Start by marking “Games of Command” as Want to Read:
Games of Command

Games of Command

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,785 ratings  ·  197 reviews
The universe isn’t what it used to be. With the new Alliance between the Triad and the United Coalition, Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian finds herself serving under her former nemesis, biocybe Admiral Branden Kel-Paten–and doing her best to hide a deadly past. But when an injured mercenary winds up in their ship’s sick bay–and in the hands of her best friend, Dr. Eden Fynn– ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Alternate cover to ISBN 9780553589634, 525 pages
Published March 2007 by Bantam Books (first published June 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Games of Command, please sign up.
Jennifer Yes, "Accidental Goddess". Gillaine is a different race to the majority of this book's cast.
"Down Home Zombie Blues" Set on this Earth with a non…more
"Down Home Zombie Blues" Set on this Earth with a non earth but human heroine.
Both women are human, not humanoid.
"Gabriel's Ghost" has some major humanoid characters, but they are male.
I hope that helps.
IMO Games of Command is Sinclair's best book.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Brownbetty
Reading this book, I kept on saying, sometimes out-loud, "haha whut." The entire thing is really so ludicrously over the top, and the main conflict feels like something that might have come from a Saturday morning cartoon produced in the eighties. I enjoyed it a lot, when I wasn't writhing in sympathetic embarrassment at the display of authorial id.

Captain Tasha 'Sass' Sebastian is serving under (not like that!) Admiral Brendon Kel-Paten. Their respective empires were once at war, but are now al
Erika

I was really torn as to whether to round up or down here. I decided to round up because of the science fiction plot, which I really enjoyed.

There are only two reasons I can't rate this higher:

(1) I literally couldn't stand one of the heroes, Jace Serafino. He was annoying, arrogant, smarmy and a total manwhore, my most despised type of hero. And....unfortinately, he was in the pages of almost half of this story. I ended up skimming as soon as I saw any hint of the romance between him an
Dawn
++Spoilers+++

Let me start by saying that I am very impressed with the detail of the technology and piloting described in this story. It boggles my mind how the author came up with such amazing science. The world building was also pretty good, but a little more description would have been nice, but not necessary. I personally enjoy the freedom of using my own imagination.

What I liked best is the balance between romance and plot. To me it was a perfect recipe. Not too much of either.

Let me start
Linda
This was the fourth space opera that I have read by Linnea Sinclair. She is known by her fans for following a formula in most, if not all, of her books: alpha male, strong smart heroine and at least part of the setting is held in space. Like in most sci-fi stories there is a familiar jargon unique to the plot that the reader must learn. Tel-Tal, biocybe, U-Cee, Psy-Serv, Novalis, characters with the last name of Kel-_, Galaxus, Definator and so on. And it took me roughly a third of the story to ...more
Nicole
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh!

So, there was one part of this book I liked, and a whole lot that I didn't.

The romance between Sass and Kel-Paten had everything I love - two highly intelligent people on opposing sides moving toward a relationship. There was tension, there was hotness, and okay, maybe Kel-Paten was a little too swoony over Sass in his unsent letters to her, but that's OK!

There was a political backstory that I found intriguing. What was going on? Why? Who knew what?

And then there were the bits I didn't like.
Felicia
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaginal-sf
GUYS, well I've delved into the genre of "romantic Sci-Fi" and its a mixed bag. This author is at the top of the heap for the genre and I've read several books by her in the past week or so (as well as one I loved a while ago). I liked this one the least, although it came highly recommended.

I dunno why, the main dude just was too weird for me. Kal-Paten is a name I couldn't read without giggling a lot, and I just kept trying to figure out how he was a cyborg, what he'd look like naked, and if t
Lizzy
Games of Command is a mix of adventure, suspense and two love affairs. Despite the good plot, it was a slow read in the beginning, as I was somewhat confused by the all the information thrown in: the unique jargon to the plot that the reader must learn as he reads on: biocybe, Tel-Tal, U-Cee, Psy-Serv, Novalis, etc.

The main protagonists, well developed and easy to understand, are biocybe Admiral Branden Kel-Paten and Captain Tasha Sebastian, aka Lady Sass, old enemies from the days before the
Pamela(AllHoney)
Captain Tasha Sebastian aka Sass is transferred to the Vaxxar serving under Admiral Branden Kel-Paten aka Tin Soldier. They are given the mission to capture outlaw Jace Serafino and after going through a vortex of some kind, Serafino falls into their hands. But he and his crew are injured and sent to medical into the care of Dr. Eden Fynn. Everyone has their secrets and the secrets are all about to become known.

Torn between 3 and 4 stars. I liked it but it fell short compared to other books I've
Aoi
What an amazing ride!!! At 525 pages, Games of Command isn't a short and sweet read. Plus, one has to contend with all the information about alien races, sci-fi terminology, politics and alliances flying left,right and center. The time spent is so well worth it; I was completely hooked onto this space adventure and the pages just flew by.

