Start by marking “Fairy Tale Rituals: Engage the Dark, Eerie & Erotic Power of Familiar Stories” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tale Rituals: Engage the Dark, Eerie & Erotic Power of Familiar Stories

Fairy Tale Rituals: Engage the Dark, Eerie & Erotic Power of Familiar Stories

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Call on Snow White to find love. Get help with dream divination from Sleeping Beauty. Ask Cinderella to make your wishes come true. Real magic lies at the core of fairy tales we all know and love. In exploring the origins of these age-old stories, you'll uncover their connection to fairy creatures.
Published May 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tale Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tale Rituals

Ashley
Dec 03, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
I'll preface this by saying I was reading this more for my interests in fairytales and mythology than performing rituals and such, so I can't really comment on that aspect of the book. I also can't comment on the fairytale accuracy yet, because I haven't had time to follow the bibliography and the internet tends to turn up the most commonly cited version of things.

Fairy Tale Rituals is one of those books that caught me with its incredible cover and I don't regret picking it up at all. Each chap
Zuri Garcia
Feb 03, 2014 Zuri Garcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cualquiera mayor de 15 años.
Recommended to Zuri by: Nadie. Yo solito lo leí porque me dió curiosidad.
Casi todo mundo sabe lo que es el ”abra-cadabra”, el “hocus-pocus”, el “sim, sim, salabim” y demás frases por el estilo. También sabe de príncipes, madrastras, princesas, hadas, duendes, bosques encantados, etc.

Efectivamente, se trata de cuentos de hadas. Crecimos con ellos, le brindaron color a nuestra niñez, nos inspiraban a ser fuertes, valientes, a no rendirnos nunca, a encontrar tesoros grandiosos. Pero es innegable que, lo más atrayente de ellos, era la magia que les daba ese aroma de fant
Steve Cran
Nov 22, 2012 Steve Cran rated it really liked it
When it comes to Grimm's Faery Tale's you are seriously going to have to forget what you know and try to learn about them with an open mind. What you may have read in the Grimm's faery tale or seen on the big screen is nothing but a sanitized and watered down version of what the real faery tale was. The Grimm brothers had started out with a privileged life , it was while studying in the University that they became enamored in folk tales. So they began to collect them. To make them palatable to e ...more
Jack
Jun 27, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Initiates and Solitaries
I'm not always particularly fond of books from Llewellyn Worldwide. If you've read previous reviews, you know why.

That said, this book surprised me.

As a person interested in Comparative Religions and especially in "Other" spirituality, I found this to be an interesting look at "fairy" tales - not the white-washed Disney cartoon pap, but the actual tales as recorded not only by the Lutheran influenced Brothers Grimm, but even before then (before Christianity came in and put their heavy-handed sta
josh
Jan 02, 2012 josh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: jungians, wiccans, ritualists, new agers, psychologists, sociologists and anthropologists
Recommended to josh by: shelf @ UAPL
a good read delving into a number of jungian archetypes from more traditional versions - generally, grimms - of fairy tales (not the irritatingly sanitized disney versions) and looking at how those archetypes can play roles in modern rituals. these rituals / archetypes can be seen in a variety of spiritual settings, be they theistic (christianity, judiasm, hindu, islamic), other naturalistic belief settings, pagan or wiccan traditions.

the symbolism of many of these tales dates from time immemori
Rebecca Cooper
The good aspects of this book would be the comparative discussion of different versions of the fairy tales, and the information that the Grimm brothers would sometimes edit the fairy tales for their own reasons. Beyond that, the rituals are uninspired and the author is anything but scholarly. He draws his own conclusions about the symbolism of the tales without much basis. At best, some of these are a stretch. At worst, they are downright wrong. (Example: A pear tree must symbolize a woman's sen ...more
Marilag
Jun 09, 2011 Marilag rated it it was ok
Ehh, it was okay. I think the novelty wore off after the first few analyses, mostly because by the time I got near the end, the explanations got slightly repetitive. Something in one fairy tale can certainly be applied to another. Also, most--if not all--of the stories discussed were familiar because they were mostly discussions of a Grimms' version. Sure, mentions of older tales were given, but for the majority of the analyses, Klein remained solely on a Grimms-tale frenzy.

