Start by marking “30 Days to Taming Your Tongue” as Want to Read:
30 Days to Taming Your Tongue

30 Days to Taming Your Tongue

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews

Certified behavioral consultant Deborah Pegues knows how easily a slip of the tongue can cause problems in personal and business relationships. This is why she wrote the popular 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue (500,000 copies sold). Now in trade size, Pegues's 30-day devotional will help each reader not only tame their tongue but make it productive rather than destructive.

W

Published (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue

D
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read with a lot of meat to it. I read it in one day spent in the air flying across the country. It gave me a lot to think about. It is written in a quick and easy day by day format so I plan to reread it a bit every day and look up all the scriptures that go along with each daily chapter. Truly what we say and don't say can and will improve relationships.
Amy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this and going back through it. Practical, short, convicting chapters on every aspect of communication with our mouths. Good lessons to learn for strengthening, building or rebuilding any relationships. Highly recommend it, especially for Christian's in leadership.
Melanie
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book. It was a quick and easy read with a lot of good tips on how to tame your tongue -- which no one can do all on their own.
Sandy Lender
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Smith Pegues has prepared a short, biblically-based guidebook for controlling language and responses in personal and business settings. She’s presented the information in a manner suitable for any learning level in 30 quick chapters. Each chapter addresses a different sin or serious office-place screw-up a person can commit with the tongue—lying, manipulating, slandering, being rude, being discouraging, being loquacious, etc. The book concludes with a “Daily Tongue Evaluation” checklist, ...more
Fredia
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lol... that tongue is a beast!!!! This book was given to me on my birthday 2009 by the parent of a friend of my daughter. She knew I was in radio and after a couple of conversations between us I made the statement..."I talk for a living but I'd love to be able to have that same control OFF the mic!" We don't talk anymore...haven't spoken in years...but her gift to me was the reason we bonded when we did. This one should be required reading for teenagers before they graduate... couples BEFORE the ...more
Megan
30 Days to Taming Your Tongue is a good book to read. Did it take me 30 days to read this book? No. But I can definitely see myself rereading this sometime and actually taking 30 days to read it so I can ponder on each day's reading better. I loved how each day started with a Bible verse and ended with a short affirmation based of the day's reading. All in all, this is a pretty great book.
Read1000books
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
A good, practical, and helpful book. It focuses on one type of "speech malfunction" for each day of the month, including things such as argumentativeness, meddling, retaliating, and loquaciousness (look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls!). A daily speech evaluation survey and list of memory verses are included at the end. Highly recommended.
Robert
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not really finished. For me it is not a book/devotion that you read, rate and catalogue. I have been reading this book for over 3 months. It says 30 days, but I read a chapter every morning and sometimes I go back. This book not only helps you with your flaws, but it helps you to understand and be more compassionate toward others. I absolutely love this book.
Sara
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of things to think about, well beyond cursing or gossip. All scripturally backed. Great author. Look forward to reading more.
Koorihime-sama
BOUGHT THE BOOK AS A GIFT, BUT READ BEFORE GIVING AWAY.
BOUGHT THE BOOK THROUGH AMAZON.COM.

Review/Rating:

1 out of 5
With Deborah Smith Pegues using biblical scriptures as your guides, this book will (or should I say, won’t) help you with what you say and how you should say it, in order to improve both your personal and business relationships.

