Start by marking “Agile Project Management with Scrum” as Want to Read:
Agile Project Management with Scrum

Agile Project Management with Scrum

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,150 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The rules and practices for ScrumOCoa simple process for managing complex projectsOCoare few, straightforward, and easy to learn. But ScrumOCOs simplicity itselfOCoits lack of prescriptionOCocan be disarming, and new practitioners often find themselves reverting to old project management habits and tools and yielding lesser results. In this illuminating series of case stud ...more
Published February 11th 2004 by Microsoft Press (first published October 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Project Management with Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Project Management with Scrum

Ruth
Apr 11, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Software Developers, Project Managers, Group leaders, and bosses of any kind
Recommended to Ruth by: Lars Trieloff
Agile makes software development a human activity, instead of the stressful, pressured, life-eating occupation it often turns into. Agile and Scrum allow us to act as whole people in our professions, responsible, creative, fulfilled, respected.. and still actually have decent mental health and time for a social life. Agile streamlines projects into creating what is actually needed, and reduces risk by building in lots of inspect-and-give-feedback opportunities and reprioritizing work as changes ...more
Micah Tan
Would have preferred less "bad situation + Scrum = good situation" type rah-rah anecdotes. Common pitfalls, a deeper discussion of tensions in applying the framework to different types of organizations and situations, and an exploration of different methodologies that still fit within the Scrum framework would have been preferred.
Robin
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An excellent, readable, brief introduction to Scrum. Only Chapter 1 is devoted to the theory of Scrum; the rest of the book respects the author's strong view that Scrum can't be learned by studying the theory--a team must apply it to a practical situation in order to truly get a handle on Scrum. Schwaber accepts the limitations of the book format by turning quickly to case studies, showing how Scrum has been applied in various complex situations, including how Scrum has been mangled in its appli ...more
Supreeth Rajan
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the book. This was purely because my previous project followed agile. The book is a collection of events, is it the best way to start? Not sure. There are other Scrum Books which can give you the grasp of Scrum and then may be read this book for understanding how or what can happen. At that point, this is a good book. Start of with other Agile/Scrum books / cards and then come to this.
Mark
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May be a bit dated now, but still some great stories to describe how people live in the Scrum framework.
Prajakta Deosthali
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
As complexity of the tasks increases, the central control system breaks down.
Scrum is built on 30 day learning cycle to prove a complete business cycle. Helps us learn rapidly. In one scrum cycle of 30 days, a software is built, tested, integrated and the most important of all, released to production.
Scrum is a process to manage complex projects. It does not describe what to do in every situation. It provides a framework and set of guiding principles, instead.
*** Common sense is a combination
Jeanne Boyarsky
"Agile Project Management with Scrum" is a series of case studies to make points about using Scrum properly.

The book begins with an overview of Scrum. The majority of it is introducing a company and showing how they (mis) used Scrum. It's an excellent example of learning from the mistakes of others rather than repeating them on your own.

This really gets called out in the lessons learned section for each case study. I would have liked some tips on how project managers should deal with "insulati
Francis
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, written by one of the founders of Scrum, gives a rich variety of anecdotes on applications of Scrum to various scenarios. It is best suited as a sequel to introductory courses/readings that define the basic Scrum processes, since it concentrates mainly on ways of implementing Scrum principles in various circumstances. There are some enlightening boundary cases (e.g., the time he had to stealth-implement Scrum without letting anyone find out). The stories are not entirely seen through ...more
Vladimir Tarasov
You do not find engineering practices in this book. It doesn't contain much theory, but enough to make the reader, which is unfamiliar with Scrum, understand its basics.

This book contains real life examples which one can face during transition to Scrum or running the project using Scrum. Author carefully describes of different situations and their traits, so it will be possible to spot the problem, and then he shows the reader the way it was solved.

However, this book is not a cookbook which cont
Timo Toivonen
Hmm... I bet this book is a go-to scrum book for many people. This was my 2nd reading of it, first was 10 years ago without knowing anything about scrum and the second now after having been part in many scrum projects. The book lays out a realistic view of software project landscape and detects the most obvious pitfalls. I especially liked many "lessons learned" chapters. The book is somewhat "cold" and impersonal, as to the writing style doesn't appeal to me. The layout and oRdering of the chap ...more
Chris
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech, business
This book is an OK set of case studies describing how to use Scrum.

The case studies are nicely organised to help someone who is not familiar with the methodology understand it, and they touch on some interesting tweaks and difficulties that can arise when adopting Scrum. In particular, some of the studies consider political and cultural problems that introducing Scrum or another agile technique might raise and how they could be handled.