The pace and tone of this story was just spot on. Although the real action takes off at the start, the characters' backgrounds are much more intertwined. I fee
Katie(babs)
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linnea Sinclair has found her true calling when it comes to writing sci-fi/ space travel fiction. There is a touch of everything in this book. A great hero and heroine, action packed space travel and also some interesting little creatures as side kicks that are so adorable.

Tasha Sebastian is a hardnosed space captain who has a shady past but tries to let it go as she looks forward to the future. She is assigned to go on a mission with a man who has been the bain of her existence for years. Admi
Summer
Captain Tasha "Sass" Sebastian isn't whom she claims to be. Her past is a lot more colorful than her records claim but no one but her closest friend knows that. After fighting in a war for several years that's finally come to an end, she's started to feel comfortable. Until as a gesture of goodwill, both sides decide to integrate their people. And Tasha has been chosen to be one of those people. Specifically chosen to be integrated into Admiral Branden Kel-Paten ship. Tasha and the Admiral were ...more
Sophia
Once in a while, I will pick up a Space Opera for all the fun elements of Sci-Fi blended with romance. I've had my eye on this one since I read a follow-up short story in the SFR Brigade antho referencing this one. I was eager for a strong capable hero and heroine on a swashbuckling space adventure and that's what I got. But I also got an intriguing thriller to make things even more interesting.

I loved the writing style, the pace and the tone of the book so much that I didn't even feel all those
Oriana
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s so hard to write a review about a book we really loved and I’ve been struggling for days to write only a few lines.

After reading The Accidental Goddess and Gabriel’s Ghost, Linnea Sinclair quickly went to my auto-buy list. When I finally got my hands in Games of Command, I knew this was going to be an adventurous journey!

"The universe isn’t what it used to be. With the new Alliance between the Triad and the United Coalition, Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian finds herself serving under her f
Cathy
I'm really glad I read a few of the books in Sinclair's Dock 5 series before reading this. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful. The characters are very strong and likable and the storytelling is generally good. The author is excellent in every book I've read of hers, this one included, at setting the spaceship scene, making it feel extremely real without going on and on about the technology and creating a barrier for fans who are more interested in the romance or adventure.

But it was not the po
Angie
I decided to follow up my first Linnea Sinclair book ( Gabriel's Ghost) with Games of Command and I am so glad I did. What a fun, fun book this is. I inhaled it over the weekend and wished there was a sequel lying around somewhere when I was done. Games of Command follows main characters Captain Tasha Sebastian and Admiral Branden Kel-Paten as well as secondary characters Dr. Eden Fynn and Captain Jace Serafino. As in Gabriel's Ghost, the two main characters have a history from the get-go and ...more
Jen Davis
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been on the hunt for a good sci-fi romance and this 10 year-old stand-alone from Linnea Sinclair absolutely hit the spot. Not every element was perfect, but it was sexy and angsty and hit all my happy buttons with a virgin cyborg hero that falls in love despite the restrictions of his programming.

Tasha “Sass” Sebastian is a hotshot pilot with a unsavory past she is trying to leave behind. Her latest assignment puts her under the command of Admiral Branden Kel-Paten, her long-time sparring p
Zeek
Tasha "Sass" Sebastian, former Merc known as Lady Sass, gets assigned to the ship commandeered by one time enemy, Admiral Branden Kel-Paten. Now part of an alliance between their two factions, Sass must do her best to hide her past while serving under the enigmatic Kel-paten.

The Admiral has his own secrets. He has loved Sass since he first laid eyes on her- long before she was assigned to his ship. But there's a major problem- he's part cyber man and he isn't supposed to have "feelings" at all,
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In light of discussion about reviews and bad reviews and online interaction happening today, let me first say that I picked this book up because another of Sinclair's books got a terrible review on SBTB. Given the passion of the review and the discussion that followed, I thought I HAVE to read something by this author and one of her books may end up being a book club book. Book club folks be warned!

Anyway--

This book was wonderful. The characters were so well drawn and believable. I LOVED the vi
Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary
I was disappointed to see that this wasn't part of a series. Very entertaining read. Loved the furzals. I'm normally not a fan of the part android/robot main character. I haven't read any of the Dock Five books yet so I dont' know if they take place in the same "world" as this one did and that this was just an independent book. If not then I hope she writes more to go with this one.
Chachic
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at Chachic's Book Nook.

I’ve been meaning to try Linnea Sinclair’s books for a while now and I’m glad I was finally able to do so when I picked up Games of Command. There was a time when I felt that sci-fi isn’t really my thing because the worldbuilding tends to be more complicated that what I usually like. But then I loved Silent Blade and Silver Shark by Ilona Andrews and the Touchstone trilogy by Andrea K. Host so I’ve been wanting to explore the genre a bit more. Linnea
Llalania
This book and I have a love-hate relationship. I adore Kel-Paten. I'm just a little in love with this figment of imagination and that is rare for me. There are maybe 3-5 romance novels I reread because I love the story or characters so much and this is one of them. It's also the only one that pisses me off to no end. I gave it 4 starts because what it gets right, it really gets right and I really do like it a lot.

