Start by marking “Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise” as Want to Read:

(Agile Software Development Series)

"We need better approaches to understanding and managing software requirements, and Dean provides them in this book. He draws ideas from three very useful intellectual pools: classical management practices, Agile methods, and lean product development. By combining the strengths of these three approaches, he has produced something that works better than any one in isolation ...more
Published December 27th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Software Requirements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Software Requirements

Start your review of Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
Henri Hämäläinen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
First of all, I think the book title sucks. Dean Leffingwell's book is named Agile Software Requirements, but it is all about the Enterprise Agile model called Scaled Agile Framework (a.k.a. SAFe). I don't understand why that couldn't have been the title of the book also.

I have hands on experience about SAFe model, when it was invented (at least partly) at Nokia. I was heavily involved in taking it in to use in Multimedia area. I don't want to talk too much about SAFe model this time, I try to c
Katharine
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good overview of how Agile fits into a very large enterprise. Other agile books I read seemed only written for small teams. This one scales it up all the way through the organization and gives a framework. Gave a book club at work on this one.
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I expected a book on agile requirements, but this is not just about requirements. Instead Dean has compiled the most comprehensive work on agile to date.
The book covers agile at team, programme and enterprise level expertly laying out practices and principles at all levels to guide an enterprise.
He provides an easy adaptable and lightweight blueprint of how to organise an agile enterprise from ideation and strategy down to daily operations in teams. An amazing accomplishment.
This is a must re
Uriel Vidal
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scrum
Es un libro muy amplio sobre SAFe en que describe a partir de como funcionan los requerimientos como funciona cada parte de ese marco de referencia. Es un libro exhaustivo y en ciertas partes toma un modo académico, por lo que puede resultar a ser cansado si no se está acostumbrado a este tipo de lecturas.
Es muy recomendable este libro si estás en una empresa que está adoptado SAFe o eres nuevo y no conoces nada de ello, incluso si no se sabe nada de métodos ágiles. No sé si pudiera ser referenc
Piotr Gregorczyk
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is not only about requirements but also about Agile per se. It's rather long and detailed book and if you are familiar with SAFe some parts might be boring. However, some parts of the book are truly inspiring including Product Owner role(s) in a large enterprise and what are Agile pitfalls. Personally, my favorite chapters are about scaling the agile to a portfolio and how to set up large projects.
Milan
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book title is a bit misleading, as this book covers not only requirements part of the agile, but all aspects of agile in software development at various levels of enterprise companies (from investment themes, to epics / features / stories). It has nearly 500 pages and lot of stuff is well known, but there are some goodies.
Paulo
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Pra que isso tudo?
Tanushree Das
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone wanting to learn and understand SAFe this is the book for you. I absolutely loved it. I was able to grasp and implement most of the things.
David Jellison
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This handbook provides a SAFe framework for scaling the product road map across many agile teams that supports both independent and coordinated release cycles. It introduces an hierarchy of Epic/(Sub-epic)/Feature/Story/Task order, where Epics are managed by a cross-functional project management body and Features are owned by team leadership. It supports many of the better agile practices today, including the practices spelled out in the Martin Fowler and Mike Cohen book series. Both "Agile Test ...more
Andrei
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
I have been told by agile practitioners that this is on the best books on the subject. Being an agile enthusiast myself, I found it to be a real mind opener. I loved how it explained the roles in agile on both team and program level. I also loved how they suggested transition paths from traditional project managers to agile project managers. Although it is a software methodology book, I would say it is and easy to moderate read. The explanations are clear, lots tips and tricks that you can immed ...more
Rick Austin
Fantastic and a gotta have for any organization that is trying to bridge the impedance mismatch between teams doing agile development and an organizations portfolio management and release management functions.

I frankly believe the title is slightly misleading because it is so much more than a book on agile software requirements. I suppose I understand why since Scaling Software Agility was already taken - that was his list book :-)

I really can't say enough about this book and the value found wit
Mikael Svahnberg
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
When reading other books about agile/lean, it has always chafed me that they focus exclusicely on the development team level, and assume that stories "magically" appear in the backlog. Instead, this book focus on what goes on in a large enteprise to put the stories into the backlog. As such it is one of the few books I've seen that shows how to scale agile/lean methodologies.