I did like that he pu
Shannon
Jan 12, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Really interesting read. I enjoyed looking at my favorite stories in a very different light. It's fascinating just how old these archetypes really are and how they've manifested through the centuries.
Cat Noe
Jun 04, 2016 Cat Noe rated it it was ok
Picked this up for the fairy tale content, didn't notice the ritual bit until it was too late. This book added almost nothing to my knowledge of fairy tales, though it did confirm much of what I've stumbled on through other, more reputable sources.

As to the rituals- they reminded me a bit of Jungian psychology. Wrap your mind around the archetype, use some form of mental exercise to fix it in the new place, repeat until your life shifts to match your mindset. There's nothing magical about it.

My
Phair
Jun 03, 2016 Phair rated it liked it
While I didn't bother reading the rituals parts I did find the history and interpretation of the various tales fascinating at least thru the first few chapters. Later chapters began to feel a little repetitious with similar interpretations. Especially liked the way the author included variations on the tales from different countries and cultures. Not being a real student of folklore I felt I learned a lot about the development of many of the now familiar stories and I was introduced to a few tha ...more
Spider Goddess
May 26, 2012 Spider Goddess rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book, and learned a lot from it. The author takes the time to tell Grimm version of each tale, as well as earlier versions. Then, after sharing these tales, compares the various versions. Once shared there is a discussion of the underlying meanings. It is done in very comprehensive fashion.

The actual rituals are well thought out and well written. Not all of them are personally useful, but I can definitely take elements from each one.
Belinda
May 22, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
My husband gave me this book for Mother's day. He definitely has a funny sense of humor with the wicked step mother handing the poison apple over:) on Mother's Day:) I love fairy tales and have many different copies of Grimm's. I've just started reading this and have to give it 5 stars. Love it because it's magical:)
Heather
Sep 30, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I adored this book, mainly for its wonderfully readable comparisons of differing fairy tales in conjunction with Pagan lore and current praxis. Even if Wiccan ritual structure is not your cuppa tea, it's fascinating stuff.
Bella Iurillo
Oct 21, 2014 Bella Iurillo rated it liked it
I didn't read the spells and rituals in this book because I don't do those things. However it gave awesome alternative stories for all the fairy tales we know and love. Plus it gives some background to them as well.
Karlene Clark
May 06, 2013 Karlene Clark rated it really liked it
Very interesting background on many of the fairy tales! Definitely gave me a deeper appreciation for the meeting behind some, like Red Riding Hood, that I had never liked before. Rituals are well thought out as well!
Janina
Jun 14, 2012 Janina rated it really liked it
Very rich with information about the fairy tale myths and we can relate to them. The rituals are wonderful and rich as well and I can't wait to try one!
Heather Plunkett
Feb 25, 2014 Heather Plunkett rated it really liked it
This is one that I have on my kindle and refer to for ideas and inspiration
Tricia
Sep 09, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
really shows the darker meaning of the characters in popular fairy tales
Jun 16, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
review soon @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Erica
Feb 21, 2012 Erica rated it liked it
I thought this book was very interesting. :)
Mariola
Mariola rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Adaluz
Adaluz marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Eva Schatz
Eva Schatz marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jenny Mikac
Jenny Mikac marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Glycelle Joy
Glycelle Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Jing
Jing rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Magic of the Celtic Otherworld: Irish History, Lore & Rituals
  • Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing
  • Nordic Runes: Understanding, Casting, and Interpreting the Ancient Viking Oracle
  • The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Witches' Book of the Dead
  • Faery Craft: Weaving Connections with the Enchanted Realm
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • The Temple of Hekate - Exploring the Goddess Hekate Through Ritual, Meditation and Divination
  • The Druid Craft Tarot
  • A Witch's World of Magick: Expanding Your Practice with Techniques & Traditions from Diverse Cultures
Kenny Klein is an author and musician currently living in New Orleans.
More about Kenny Klein...