Start by marking “R Is for Rocket” as Want to Read:
R Is for Rocket

R Is for Rocket

The spellbinding power of RAY BRADBURY

He can make you see things
that have never been seen by human eyes....
feel things that no flesh-and-blood
creature has ever felt. He can create visions so
compelling that they literally seem to dance
before your eyes. He can push you back to the
beginnings of time and then suddenly,
without warning, thrust you forward t the outmost
limits of
Mass Market Paperback, 184 pages
Published November 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published October 1962)

To ask other readers questions about R Is for Rocket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about R Is for Rocket

Harry Kane
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lovely thin hardcover with illustrations lived in my room through my childhood and teenage years. At least once a year I would revisit 'R is for Rocket', again and again listening to the forlonrn blare of the preshistoric monster from the deep, fly in Bodoni's virtual rocket, pop 'food pills' and race to the local space-port to watch rockets blast off.
Some day I'll try to pay my respects by writing fiction in which people travel through space in rockets, it rains on Venus, Mars has crumbling
Christian McKay
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Leave me with any Ray Bradbury book, and it will quickly be devoured it short, neat order. You're never sure what you're going with Bradbury. It might be fantasy, it might be sci-fi, it might be a cute story about a boy getting a gift on Christmas. More often than not, it's a hybrid. But one thing's certain about his short story collections: you're going to get some duds.

I avoided this particular collection for a long time because of the title. That was a dumb mistake I'd like to think I'll nev
Kevin Polman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DREAMERS! BE ENCOURAGED. YOU ARE UNDERSTOOD.

Ray Bradbury’s R is for Rocket is a book about and for dreamers… and those who truly desire to understand them. A common character type in his work is the wide-eyed, yearning dreamer who reaches too high, often for a dream beyond his capacity, and who inevitably teeters on the brink of success and failure.

It’s no surprise that Bradbury produced so many pieces that gave voice to themes of blue skies since he himself was a dreamer, a voracious reader and
Linda Robinson
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tomorrow is Ray Bradbury's birthday. I have my own little celebration by reading and rereading as many of his books as I can get my hands on. This year there are five. I chose R is for Rocket to read first because it has The Dragon collected within, and I didn't remember some of the other stories. It's now a favorite. Bradbury is one of our more prolific and short-story-collected writers, and the older I get the happier I am not to remember all of the repeats. On the back of this hardcover first ...more
Ashley
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Before I tell you what I thought of this book, I should note that this is only my second Ray Bradbury book, after Fahrenheit 451. I really, really loved Fahrenheit too.

This book was both good and bad, since it was full of short stories. Seventeen short stories in all and most were science fiction, Bradbury's specialty.
These were my favorites and the reasons why:

The Fog Horn - Loch Ness is in love with a foghorn. What is there not to like?
The Long Rain - By far the most horrifying of all the stor
Sandi
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Some of the stories are dated but the prose is not. If you loved the Martian Chronicles, you will love this book.
Ahimsa
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
So it turns out I just don't like Ray bradbury very much. I'm kinda surprised to realize it. I think it might be because he writes from the heart and I prefer stories of the head. There is a sentimentality to things like October Tree (and many of these stories) that means a lot to many people but feels contrived and cheesy to me. Where he does try to be clever (like Sound of Thunder or the Exiles) he falls well short.

Many of these stories are about nuclear families where the dad loves rockets.
Conor Bateman
Highlights: The Fog Horn, The Rocket, The Long Rain
Benjamin Chandler
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ray Bradbury was my first "favorite author."

I'm sure that's true for lots of people.

There was a bookstore in Milwaukee, somewhere on the East Side, called Webster's Bookstore, the only bookstore during my childhood to have a special section just for dinosaur books. I pestered my father often to take me there, and sometimes he acquiesced, and I would slowly make my way through the shelf devoted to prehistoric things, trying to narrow down the collection to just one book I could ask my father to
cardulelia carduelis
I grew up fairly close to an air field.
Close enough that some days, whilst walking out on the moors, my brother and I would pause and then crouch instinctively as the sky opened and giant metallic blades screamed through the air. Too low to be legal, too high for us to see the pilot's face, close enough to feel the afterburn in our sternums and send us running over the grasses, shouting with joy.
They weren't rockets, of course, but Tornado GR-4's, the wings swept, the enormous nose, the yawning
blakeR
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Back when I first read both of them in high school, I used to think of Bradbury in the same breath as Asimov. Only now do I see the vast gulf that separates the two. Bradbury is actually a writer, whereas Asimov was mostly an idea man.

In reading this short story collection, I'm struck by two things: a) the poetry of his words, and b) the sheer breadth of the subjects he broaches and tones he portrays. I never realized how versatile he was. A lot of his stuff is just bizarre (I'm talking about y
Loton Cagle
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this collection in 7th grade. A few years ago, I bought all the beautiful hardbound reprints from PS Press and also from Subterranean Press. Bradbury stories deserve these editions and they glorify my bookshelves now. Tragically, we just lost a giant. Ray Bradbury has passed away. I grabbed this book and read it after hearing the news.
There are great and famous stories here. The Foghorn....the story of a lighthouse foghorn singing its sad song....and calling up something from the de
Bartolomeu De Bensafrim
After decades of heavy reading came some years of reading nothing.
It felt like there was nothing interesting to read, or that any book i should accept to read should necessarily change my perspective of life - this is easy when we are younger, but gets harder as the years go by.
So for the first time in my life i grabbed a science fiction book and wow! What a wonderful experience. That book did not change my life, nor did it enhance my culture much - it just felt very good to read it. I was impre
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the best book I've read all year. Maybe not technically brilliant, but its heart and soul more than made up for that. It's a collection of short stories written in the '40s and '50s and they are all wonderful. These are the sorts of stories that remind me why I love science fiction: not only do they evoke a sense of joy and wonder at the amazing universe we live in, but Bradbury's writing is poetic, gets under your skin and is a joy to read.