It is a bit wordy, but there are plenty of explaining pictures (some of which are gratuitous) so you can read it quite sel
Kim Leandersson
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book, but not particularly on requirement handling in an agile world, but on how to adopt agile in a large scale.

Sure, the book goes into the usual agile for dummies for one team, but it also covers every part of the agile process with clear examples for both team, program and enterprise.

It so far the only book I've found that deals with the added complexity of running agile on a large scale (with releases, architecture, NFR, different cadence etc). Truly recommended for anyone with an
June Ding
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Basically a book on SAFe framework, on how to scale Agile. A must read if you think about doing large scale Agile projects. The idea on team level, program level and portfolio level is spot on and can be a great tool. It maybe considered a bit prescriptive but I think everyone can customize and adopt what works for your organisation. What is lacking for me is that it is such a big book on requirement but it mentions nothing about business process reengineering or story maps.
Lyndon
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was sceptical about SAFe but found the book really pragmatic. lots of practical approaches to the real challenges you face with agile in larger environments. In a perfect world you should not have to use some of these and could apply a "purer" agile approach but in many environments these may help you get benefit when you are not able to overcome resistance with other approaches.
Daniel Nishi
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: programming
Agile Software Requirements read like an advertisement for the Agile development method -- it's more of a **how** guide, rather than something which gives justifications or substance as to **why**. Consider it a good resource if you're looking to implement a full agile process to your business, but not if you're looking for research into the value of agile development as a practice.
Francois D’Agostini
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for structuring Agile into the enterprise level. However, better take this as one of the many possibilities rather than applying it by the book.
Agile is really about decentralization and an empowerment mindset. So having a book to "organize" agile seems a bit outdated

But the concepts of programs are good. I'm using it in my company
Adrienne
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
It should be required reading for anyone helping a company through an agile transformation. I read it cover to cover and marked up many of the pages. Quite a useful desk reference, at least until the next methodology comes along...
Scott Brown
Good textbook on lean software requirements. It was instrumental in shaping a program level presentation on the performance and reliability of our systems. Most agile books focus on the team and Leffingwell focuses on a broader audience; teams, programs and enterprises.
MrSnow76
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview about working with Software Requirements. Not only good for POs but also Scrum Masters and Management to learn about how to deal with requirements beyond the team level (features, epics, themes).
This book is the foundation of the later SAFe framework.
Julie
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was marketed as being useful for managing multiple agile teams within a portfolio. Instead, it was primarily (~80%) a rehash of how to do Agile, which plenty of other books have already addressed.
Christian
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
my agile bible ...
Steen Sørensen
A very good journey through the trade of defining and managing requirements in an agile context. A must read book.
Chad Holdorf
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great read for your next level of agility.
Kaspars Koo
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Could be shorter, but in general is a good overview of agile practices for large enterprises.
Collin Rogowski
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Currently the best book on enterprise/scaled Scrum
DavidG
Dec 13, 2016
Chris
Jun 19, 2014
John Galvin
May 07, 2015

• Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • The Startup Way: Making Entrepreneurship a Fundamental Discipline of Every Enterprise
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Agile Software Development Series (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Beyond Requirements: Analysis with an Agile Mindset
  • The Scrumban [R]Evolution: Getting the Most Out of Agile, Scrum, and Lean Kanban
  • A Practical Approach to Large-Scale Agile Development: How HP Transformed LaserJet FutureSmart Firmware
  • The Scrum Field Guide: Practical Advice for Your First Year
  • Agile Analytics: A Value-Driven Approach to Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Software Project Manager's Bridge to Agility
  • Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises
  • Agile Software Development

News & Interviews

“For some teams, a nice, well-formed, and deep backlog gives them a sense of control of their destiny. They can see the work ahead, they can plan for current and future work, and they have a sense of comfort in knowing that they are always working on the next higher-prioritized thing.” 0 likes
“agile teams need short backlogs of small items, a number of which are quite well-articulated and socialized, but only just prior to the iteration boundary in which they will be implemented.” 0 likes