, 2013 Kcshrader rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
Unschooling while Catholic -- sounds controversial, doesn't it? Rather, the author does an amazing job of applying the lessons she takes from St. Teresa to raising children in many areas. Well worth reading, for Catholics and Protestants, convential schoolers, unschoolers, and more.
Margot
May 07, 2011 Margot rated it it was amazing
Not fair to rate this since I published it, but it's a good read nonetheless!
Kelly
May 08, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Here is my review: http://www.thecarelesscatholic.com/20...
Meredith Henning
May 06, 2011 Meredith Henning rated it really liked it
Here is my review of this wonderful new book for families! Enjoy :)

Kathy
Aug 06, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book...leading me on a journey of unschooling1
Stephanie Cowart
Jan 10, 2017 Stephanie Cowart rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Such refreshing and challenging ideas!
Colleen Rein
May 10, 2013 Colleen Rein rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read stories by Catholic families in the midst of home schooling.
Darlene Teresa
Sep 18, 2011 Darlene Teresa rated it it was amazing
Most wonderful book on Catholic unschooling and how it worls in real life EVER!! Wonderfully written and lovely, real stories of Catholic unschooling families!
Emily
Jan 21, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
This is a total "Mom book", but I enjoyed it. :) Each chapter - if I remember correctly - is about a different family and the way that they implement "unschooling" approaches.
Sarah Laundy
Feb 04, 2013 Sarah Laundy rated it liked it
I quite liked this book, it gave me a good insight into unschooling and made me realize it is not for slackers! In some sense it requires even more 'planning', to ensure that your kids are exposed to all kinds of learning opportunities. A few fave quotes below:

Education according to Aquinas and Aristotle:
1- Education should be for the good of the learner
2- All men by nature desire to know
3- The learner is the principal agent in learning
4- Different learners are fitted to learn different things a
Lisa
Jul 31, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: unschooling
I was curious about this book, so I bought it via Kindle. I am no longer a practicing Catholic, but I was raised Catholic, and I don't always relate to/with secular unschoolers. Secular Unschoolers definitely dominate the online discussion groups, I wanted another take on the subject. I highly recommend this book to Catholic homeschoolers who are looking for support when it comes to their children learning without curriculum. I enjoyed reading about these families and their journeys into unschoo ...more
Hope
Oct 27, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, unschooling
What a lovely and inspiring little read! A beautiful blend of educational philosophy and faith. I was encouraged and excited by the various stories of how families integrate these ideas into their homeschooling. Each with their own unique way of doing it, but all with the solid foundations of faith to anchor them in their pursuits. Certainly a book whose overall message is one that touched my heart deeply.
Kristen Vogel
Dec 29, 2015 Kristen Vogel rated it it was amazing
Another inspiring book about Catholic "unschooling." Not only does the author write, but several different Moms give us glimpses of what homeschooling looks like in their house. I found the afterward by the author's husband very worthwhile as well. There is a lot of St. Therese to be found in this book as well. Loved it.
Julie Wagner
I love the intimate feeling to the stories of the un-schoolers in this book. If you are investigating the journey of un-schooling and want to see the rich diversity of learning driven by the child's interest you will love this book!
Laura Schroeder
Jul 16, 2014 Laura Schroeder rated it really liked it
We are not unschoolers but this book really spoke to me. Especially the first chapter. I think this book would be a great read no matter where you are in your homeschooling journey. It came to me highly recommended.
Leigh
Oct 24, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and helpful book!
Sonja Maierhauser
Feb 12, 2014 Sonja Maierhauser rated it it was amazing
This is the most liberating book I've ever read on the subject of home education.
Angela Boord
Jul 10, 2011 Angela Boord rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschooling
Reread this book again to regain a little sanity. Love the collection of prayers in the back, and the calm, common-sense writing contained within.
Sarah McIntyre
Jun 25, 2015 Sarah McIntyre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will look back on this whenever I need an encouraging word in this journey that is a joy but not always easy...
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education
  • A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms: 52 Companions for Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education
  • The Three R's
  • Waiting for the Apocalypse: A Memoir of Faith and Family
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Small Steps for Catholic Moms: Think. Pray. Act. Every Day.
  • The Art of Teaching