Fairy Tale Rituals: Engage the Dark, Eerie & Erotic Power of Familiar Stories

Fairy Tale Rituals: Engage the Dark, Eerie & Erotic Power of Familiar Stories

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Magical and mysterious, Faeries are also subtle, sexual, sublime, stubborn, erotic, enticing, dark, and deadly... So you think you know Snow White? You're acquainted with Sleeping Beauty? You're quite familiar with Beauty and the Beast? Fairy Tale Rituals explores the eerie, seductive Faerie lore lying just beneath the surface of eleven favorite fairy tales. Feel the fear...more
Published May 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 2011)

Ashley
I'll preface this by saying I was reading this more for my interests in fairytales and mythology than performing rituals and such, so I can't really comment on that aspect of the book. I also can't comment on the fairytale accuracy yet, because I haven't had time to follow the bibliography and the internet tends to turn up the most commonly cited version of things.

Fairy Tale Rituals is one of those books that caught me with its incredible cover and I don't regret picking it up at all. Each chap...more
Zuri Garcia
Feb 03, 2014 Zuri Garcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cualquiera mayor de 15 años.
Recommended to Zuri by: Nadie. Yo solito lo leí porque me dió curiosidad.
Casi todo mundo sabe lo que es el ”abra-cadabra”, el “hocus-pocus”, el “sim, sim, salabim” y demás frases por el estilo. También sabe de príncipes, madrastras, princesas, hadas, duendes, bosques encantados, etc.

Efectivamente, se trata de cuentos de hadas. Crecimos con ellos, le brindaron color a nuestra niñez, nos inspiraban a ser fuertes, valientes, a no rendirnos nunca, a encontrar tesoros grandiosos. Pero es innegable que, lo más atrayente de ellos, era la magia que les daba ese aroma de fant...more
Steve Cran
When it comes to Grimm's Faery Tale's you are seriously going to have to forget what you know and try to learn about them with an open mind. What you may have read in the Grimm's faery tale or seen on the big screen is nothing but a sanitized and watered down version of what the real faery tale was. The Grimm brothers had started out with a privileged life , it was while studying in the University that they became enamored in folk tales. So they began to collect them. To make them palatable to e...more
Jack
Jun 27, 2012 Jack rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Initiates and Solitaries
I'm not always particularly fond of books from Llewellyn Worldwide. If you've read previous reviews, you know why.

That said, this book surprised me.

As a person interested in Comparative Religions and especially in "Other" spirituality, I found this to be an interesting look at "fairy" tales - not the white-washed Disney cartoon pap, but the actual tales as recorded not only by the Lutheran influenced Brothers Grimm, but even before then (before Christianity came in and put their heavy-handed sta...more
josh
Jan 02, 2012 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jungians, wiccans, ritualists, new agers, psychologists, sociologists and anthropologists
Recommended to josh by: shelf @ UAPL
a good read delving into a number of jungian archetypes from more traditional versions - generally, grimms - of fairy tales (not the irritatingly sanitized disney versions) and looking at how those archetypes can play roles in modern rituals. these rituals / archetypes can be seen in a variety of spiritual settings, be they theistic (christianity, judiasm, hindu, islamic), other naturalistic belief settings, pagan or wiccan traditions.

the symbolism of many of these tales dates from time immemori...more
Marilag
Ehh, it was okay. I think the novelty wore off after the first few analyses, mostly because by the time I got near the end, the explanations got slightly repetitive. Something in one fairy tale can certainly be applied to another. Also, most--if not all--of the stories discussed were familiar because they were mostly discussions of a Grimms' version. Sure, mentions of older tales were given, but for the majority of the analyses, Klein remained solely on a Grimms-tale frenzy.

I did like that he pu...more
Cat Noe
Picked this up for the fairy tale content, didn't notice the ritual bit until it was too late. This book added almost nothing to my knowledge of fairy tales, though it did confirm much of what I've stumbled on through other, more reputable sources.

As to the rituals- they reminded me a bit of Jungian psychology. Wrap your mind around the archetype, use some form of mental exercise to fix it in the new place, repeat until your life shifts to match your mindset. There's nothing magical about it.

My...more
Spider Goddess
I truly enjoyed this book, and learned a lot from it. The author takes the time to tell Grimm version of each tale, as well as earlier versions. Then, after sharing these tales, compares the various versions. Once shared there is a discussion of the underlying meanings. It is done in very comprehensive fashion.

The actual rituals are well thought out and well written. Not all of them are personally useful, but I can definitely take elements from each one.
Belinda
My husband gave me this book for Mother's day. He definitely has a funny sense of humor with the wicked step mother handing the poison apple over:) on Mother's Day:) I love fairy tales and have many different copies of Grimm's. I've just started reading this and have to give it 5 stars. Love it because it's magical:)
Heather
I adored this book, mainly for its wonderfully readable comparisons of differing fairy tales in conjunction with Pagan lore and current praxis. Even if Wiccan ritual structure is not your cuppa tea, it's fascinating stuff.
Karlene Clark
Very interesting background on many of the fairy tales! Definitely gave me a deeper appreciation for the meeting behind some, like Red Riding Hood, that I had never liked before. Rituals are well thought out as well!
Janina
Very rich with information about the fairy tale myths and we can relate to them. The rituals are wonderful and rich as well and I can't wait to try one!
Heather Plunkett
This is one that I have on my kindle and refer to for ideas and inspiration
Tricia
really shows the darker meaning of the characters in popular fairy tales
review soon @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Erica
I thought this book was very interesting. :)
leeloo
leeloo marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jamie Vandy
Jamie Vandy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Susan Quirus
Susan Quirus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Carlee
Carlee marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Raina Tellado
Raina Tellado marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Erica
Erica added it
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kenny Klein is an author and musician currently living in New Orleans.
More about Kenny Klein...
Through the Faerie Glass: A Look at the Realm of Unseen and Enchanted Beings The Flowering Rod: Men and Their Place in Paganism Fairy Tale Magic: Unearth & Reclaim the Potent Enchantment of Old World Folk Tales Flowering Rod: Men Sex and Spirituality Verses on Saint Mark's Place