The stories are true Golden Age stuff,
Amanda
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bradbury will always be the quintessential space-themed sci-fi writer for me. His descriptions of space - of the feelings and dreams associated with it - are without equal, and this short fiction collection contains a number of excellent stories that epitomize his style. However, like any collection of short fiction, it does have its weak points. "Here There Be Tygers" is a great example: an ongoing analogy of an unstable planet as a woman - fickle and fake. Well, it was written in the '50s, but ...more
Allison
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite authors growing up, and this collection reminded me why....but I also forgot how sad some of his stories could be, so not they aren't always a picker upper. But isn't that the best thing about short stories? You can move past one and then always go back to it later.

The saddest story was "The Fog Horn" and the next saddest was "The Rocket Man"; and the most disturbing were the "The Long Rain" and "A Sound of Thunder"....my favorite and the most uplifting to me
Christopher Munroe
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, this is a thing now. Bradbury before bedtime. And I continue to be thrilled by it even as I continue to not bother explaining in these five-star reviews precisely WHY you ought to read short stories by Ray Bradbury. Because I shouldn't have to. It's Ray Bradbury. You should know already that it's awesome and the approximate reasons why, even if you've yet to actually read any of his work.

And; If you haven't read any of his work, hang your head in shame. Then go buy some of his work and rea
Fox
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Farewell summer, Ray Bradbury. Got the news just as I finished reading this book.
Christopher Keating
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I spent much of 2018 rereading old favorites. This was partly due to time demands and I couldn't devote myself to reading as much as I wanted. Reading something I read decades ago fit into that kind of schedule. But, also, it is a great joy to rediscover stories you enjoyed years ago. Anything by Ray Bradbury is a wonderful adventure and he was one of my all-time favorites. I eventually ran out of new material to read and his books were consigned to the book shelf as old friends. It's been long ...more
David Watson
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having always thought of Ray Bradbury as a science fantasy/horror writer, it was illuminating to see him achieve in this collection some pure science fiction magic. Some of the tales are more fantasy - for example, Uncle Einar, one of the few duds - but the ones that take place on other planets are science fiction every inch of the way. The Long Rain, about a Venus where it rains all the time is totally removed from the reality of Venus, but our knowledge of Venus was much sketchier when Bradbur ...more
Randy
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never fail to be amazed at just how GOOD Bradbury was. He was a poet of the human spirit in a way few writers could match. He remembers what it was like to be young and full of energy and wonder, and he knows/anticipates what it's like to grow old. Most of the stories in this book are only superficially science fiction/fantasy; he just prefers to use those platforms to explore the human heart.

It's important to keep in mind that these stories were written in the 1950's, when our knowledge of th
Danilo
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful. Some of the stories here are Bradbury's best, it's a really good read that keeps you in a nostalgia bubble.

The stories in my personal ranked
1. Here there be tygers
17. The Dragon
Dan
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Norman Cook
"King of the Gray Spaces" ("R is for Rocket") (Famous Fantastic Mysteries, December 1943) - 18-page short story.

This early Bradbury story is not so much a story as it is a sentimental musing, filled with lyrical word pictures. It packs an emotional punch that speaks to me as I was also once a boy longing to take flight on a rocket to the stars (and achieved that dream by becoming a rocket engineer). This story definitely belongs on the Retro Hugo ballot, and it won't surprise me if it wins.
Vincent Anthony
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the third collection of stories by Ray Bradbury that I have read, the first two being different editions of The Illustrated Man.
This collection of stories is another example of Bradbury's mastery of writing excellent space-age science fiction.
Some highlights of this book (excluding those I've previously read from The Illustrated Man) for me are: The Rocket, The Strawberry Window, and Frost and Fire.
Xabi1990
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/10. Media de los cuatro libros leídos del autor: 8/10

Sólo he leído cuatro de Bradburu : los obligados Farenheit 451 y Crónicas marcianas, Tres x infinito y este. Y esos otros tres una gozada. Este no está mal para ser relatos cortos.
Preston Postle
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've always found Bradbury's process interesting: write a fistful of short stories and then cobble them together into a novel. The seeds of several of the master's books can be found in this collection. Nobody writes like Uncle Ray ...
Roger
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Some of these stories have stayed with me nearly 40 years. Great to meet them again. Others I doubt meant as much to me at that age as they do now, especially the last story, about a pair of sneakers in a shop window, but really about boyhood.
Dale Jones
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again Bradbury never disappoints with writing another great collection of short stories. Best Stories: The Fog Horn, The Rocket, The Rocket Man, A Sound of Thunder, The Long Rain, The Exiles, Frost, and Fire.
Seth
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Filled to bursting with that SF Sense of Wonder. A classic. Read it!
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • Shatterday
  • The Best of C.L. Moore
  • Star Songs of An Old Primate
  • The Planet on the Table
  • Starshine
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more
“She went away, and the fireflies, on their electric circuits, fluttered after her like an errant constellation, showing her how to walk in darkness. I heard her say, faintly, "We've got to try, anyway.” 1 likes
“You have a right to youth. Go now, if you want. Because if you stay you'll have no time for anything but working and growing old and dying at your work. But it is good work.” 0 likes