Start by marking “Fossils Tell of Long Ago” as Want to Read:
Fossils Tell of Long Ago

Fossils Tell of Long Ago (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
What is a fossil? Sometimes it's the imprint of an ancient leaf in a rock. Or it could be the skeleton of a dinosaur that has turned to stone! With clear prose and lovely, full-color illustrations, award-winning author and illustrator Aliki describes the different ways fossils are formed and what they tell us about life on Earth long ago. This book also includes an activit ...more
Published March 21st 1990 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Fossils Tell of Long Ago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fossils Tell of Long Ago

Jason
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
That was pretty awesome. We had done some "fossil excavating" activities prior to this, so my boys were very interested in the science behind it. They ask great questions. So proud of them.
Sophia Hermosillo

Goodreads 10

• An analysis of two literary elements:
o Nonfiction texts don't have a plot and they do not often have a setting. Make sure to select elements that the text actually has. For example, nonfiction text will have style/tone and POV.
o Remember an analysis involves correctly naming the element, explaining what the element does for the text, providing examples to support your claim(s), and discussing why the author/illustrator might have used the element in this way.
• An analysis of two v
Allen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-350
This book tells all about different types of fossils and how they form. It talks about plant and animal remains becoming fossils. It talks about things being preserved in ice and in amber. It also talks about tracks of animals becoming fossils. It discusses how the earth has changed allowing some water fossils to be found in dry areas and vice versa. It even has ideas for students making their own fossils.

I thought this book was easy to read and had a lot of information. There was a good use of
Madeline
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This informational book gives kids exciting facts on fossils, where they come from, and how they are made. Kids are told the difference between animals that become fossils compared to those who rot, how layers of mud compact animals to make fossils, and what scientists can learn about the environment from studying fossils they find. Kids are even encouraged to go out and see what they can find- maybe one day they can find a fossil themselves!

There is another Aliki book I share with my 2nd grade
Logan
Read this straight through twice and then again in the evening. The first page sucked us right in: "Once upon a time a huge fish was swimming around when along came a smaller fish. The big fish was so hungry it swallowed the other fish hole. The big fish died and sank to the bottom of the sea." It shows the process of how the big fish and the little fish inside it both become fossils and about the clues that fossils give us of the past. Accessible and informative for even younger kids. After rea ...more
Khadija Bensaadoun
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Fossils Tell of Long Ago", is a children;s literature book that explains how fossils are formed and how we use them to tell us about the past. This book can be used to teach a 2nd grade lesson on how fossils are formed. The students will learn what paleontologists do and how fossils become fossilized. For a fun activity I would show different pictures of fossils to the students and they would guess what animal was fossilized.

Julie
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Big, repeat-request favorite with the almost-5-year-old in our house right now. Three-year-old likes it too.
Jessica Chambliss
This book teaches us the basics of fossils as a story! It introduces what a fossil is and how they form over time! This would be great for a lesson introducing what fossils are and what can become of fossils. This would be good for grades k-5.
Guadalupe Ramirez
A big topic to cover in 3rd grade is fossils. Therefore, I think this book is great for an introduction on fossils. It is a non-fiction book that you can use for read aloud as it is not very long and it is written at a level where it is easy for young children to understand.
Lisa
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Overview of different kinds of fossils and how they're formed, in easy-to-understand language and pictures.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science
I like the diversity of the children drawn in this book. I also like the way it introduces the science behind fossils to young children.
Jennifer Chapman
Good introduction to fossils for little kids. Target audience would be independent readers.
Suz
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
A good introduction to the topic of fossils. I read it to my 3rd graders, then let them investigate some real fossils with magnifying glasses.
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
I thought it was good! I liked the end where it applied fossils to you and said you can make a fossil of your hand print with clay.

-Fossil Facts
-Application section in back
Amy
PERFECT for teaching about fossils telling a story about an animal of long ago.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 13815 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Voracious_reader
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simple and yet informative. Our archaeology/dinosaur obsessed daughter loved this one.
Rana
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, geology
Great little book on fossils. Accurate details, and very interesting.
Jill
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for children to help them understand the facts of fossils. It has bright illustrations and it is clearly written. Could be used for 1 - 3 level or a read-alone book for older students.
A
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise, easy-to-understand scientific information explained in kid-friendly language with clear layouts. I love Aliki's books because they are so accessible to kids.
Teri
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great nonfiction! Perfect for our whole rock unit, and perfect as a precursor to Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Ancient Life.
Megan Zimmerman
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-content
3- Fossils/Weathering
Tricia
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a hit this book was with the girls. Basic picture book style explains the formation of fossils and what stories they tell us about our past.
Venessa
Oct 25, 2017
Emma Hoyer
May 13, 2015
Miss Rb
rated it did not like it
May 23, 2012
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Sunshine Makes the Seasons
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • In the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Weather Words And What They Mean
  • Stone Girl, Bone Girl: The Story of Mary Anning
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.
More about Aliki...

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 83 books)
  • A Drop of Blood
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Hear Your Heart
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • What Happens to a Hamburger?
  • Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup,  Yawn