Let’s see… what to say about this book? All right, let’s start with the reason why I bought a religiously infused (or what I say, “BOOKS WHICH TRY TO MAKE YOU
Christopher Rush
As the title (and subtitle) implies, this is a mostly vapid self-help book. As important as the subject is, Pegues doesn't come across as taking it seriously enough. True, she does talk about the importance of faith in God and quotes a fair number of Bible verses throughout, but the entire presentation is not one that engenders enough confidence or sincerity. While reading it, I kept being reminded of Ben Franklin's autobiography: all one has to do to eliminate the imperfections of the tongue is ...more
Isabel
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I braced myself before reading this book. What kind of advice was I about to get, having already said so much throughout my life? However, I have found that this book rewards a prayerful read. I read it slowly but in less than 30 days. What's the best way I can describe this book? It's not so much a hard and fast "rule book," as a book you read with your heart. I prayed to have my heart in the right place as I read it. As a result, I find myself striving to be more careful about the things I spe ...more
Natalie Vellacott
I read this a while ago as part of a group study on the book of James (in the Bible.) I don't usually endorse the "method approach" to sanctification/dealing with sin nor do I believe that one of the most difficult sins to master can be achieved in 30 days! However, I felt that this book could be very useful if used in the right way. It lists the various sins we commit day in and day out through our speech and suggests ways to mortify them (with prayer.) If nothing else it helps us as Christians ...more
Sarah Jamison
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not a masterwork of exegesis or sanctification, this slim volume is a very thorough, very helpful guide to the general idea of "Speak Life." We may know what speaking life is, in general, but there are many, many ways we unconsciously speak and communicate that are not life giving and life affirming. I used this to co-lead a small group for mothers and other caregivers who were interesting in learning to actively, intentionally regard and change their communication methods with their kids ...more
Brindi Michele
3 1/2 stars. I really liked the idea of this book; however, I feel she takes on a heavy subject very lightly. I was hoping for a deeper reading of each of the 30 different tongues we must tame daily. Pegues breaks each one into a short 2-3 page explanation, including scripture, with a short daily assessment test. I understand this is a supposed to be taken as a daily devotional, but still I think it could have gone deeper. However she does short really well, so I'd highly recommend for someone l ...more
Christi Spicuzza
I'm still reading this book, and have made it a goal to read one "day" every day for 30 days. I just finished day 6 and I am benefitting from the knowledge of what the Bible says about our tongues and our words, however, I am slightly bothered by the fact that this book changes translations of the Bible too frequently to "prove" what it is saying.
I like that the author writes as if she is sitting with you having a conversation. I do think that at times she uses too much slang though. This is a v
Sharon
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: nonfiction
A slender volume, easy to read, that might just change your life. The book has Christian religious references, but the basic information is excellent for every person. The book is structured so that there is one chapter to read each day for 30 days. It's a good book to keep and re-read often. After the first read, maybe choosing a chapter a day is good, as chapters are short. Offers some practical advice for some situations. There's no one this book doesn't pertain to.
Jodi
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Okay - took me more than 30 days to read because I didn't get to it everyday. I have the same problem with most devotional books sadly!! Definitely some things to think about as I read though!

Good things to think about:

p.28 - Time and words are two things that, once gone, can never be recovered. We must take time to weigh our words before we release them.

p. 120 - When my words are many, sin is not absent, but when I hold my tongue, I am considered wise.
Sophi A faustin
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually did not read it 30 days.... I couldn't stop turning the pages to know what else I needed to improve in my personal life.

I love reading these types of books. However there was very little scriptures.
I'm looking forward to more books like this. It's a type of book you can easily lend to someone who is dealing with similar issues. Highly recommend it, especially for Christian's in leadership.
Janelle Hood
Oct 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janelle by: Edward Hood
I did not think that it was helpful. It was a list of things with zero examples of what those things actually were. It did not teach you how to tame your tongue. It was just a list of terms that one should not do, with no explanation of what those terms were in action. To me it was a skeleton that never got any filling in and hoped that no one would notice. I don't need head knowledge. I need a how to guide (which is what this claimed to be). Disappointing.
Pamela Hernandez
This really helped me a lot. The things I have to say and not to say. We should as well reflect His character even in our speech. Im a loud and a tactless woman when it comes to words but little by little I've learned how to express things that would glorify His name. Exposed yourself more of Him and you can't help but to be like Him.
Susan
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very short but very helpful book. Something I will reread many times. Besides convicting me of my misuse of speech, it helps you to understand how other people misuse words in their life. I highly recommend this to anyone. Very insightful!
Jacqueline Clayton
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent Book

Attended a women's conference at saw the author, speak. She was given great, practical advice. This book will allow you to have a "Man in the mirror" moment. I will be rereading those chapters that I am guilty of committing.
Joy Higgs
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to read it again. Very helpful in thinking about your speech, how you talk to people and if you can keep it under control you won't go home after a conversation worrying about what you have said!
Jackie
Nov 18, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Ouch...
Karla
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The tongue is the smallest body part yet the hardest to control! Great read!
Dee
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
enlighting
Greg Van Vorhis
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can use some of this stuff, but it will take work.
Gretchen
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I should pick up every time prior to opening my mouth. It just helped me recognize a lot of not-so-good traits I have.
Amanda Logo
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
check http://logo-party-of-6.blogspot.com for my daily reviews of this devotional [click the tab: 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue (Devotional)]
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience
  • Finding Freedom from Anxiety and Worry
  • Project: Organization: Quick and Easy Ways to Organize Your Life
  • How to Handle Adversity
  • Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover -Bible Study Workbook
  • Law of Connection: The Science of Using NLP to Create Ideal Personal and Professional Relationships
  • How to Study the Bible for Yourself

$7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful. PROVERBS 12:22” 0 likes
“Peter warns us, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech” (1 PETER 3:10).” 0 likes