On the other hand, the other case studies aren't very intere
Caroline Gordon
Didn't enjoy this book quite so much as the other Agile books I have read. It seems lighter on the details and more simplified. However the case studies are probably the most valuable part of the book, so it makes a good companion to any other books you might read on Agile.
I'm still not quite sure exactly what Agile project management without Scrum is, they seem to be one in the same to me, perhaps I need to read a few more books. It may also be the case that Scrum has become a default technique
Nicholas
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this book to be very useful. It's entirely case studies, with way too much time spent on the technical details of the specific projects described (irrelevant to my understanding and application of scrum in my job), and not enough time spent addressing the hard questions that I've come across in trying to apply scrum. For example, the book mentions frequently that teams should be "self-organizing" but doesn't give much advice for how to help this process. It also doesn't address spe ...more
Craig
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's good to read examples of Scrum being followed. It's also good to see examples where the rules need to be broken. On the down side this book has some pretty poor editing where the author refers to content that is defined in later chapters. The author also refers to "the principle of common sense" and says it is a Scrum principle. It seems like the author might claim anything that is good in the world as Scrum.
Cristen Boorman
Over the last year I have interested in learning more about Agile project management in particular SCRUM practices. So I borrowed this book from the library, to gain more information on SCRUM, to see if I would make a good SCRUM master and what SCRUM actually is.

The book is good as it doesn't just tell you about SCRUM but has real world examples of how SCRUM was used in different companies.

Daniel Halliday
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Not really an explanation of scrum, but a series of case studies. I think it would be very difficult to someone who hasn't used scrum before to start working from this book however if you have used scrum its very useful for getting insight into where you may slip up, or to help get better adoption within the business.
Kristjan Wager
I am sure that if I had not done any Scrum work before I would have found this book to be better. Unfortunately that's not the case, so I found this book outdated and lacking in specifics. Also, the writing was not spectacular, and the book could have used a good editor - it is always a bad thing to refer to a concept (e.g. shashimi) in a case story before actually introducing the concept.
Jesse Houwing
Great book for its time, the examples and stories from Ken still stand. The scrum framework has evolved around it a bit though and some of the more practical guidance isn't exactly as Ken would probably put it nowadays. His later works, software in 30 days and gunthers scrum pocket guide are logical successors to this book in a sense.
Todd Webb
This is a good introduction to Agile Project Management. The book begins with a short overview of the core principles of Scrum. The bulk of the book is then dedicated to stories that illustrate the principles in practice and some of the challenges you might encounter. Recommended for people who are new to Agile.
Ivan
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! It's pleasant to read, concise and full of real world examples.

Some books say "Iterations are the heartbeat of Agile", this one tells you why through some nice real life stories.

Some takeaways:
- not necessary to call it Scrum to make your customer benefit from the process
- iterations are a way of creating a sense of urgency(i.e. small deadline once in a while)
Enlightened
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good insight in Scrum, written by one of its creators. Not a theoretical book, but a combination of a description of the Scrum principles with case studies.

Good start when you are a Scrum newbie.
Muhammad Khan
Very relevant, practical discourse borne out from real world experiences. Highly recommend to anyone involved in projects/programmes with all or some streams using Scrum.

Detailed review here: http://goo.gl/u2fi2
gramakri
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides very useful insights and guidance to avoid the common pitfalls in Scrum implementation.
Read about them at
Tom Panning
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
Scrum can be explained pretty quickly... you don't need a whole book. What this book provides is lots of case studies, organized by topic, so you have the "feel" of Scrum. Now I feel more able to talk with my new team about our process (they're already using Scrum).
Ricardo Vargas
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agile
Classic book of Ken Schawaber about Scrum. If you work/intend to work with Scrum this is a must-have book.

Livro clássico de Ken Schawaber sobre Scrum. Se você trabalha/pretende trabalhar com Scrum esse é um livro que você tem que ter.
Ken
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Learning about SCRUM via case studies is a great way to do it. I would have liked the book to touch on extreme programming more, or discuss the advantages and disadvantages of 2 week, 3 week, or 4 week sprints. It also didn't discuss estimating backlog in story points.
Bryan
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good review of Scrum with examples on how to actually apply it in less than ideal settings (which is usually the case). Because of the wealth of examples the book moves quickly and there are some good ideas in there to apply to software project management.
James Hatton
Ken Schwaber is a co-developer of the Agile methodology and a signatory to the Agile Manifesto. This is his description on using Scrum in project management. If you write software or manage software projects, this book is worth reading.
Komal Mehta
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talking about real project scenarios, this book is a boon to Agile starters from Product owners, Scum masters and teams. However, details of Agile manifesto, and agile principles is missing. Recommended to those who want to understand the application of Agile in their projects.
Xerox
This is Schwaber's second book on Scrum and follows more of a case study approach than his first book (our bible). It also contains an appendix with 'The Rules' for running a scrum process, which will be the basis for our process.
What is a bug tracking and its benefits?? 1 1 Oct 12, 2016 04:24AM
How to select the project management team members? 1 1 Sep 19, 2016 01:47AM
Common Misconceptions about Agile Project Management 1 1 Sep 13, 2016 01:44AM
  • Agile Software Development
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises
  • Ship It!
  • Agile Coaching
  • Planning Extreme Programming
  • Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies: Understanding Patterns of Project Behavior
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »