Start by marking “The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You” as Want to Read:
The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You

The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  12,087 ratings  ·  1,099 reviews
Instant Wall Street Journal Bestseller!

Congratulations, you're a manager! After you pop the champagne, accept the shiny new title, and step into this thrilling next chapter of your career, the truth descends like a fog: you don't really know what you're doing.

That's exactly how Julie Zhuo felt when she became a rookie manager at the age of 25. She stared at a long list of
Published March 19th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Manager

·  12,087 ratings  ·  1,099 reviews

Start your review of The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
Carol
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The management book I've been looking for! Whereas most management books are written by CEOs and sometimes stuffy authoritarian types, Julie Zhou writes this for the newbie manager with an accessible, conversational tone. Practical advice you can immediately put to use is peppered with anecdotes from Julie's baby steps in management.

I'd recommend this for new managers and anyone looking to see if management is for them or not.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review
Elvina Zafril
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pansing
description

Really love this book!

The Making of a Manager by Julie Zhuo is my first book about business management.

I’ve read one article by Julie Zhuo but I didn’t realize it was really her until my colleague told me that this is the same person.

I really am glad that I got the chance to read this book. The author has become a manager when she was 25 and had no idea what to do and where she should start with. Just imagine a lot of experiences she gained from the start, especially her mistakes.

This book reall
Anton
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent new release! Clear and succinct delivery, undoubtedly useful for the target audience. I would look at it as a remastered High Output Management by Andy Grove aimed a the modern age new managers.

The downside is that is premised on a setting that is hardly universal. Most examples would resonate if you are working in a (for the lack of better term) ‘white-collar’ job, possibly in tech sector. But if you are exposed to managing teams in a ‘blue-collar’ environment some of the advice may r
Chip Huyen
May 29, 2022 rated it liked it
I'm probably not the target audience for this book. The book seems to focus a lot more on going from an IC mindset to a manager mindset when everything is going well.

I wish the book had addressed difficult issues such as:
- What to do when you have to ask your team to do things they don't want to do, e.g. when you yourself receive directions from higher up that you don't necessarily agree with.
- How to ask for more resources from the company: budget, headcount, etc.
- What to do in a hiring freeze
Caro (Bookaria)
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone in a managerial position or aspiring to fulfill one. It is also great for anyone working in a team or collaborative environment, which is almost anyone.

I found the advice practical and down to earth. The author did not use structured terms but rather kept the tone conversational and approachable.

Highly recommend it for anyone working in fast paced, dynamic environment who wishes to be a good leader and team member.
Jeffrey
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really tried with this book, but for every good idea there was one that doesn’t apply to the service fields. And no matter what she was saying I kept thinking, “You work for Facebook. You’re okay with working for Facebook.” And she’d lose all credibility with me.
Steven Ritchie
This was a 3.5 book. There were a couple chapters I felt were quite valuable, and many that I had 0 notes for.
Abbey
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! While I’m new to the world of management books, I really enjoyed this and tabbed it like crazy. I know I’ll be returning to this over the next several months, if not years. It’s inspiring and honest, motivational and exciting. Let’s do something great - after all, as Zhuo ends with, the journey is only 1% done.
Stephanie
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Because I am in digital technology management, I tend to read mostly management books by Silicon Valley authors. However, I am in the Midwest, and the issues I regularly face are not really acknowledged in most of these books. This is no exception. I wish I worked in a world where my biggest issues were filling all my headcount needs and nurturing overly ambitious employees. Try writing a book about working with what you have when it is not nearly enough, or finding an internal backfill outside ...more
Jill
Apr 18, 2022 rated it liked it
oh hey, what's up, career development i guess

I'm not a manager yet, but my career is heading that way. I'm extremely curious about how my previous life as a high school teacher will have prepared me for it (more ways than one, I'm guessing already just from reading this book), and I'm also curious about how the conversation around people management interlaces with that around classroom/student management. I'm not an expert in either, but there's definitely overlap.

Classrooms aside, this is a goo
Manuela Barcenas
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd highly recommend reading Julie Zhuo's The Making of a Manager. It's the perfect resource for new managers and experienced managers looking to improve their leadership skills.

Julie's style is clear, fun, and extremely relatable. I loved the examples she provides and the illustrations that go with them.

The book covers topics such as:
-The true definition of management
-What to do during your first few months in the job
-How to develop trust with your direct reports
-How to prepare for meetings (an
Sebastian Gebski
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very solid stuff (4.5+ stars). Its initial chapters start very "soft" - I'd even say - focus on more psychological aspects of the role, but the further the better.

The best chapter is definitely no 8 ("Making Things Happen") - Julie Zhuo perfectly (IMHO) captures the idea of effectiveness & pragmatism in goal-oriented organisations.

Keep in mind that it's a book by a manager from Facebook, but it's not really about Facebook or its culture. Some characters are mentioned but there are no "insider st
Lynn
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
20% company values & the People Portal, 30% internal training like Fast Feedback & Situational Leadership, 30% various Workplace notes on "This is how you X at Facebook", 10% company PR, plus 10% or less of her personal experience.
The book feels very Facebook and a little less personal, probably because Julie helped to shape its culture but was still at the company when she wrote it. Managers new to Facebook will probably find this very helpful.
Shwan Fraidoon
I dont want to be a manager any time soon but this is an insightful book.
Vicki
Jul 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
There is nothing groundbreaking in this book, which is a combination of personal experience and the usual quotes from Pareto, Andy Grove, and others who serve to inspire management philosophies. As with most management books, it's very high-level and, just because of NDAs, can't gt into project specifics.

There are two things that are interesting about this book:

1. The writing and digesting into small, friendly chunks.
2. You get the distinct sense from reading this book that the author has bec
Samantha
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I admit I wasn't aware of Julie Zhuo before hearing about this book but now I am her biggest fan! Zhuo is the VP, Product Design at Facebook, having successfully worked her way up the ranks. She first became a manager at 25 and wasn't sure where to start, what she should be doing and what she should NOT be doing! As you can imagine, she has learned a huge amount from this experience, especially her own mistakes. This book is a really approachable guide for managers, whether you are new or experi ...more
Jonathan Mckay
Julie Zhuo had a great career at Facebook starting from managing people at 25 to becoming the de-facto head of design for the entire company.

Making of a Manager covers both the autobiographical aspects of how she started as a manager at Facebook, and adds in a few frameworks, learnings and anecdotes from the journey. Like the rest of Silicon Valley, Zhuo assumes a given set of cultural norms, and much of her advice ends up being applicable only to flatter tech-centric organizations. Books like
Michał Węgrzyn
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Julie does not go deep into topics, but rather provides a solid checklist build on her long experience as a manager in Facebook.

70% or more is about people skills and process of building a team.
There are some interesting ideas that could be implemented.

Overall a solid book targeted to junior to mid-level managers.
Dmitriy Rozhkov
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
As you read more books it's hard giving them a rating. One should always drop back to a beginners mind when giving stars.

The book has certainly a fair amount of knowledge I've read before. Yet it provides a good gradual introduction step by step into a managerial role. It's not a comprehensive book, but rather an outline of milestones with some must know pieces of advice.
Sharry Lu
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Learned a lot from the book. Feels like having a personal mentor. The author is frank and humble in her writing, allowing me to learn from failures and mistakes.

Notes:
- a manager: get better outcome of a group of people thru influencing purpose people and process
-to measure a manager: 1/2 is on teams results did u achieve goals (present outcome). 1/2 is on strength and satisfaction of team (future outcome) -
- 3 things managers think about all day:
- 1) purpose (the why) - everyone should belie
Elina
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could find lot of advices in this book for myself. Enjoyed book simpliest way how to talk about important things.
Divyanshu Maithani
May 25, 2022 rated it liked it
The book is nice and conveys lot of things a manager should be doing (never knew). Some examples are generic and repetitive but it definitely made me realize I don't want to be a manager :D ...more
Aksel Nooitgedagt
Sep 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Very good book for me on my current career stage. Gives a lot of guidance on how to deal with different management topic coming up in a tech company as ours. I found the book to be pretty practical as it gives concrete advices on topics like: hiring, staffing, what should be the main goal of a manager, feedback, 1:1, how to organize meetings and more.

Highly recommendable if you are a manager in a tech company. However, the book is mostly intended for middle managers - there is nothing about CEO
Anitajt
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then I read a book that inspires me, this book is written in a very readable, honest and frank way. The paragraph I will take away with me is;
‘Learning how to be a great leader means learning about your superpowers and flaws, learning how to navigate the obstacles in your head, and learning how to learn. With these tools comes the confidence that you’re meant to be just as you are - no masks or pretences needed and that you are ready for whatever challenges lie ahead’.
A must for e
Simão Freitas
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and I have an urge to start it all over again. If I ended up taking notes, it would probably amount to the same number of pages as the book itself such are the great insights contained in it. One of the, if not The, most valuable management books I’ve read so far, given from the perspective of a person that grew and learned on the job. I’ve identified with so many situations of the book that it serves almost as a tutorial for my case. I won’t take all of it as is of cou ...more
Christine
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounding down. I think I did this book a disservice by reading it right after the Netflix book which was awesome but I found myself wanting after finishing this book. It was highly anecdotal and not structured at all, but highly relatable - it’s written for first time manager so it “feels” like you’re making a connection to the author but there’s not a ton of details, more like high level insights into a ton of different topics which is still very valuable. The last two chapters on lea ...more
Lucas Coelho
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an easy and enjoyable read. Full with practical examples and anecdotes this book is a gem for anyone starting their management careers like myself. Will not only keep this at my desk but also give it as a gift to any friends starting their journey too.

Amazing work Julie, thanks for sharing in it with us.

🙏🏾🖤
Aimee
Sep 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I haven't even finished this book and already it has been incredibly insightful and helpful. Told in an accessible, conversational tone, this book gets to the human element of being a manager: how to be the best you, so that you can be the best you for your team. I can tell this book is going to accompany me along the rest of my career. ...more
Vuk Trifkovic
Apr 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. Way less insightful than her newsletter. Even if one adjusts down for experience, the poverty of ideas is shocking.

I couldn't help thinking that this is a great illustration of Monteiro's thesis on design responsibility, experience and licensing.
Angelos Karagkiozidis
I found the book rather bland. Julie's prose is definitely not my cup of tea. Some too perfect examples with perfect outcomes and advice that only make sense in a specific type of environment. ...more

• The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads for New Managers
  • Measure What Matters
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • Continuous Discovery Habits: Discover Products that Create Customer Value and Business Value
  • Resilient Management
  • Empowered: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Products
  • Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

“Your role as a manager is not to do the work yourself, even if you are the best at it, because that will only take you so far. Your role is to improve the purpose, people, and process of your team to get as high a multiplier effect on your collective outcome as you can.” 10 likes
“This is the crux of management: It is the belief that a team of people can achieve more than a single person going it alone. It is the realization that you don’t have to do everything yourself, be the best at everything yourself, or even know how to do everything yourself. Your job, as a manager, is to get better outcomes from a group of people working together.” 9 likes