What it got right. Kel-Paten and Sass. More notably Kel-Paten. This guy is not only
Cindy
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I love Linnea Sinclair's books - all of them - but this is one of my very favorites. It's one I have to keep getting new copies of because I keep giving mine away to friends, acquaintances, perfect strangers [well, not really PERFECT strangers]. But when you have a book you love you just want to share...

Our heroine is Tasha Sebastian who lives in interesting times. She is currently the captain of a U-Cee huntership and a veteran of the recent war between the United Coalition and the Triad. But b
Helen
The romance between the two main characters is a slow burner. It slowly starts to build into friendship but just as it's going somewhere the focus of the story shifts. Tasha suddenly and for no reason I could see goes from feeling like she is sort of, almost friends with Kel-Patel to being head over heels in love with him.

The rest of the book is about the evil faction and their fight against them. Unfortunately this side of the story just isn't done well enough to carry the book. The 'bad guys'
Anita
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I was hesitant about this sub-genre (science fiction romance a la Star Trek instead of my prefered contemporary fantasy vampires/werewolves), but this author is a regular participant on the paranormal romance goodreads group, and this book won an award, so I wanted to give it a try.

I'm glad I did! The writing was witty and fun. The plot suspenseful and well-woven, without resorting to horror/gore. (Many urban fantasy writers go the horr
A.B. Gayle
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books where the history of the writing of it is possibly more intriguing than the book itself. Not many people have read it, but soft copies are available. Hard copies are available at Abebooks for $255 and $1000.

As it actually is basically an early version of Games of Command, it's interesting from a writing point of view to compare the two versions of basically the same story.

It still has that great command of plot and characters that are typical of all Linnea's books. Wor
Paraphrodite
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 stars (almost 4.5)

I really enjoyed this. Plenty of action, cool characters and the pets not only steal the show but managed to be the heroes, saving the main characters I don't know how many times.

This is quite a long book, from what I understand started as a serial and was initially published with a cliffhanger. Games of Command was the revised and condensed version.

The main pair is Admiral Branden Kel-Paten and Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian. They fought on opposite side before the peace All
Jan
This was my first book by Linnea Sinclair, and I'm hunting all the rest down now. It was delicious. I'm pretty sure a whole lot of that deliciousness comes from my adoration of Branden Kel-Paten, since there were some things that bugged me. But days later I'm still completely psyched over the book, so I think the characters overcame the story hurdles.

Kel-Paten is a biocybe (I think the only one) and a famous Triad Admiral. Because of his cyborg programmation he's not allowed to feel emotion - an
Jackie
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 A solid read for those who enjoy space adventure without the science of hard SF, or SF's typical exploration of intriguing intellectual "what ifs." When the Triad and the United Coalition sign a treaty, UCee commander Tasha Sebastian finds herself second in command to Triad biocyborg Admiral Branden Kel-Paten. Kel-Paten has been nursing a crush on wily enemy Sass for years, and the new alliance's officer exchange program has finally given him the chance to spend time with her in person. But ...more
Jess
Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair is a fun space romp which was an entertaining read with many good parts and some that made me round down my initial 3.5 rating.

The good - the space setting was interesting and I enjoyed Tasha's interactions with her best friend and CMO Eden. Their solid friendship felt real. I also liked their furtzel pets, which were more comic relief than anything else at first but actually turned out to be pretty awesome.

The not so good - two major issues. My first issue is
Jai
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the books by this author are addictive. I read one and three weeks later I was halfway through her backlist. As with the rest of the books, there's a lot of action, space fights, and cool technology bandied about. I always enjoy the world building. I also have noted that each of the books so far seem to be in their own universe (or part of the universe) - I haven't seen overlapping names of governments, religions, or races yet. Unless I missed one. There are common things in terms of charac ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Games of Command - Linnea Sinclair connected short stories 5 19 Dec 10, 2018 04:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Search Bug? 2 96 Oct 20, 2015 12:26PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: The other August Alt-Alt - Discuss Games of Command 13 74 Aug 18, 2014 11:09PM
Rewritten? 1 22 Jan 26, 2009 08:55AM

• Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Unmasked (UN-Forgettable, #4)
  • Tales From The SFR Brigade
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Close Contact (Alien Affairs, #2)
  • In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition Rebellion, #1)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
  • The Key (Project Enterprise, #1)
  • The Power of Two (2176 Series, #4)
Winner of the prestigious national book award, the RITA, science fiction romance author Linnea Sinclair has become a name synonymous for high-action, emotionally intense, character-driven novels. Reviewers note that Sinclair’s novels “have the wow-factor in spades,” earning her accolades from both the science fiction and romance communities. Sinclair’s current release is HOPE'S FOLLY and, schedule ...more